Question about 5 channel amp

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-1999, 10:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Question about 5 channel amp

I've decided to start working on a nice stereo setup for my new F150. My plan is to replace the head unit and all 4 speakers and put a couple of subs under the rear seat of the extended cab. I've been looking at a Sony amp (XM-405EQX) that is rated at 40W x 4, plus 100W x 1. My Crutchfield catalog says that this series of amps (XM-xxxEQX) is 2 Ohm stable in stereo. So, my question is this...can I run a 4 Ohm load on the 4 channels (main speakers) AND a 2 Ohm load on the 5th channel (subwoofers) or do all 5 channels have to run the same load?

Also, if you have any recommendations of any similar amps (5 channel with built in crossover) at a similar price ($300-$400) with similar power, please let me know.

Thanks for any info, as I am VERY new to this stuff, but am really loooking forward to starting on it!

------------------
99.5 F150 X-Cab 4x4 SB, 5.4L V8, Deep Wedgewood Blue/Dark Graphite, Off-Road Pkg, 3.73 Limited Slip, Tow Pkg, Captain's Chairs, CD, Airaid, Luvernve Stainless Nerf Bars, Lund Frontrunner bug deflector, Lund Eclipse taillight covers, Lund Eclipse side window covers.

Old 08-09-1999, 11:33 AM
Call a Crutchfield Sales advisor and ask that question. I'll bet they would have the answer.

Later,
ALA G8R

------------------
97 Lariet SC Flare 4x4, Red/Silver, 5.4L, 3.55LS, ORP
**Superchip, K&N w/ ABM, Flowmaster
** Westin Nerf Bars, Soft Tonneau, Bel Radar Detecter
** Pioneer CD Player, Infinity 57.1CS components up front, Polk 572a's in back, MTX 5000 Thunderform subs, 300 Watt Soundstream Amp for sub, Rockford Fosgate 400a4 for front/rear, Audio Control EQX.

Old 08-09-1999, 01:02 PM
Yeah, I noticed it was a pretty large amp (roughly 17" x 11"), but with my sub enclosures, I pretty much figured I was going to lose the ability to fold down the back seats anyway...oh well, I guess if I have to haul anything, it'll just have to go in the bed/box of the truck.

------------------
99.5 F150 X-Cab 4x4 SB, 5.4L V8, Deep Wedgewood Blue/Dark Graphite, Off-Road Pkg, 3.73 Limited Slip, Tow Pkg, Captain's Chairs, CD, Airaid, Luvernve Stainless Nerf Bars, Lund Frontrunner bug deflector, Lund Eclipse taillight covers, Lund Eclipse side window covers.

[This message has been edited by MattT (edited 08-09-1999).]

Old 08-09-1999, 06:33 PM
If the amp is 2 ohm stable (make sure the sub channel is 2 ohm stable) You can run any combination on any channel, just dont go below 2 ohms or your asking for trouble.

I wouldnt buy an amp for its rated 2ohm power, if it doesnt produce enough watts at 4 ohm rated value for your needs, you need to spend more money, in MOST cases. More heat with 2ohms.

------------------
1997 F150 5.4l V8 - BLACK - 4x4 ORP - Kenwood Excelon Head Unit & 10 Disc Changer - Rockford Fosgate 400.a4 & 55.2 amplifiers - Rockford Fosgate 8inch Subwoofers - Boston Acoustics & Clif Design Speakers

Old 08-09-1999, 09:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Since you only have a heavy load on the sub channel then you shouldn't have any thermal problems.
As with any amp, if it is too hot to leave your hand on it it's time to turn down the volume.
Remember HEAT is what burns up amps.

------------------
99 XLT 5.4l reg cab
5 star larait style wheels
Toreador red 2tone
3.55 gears
255/70/16 OWL
Delta toolbox
Eclipse cd player
Sherwood amp
subwoofer coming soon
More mods as funds become avalible.

Old 08-10-1999, 12:15 AM
My original plan was to put the same AMP in that you are going to use. Problem I had was there was no place to mount it. It wouldn't go under either of the front seats. We looked at putting it under the back seat in my SC but it would have meant not being able to put the back seat down at all.

This is just my experience. If someone else has found a diffrent way to mount that amp, I would be interested to know how.

Randy

------------------
'98 XLT SC, 4.2V6, 4spd Auto, BugflectorII, 50th Aniversery Flooor Mats, K&N Filter, Hard Tonneau Cover, Billet Grill and Insert, Sony CDX-6850 Head Unit, Soundstream Rubicon 405 Amp, JBL GTO 5x7's All 4 Doors, Qlogic 8" sub-enclosure with Kicker Punch XLC Woofer,SuperBrite Bulb Replacements...and More Mods to Come

http://206.170.51.68/truck

Old 08-10-1999, 04:52 AM
Yes, most amps today on the market are 2 ohm stable. Your desired setup should be fine, which you can confirm if you can find out the specs of the amp possibly thru the Sony web page or (mentioned before) from Crutchfield.

If you want more basic information about car stereos then I would recommend you check out a web page:www.mobileaudio.com/rac-faq/
it is good info for beginners and experienced individuals.

My only suggestion when looking at different amps is the continuous power output or watts/RMS:ie..35 watts RMS, which is covered in section 3.4 (components). Make sure your location has sufficient ventilation to cool off your amp. Remember heat is a byproduct of any car stereo component. Lastly, don't get skimpy on your RCA's to the amps, at least a decent gold-plated & double shieled RCA's!

Quick Reply: Question about 5 channel amp