amplifier selection

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2000, 12:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question amplifier selection

OK I'll post the first topic here since 12-26 I just posted a question under spydog's topic about power needed for speakers. I am looking at adding an amp to my sc. What do you feel is the qualities of a good amp? I don't plan on waking the neighbors with my stereo, but I do want to feel the power of a clean, distortion free system. Is a 35X4 system enough to be satisfied with, keeping in mind I don't want to spend a huge amount of cash (around $250) Any and all opinions welcome, thanks.

------------------
00 supercab, 5.4,4x4, stay up too late on this site!

Old 02-03-2000, 03:01 AM
Are you using stock speakers or aftermarket? I would recommend aftermarket speakers along with an amp, and if you can afford it components in the front. I would think though for most applications that wattage of amp should be sufficient as long as you get a good one. Remember, in sound systems you get what you pay for, especially with amps.

------------------
97 F-150 S/C 4x4 ORP XLT 4.6 K&N , Flowmaster w/dual tailpipes, Bosch+4 plugs,MSD 8.5 wires,Superchip.Patriot fiberglass toneau cover, Westin chrome step bars.
Kenwood 4011 stereo, Rockford 150a1 amp, Profile electronic crossover, and 2 10" JBL's.

Old 02-03-2000, 02:07 PM
I plan on using mb quart components in the front, and am trying to decide if I should use aftermarket midbass speakers (limited frequency range, but more bass) or some quality aftermarket full range coax for the rear in my supercab. I would use an amp with built in crossovers to feed the low frequencies to the rear if I go with just the midbass speakers. I saw these in Crutchfield, but have not actually listened to these speakers. The wife didn't go for the subwoofer idea, so I'm trying a compromise here.

------------------

Old 02-03-2000, 10:28 PM
A friend of mine just put a new stereo system in his '97. I have been helping him with it for a while. He went the Head unit, amp and 4 upgraded co-ax. I knew it would sound better than the crap they put in at Ford but it still wasn't right (he had the equipment left over so it didn't hurt to try $$$ wise). We later put in MB Quarts seperates up front and 8" subs in the factory door locations. I took some doing but it sounds great.
We fortified the doors with wooden ribs, felt and thermoplastic sealant to make a sealed encloser (we hope). Later we added a removable 10" sub box and amp combo. The sub box, and amp takes about 10mins to install or remove. It has plug ins for power, ground, remote on, andd RCA's.
The 8's sound great with the MB Quart up front. My advice to you is to spend the time and/or $$$ to get this done. The 8's bump without being too much boom. If you get bored later on down the line you can always add a bigger sub and amp.
It was a very good experience helping him build his, I will somewhat duplicate his system in the spring.
Re: your amp. Look for an American made amplifier with MOSFET technology. Look for an amp that can handle a low impedence such as 1 Ohm or lower.
Bottom line if the wife says no to the subs, install the 8's, amp and MB Quart seperates. She might later want a bigger sub and if not... it will still sound very good.
One last tidbit for ya...THUNDER has brought up some points about soundstaging using Q forms in the kick panels, you might want to give that some consideration before you decide on the MB Quart's new home.
hope this helps
Bruce

------------------
'97 F-150 Lariat,4.6, S/C, 4X4, SB, 17"wheels, no mods.

Old 02-03-2000, 11:21 PM
jumpn,
let me give you my 2 cents of the amp question..i think you can get a good 50wx4 for under 250..digitalwavez.com,kenwood kac848 $239.00,if that is what you want to spend of course..what i have really noticed about my mb quart coax's that i have in my front doors is that they crave power,because they can handle it.and these are just the 35-90 rms cheapy coax's,i could imagine what the comps crave.i believe member CHARLES F, has the kenwood kac848 amp and from what he has said is very happy..and if you look at where your post is on "how much power that i need",fordyfour is happy with his 25wx4 once again i recommend surfing soundomain.com for point of views.most of them guys are into the competition high dollars stuff though...ppi.xtant,hifonics etc...good stuff no doubt ,just to rich for my blood..personal preference is the key word..

------------------
99 f-150 xlt,black,s/c flareside,4.6 v8,5-speed manuel,3.55,17" sport rims w/bfg 275/60's,k&n gen II fipk,flowmaster 2-chamber 40 dual exhaust, kenwood kdc-s5009 cd player,kenwood kac-x646 multi channel amp,mb quart dkc113 5.25 speakers front,kenwood excelon x576c speakers rear ,viper 800 alarm,mobil 1 user, superchip wont work (houston,texas): wish list:snuglid hard tonneau,bedrug,belltech 2/3 drop
email: fdelgado@hypercon.com

Old 02-03-2000, 11:52 PM
Thanks for everyones input. I went to a different install shop today and got some price quotes and product info. Installer recommended the Memphis 5x7 with the moveable tweeter up front, and said he would have no problem fitting 8's in the supercab doors. He recommended a 50X4 US acoustics amp. Unsure if it is MOSFET powered, will double check. The Memphis speakers were $110, and the pair of 8" Hollywood's are $120. I think the amp was $240. I think I'll do the memphis installation myself, but leave the amp and 8's to the pro. A little easier on the wallet this way, but I will check out other amps before installing. BTW, I checked out sounddomain forum last night. Man, they know their stuff, 80% of the product I haven't heard of before, don't know the obscure, high-end units they seem to like

------------------

Old 02-04-2000, 11:18 AM
Cool

jumpn,
sounds good to me..i have heard the memphis speakers in a ford truck and they sound good. i would defiantely save the money and put the 5x7 's in yourself,super easy.there is a post in here somewhere that gives detailed instructions...i do not know how far the tweeter sticks out those memphis,but when i put my kenwood excelon speakers in the back door,i found that the panel was pressed up against the tweeter,and i could not angle the tweeter. i will solve this problem somehow this weekend...later dude

Old 02-04-2000, 05:30 PM
Jumpn: I've just had Memphis speakers put into my crew cab. They sound fantastic!!! My husband also hates the sub (10" in custom box under rear seat) but I'm able to tone it down with my amp, so he's happy when he rides with me. And when he's not with me, I crank the bass back up If you can afford it, look into the Memphis 6 1/2" Multisync, they sound soooo much better than the 5x7's. Then I saved money and put the cheaper 5x7 2way speakers in the rear. My amp I got from Crunchfield on sale, last years model. I went to my local stereo store to get info and hear it then ordered and had stereo store install. See if you can find any year end sales or last year models, they usually go for incredibly low prices. Personally, I'd say buy the best speakers you can for the front, cheap for the rear and either an 8 or 10" sub. I was also told to keep all the speakers the same brand. I don't know if it acutally makes a difference but all my speakers are Memphis and they do sound good IMHO of course My amp powers all of them. It's able to direct more power to the sub than to the speakers. Check and see if any dealers in your area carry clarion and check it out.

------------------
2000 F250 Crew Cab 4x2 6 speed Diesel XLT Super Duty, Woodland Green
Power Mirrors, 3.73 LS, Captains Chairs, ARE tonneau top, mud flaps
Trailer tow Pkg, Class IV hitch, sliding rear window, running boards
rear privacy glass, 265/75/16 AS OWL tires, am/fm/cassette/cd
Clarion APA 5240 amp, Memphis speakers:Components front, 5x7 rear, 10"sub
SuperChip

Old 02-07-2000, 02:13 AM
Thumbs up

USAcoustic amps are great for the money, that would be excellent to power your speakers with. It is Mosfet yes.

------------------
98 XLT, 4.6L V8, Reg. Cab, S/S, Dark tinted windows, Ranch Hard Tonneau Cover, Better Built Bed Rails, Lund Lunar Visor, Smitty Bilt Sure Step Bars, Headlight/Tailight Covers, Deflecta-shield window guards and bug shield, Duraliner Bed Liner, Pioneer Premier P98R CD player, Kicker Resolution 5.2 component set in front, 2 12" Kicker Solobaric Subs, 2 Kicker ZR240's for subs, Kicker ZX460 for components and rear, Alumapro 15 farad the CAP

Quick Reply: amplifier selection