amp for premium audio

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-1999, 12:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
amp for premium audio

Ok, here's the deal:

I have the premium audio with the six disc changer. I want to add an amp and two more speakers. How do I do it?

Thanks for any info

Old 06-24-1999, 07:43 AM
I can point you in a direction that can answer your question. Try www.crutchfield.com I ordered my amp through them at a huge savings. There's also a # 1-800-955-3000 But I would suggest you try their site first and see what all it can tell you and then call if you need to.

------------------
97F150 XLT SC 4x4 Flairside 4.6 V8 5sp Dk Toreador Red, 3.55LS
Hard tonneau cover, p255/70rx16 tires (came w/235), Superchip
Pioneer CD w/4 Polk Speakers & Clarion APA5240amp, skid plates
bed liner, side window deflectors, reese hitch, K&N air filter
40s-2chamber Flowmaster, Bosch +4 spark plugs
Ziebart rustproofing & sound deadener

Old 06-24-1999, 01:04 PM
I too was ready to "amp up" the stock system until I spoke to one of the guys at the local high-end audio shop (I've known the guy for years, so I know he wasn't throwing me a sales pitch). He pointed out that the stock systems have a highpass filter built in that is related to the volume level set on the factory head unit. The higher the volume, the less "low end" that is passed to the speakers. He indicated that it wasn't as big a deal if you aren't going to add a subwoofer, but running a sub through an amp that is fed with the signal from the factory head unit is "like watering your garden with a squirt gun" (his description). Replacing the factory fronts and running them with an amp will produce better sound, but a 6x8 or 5x7 just doesn't produce much bottom end.

------------------
99 F-150 4x2 S/C, 5.4L, Lariat, Black / Gold, 3.55 l/s, Tonneau...more to come!!

Old 07-29-1999, 09:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can you replace a standard head unit w/ a "premium" head unit?
What adapters are required if any?
Must you have the amp in conjuntion w/premuim system?
I've tried aftermarket cd player but I like the look feel and fit of the factory system.

Old 08-01-1999, 01:43 AM
Hmmm....I don't know about that 54reg....To my knowledge, and I could be very well be wrong on this...but I think the "premium" stereo from Ford is a little different. What they do is add an amp to each speaker..so I don't know exactly what adapters or what else you would need.

Chaz

------------------
98 XLT, 4.6L V8, Reg. Cab, S/S, Dark tinted windows, Ranch Hard Tonneau Cover, Better Built Bed Rails, Lund Lunar Visor, Smitty Built Sure Step Bars, Headlight/Tailight Covers, Deflecta-shield window guards and bug shield, Duraliner Bed Liner, Alpine CDA-7832 CD player, Kicker Resolution 5.2 component set in front, 2 12" Kicker XPL Subs, Kicker ZR600 & ZX460 Amps, Monster Cable 1 farad IntelliCap

Old 08-01-1999, 01:45 AM
Actually...I take that back...there is an amp, but not a different one for each speaker...the lovely installers at Best Buy told me that..there is however the one external amp, that you need with the premium head unit, because I don't think the premium head unit has any power coming out of it.

Chaz

------------------
98 XLT, 4.6L V8, Reg. Cab, S/S, Dark tinted windows, Ranch Hard Tonneau Cover, Better Built Bed Rails, Lund Lunar Visor, Smitty Built Sure Step Bars, Headlight/Tailight Covers, Deflecta-shield window guards and bug shield, Duraliner Bed Liner, Alpine CDA-7832 CD player, Kicker Resolution 5.2 component set in front, 2 12" Kicker XPL Subs, Kicker ZR600 & ZX460 Amps, Monster Cable 1 farad IntelliCap

Old 08-02-1999, 12:41 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think I got it figured out.
The speaker/power harness that go into the head unit are the same.
The 2nd plug is for speed sensitive volume and rear seat controls
The premium unit has a 3rd plug for the amp, however you can use an aftermarket amp with a special adapter that plus into the head unit.
The 4th plug is for the cd changer?
If anybody know any different please correct me.
This only applies to 99 models

Quick Reply: amp for premium audio