$1000 to spend...

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 11:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
$1000 to spend...

I've currently got a 2005 FX4 SCab with the 6 disc Audiophile option.

If you had $1000 to spend on upgrading that system, what you get and why?

- NCSU

Edit, whoops, didn't mean to post this here...

Last edited by NCSU_05_FX4; 04-25-2008 at 03:58 PM.
Old 04-06-2008, 12:49 AM
maybe new speakers.....a sub...amp....see how much it all comes out to total

Old 04-06-2008, 05:24 AM
I would put a set of Hertz MB glassed in the doors and a new sub/amp combo. Two Eclipse amps for the highs and maybe Pioneer XDV-P9 or ND-BC1

Old 04-06-2008, 12:48 PM
first things first get new door speakers, if you get subs without getting new speakers and turn them up the vocals are going to be horribly distorted then i would look into some woofers my suggestion is kicker or jl

Last edited by Shocker6999; 04-06-2008 at 06:30 PM.
Old 04-06-2008, 05:52 PM
Originally Posted by Shocker6999
first things first get new door speakers if you get subs and turn them up the vocals are going to be horribly distorted then i would look into some woofers my suggestion is kicker or jl
That was a useless post that had absolutely no truth behind it.

Anyways.. Back on topic, What is your goal? Tryin' to make an all out SPL monster? Or are you looking for Sound Quality? Maybe a little mixture of both? Are you possibly joining a limited class in any audio competitions. How much room (gross Cu. Ft.) do you have for a sub-stage? Just a few things to consider.

It's not as easy as just throwing out names like JL or Kicker. There's WAY more to the home/mobile audio world than that..

Old 04-06-2008, 06:28 PM
Originally Posted by dB-SPL
That was a useless post that had absolutely no truth behind it.

Anyways.. Back on topic, What is your goal? Tryin' to make an all out SPL monster? Or are you looking for Sound Quality? Maybe a little mixture of both? Are you possibly joining a limited class in any audio competitions. How much room (gross Cu. Ft.) do you have for a sub-stage? Just a few things to consider.

It's not as easy as just throwing out names like JL or Kicker. There's WAY more to the home/mobile audio world than that..

thanks for being a d*ck always apreciated i was just naming two of my favorite makers im sorry there not to your liking but they dont have to be all he has to do is type them in on google or anything and compare the subs in his price range with others he has been looking at and as for the speakers thats not useless because i would rather hear nice vocals than distorted ones if you like hearing sh*t then you dont know what music is

Old 04-06-2008, 06:56 PM
Originally Posted by Shocker6999
first things first get new door speakers, if you get subs without getting new speakers and turn them up the vocals are going to be horribly distorted then i would look into some woofers my suggestion is kicker or jl
I'm not trying to be a d*ck. But you're words are vague and misleading. I think we can honestly that you've never set gains/preamp outputs/volumes accordingly. If they are set correctly, explain to me how distortion comes about? By no means am I saying "Stock speakers rock" or anything of the nature. Distortion comes from clipping. Clipping occurs when you try to send more power to a driver than the amplifer (internal or external) can actually produce which is why peaks in soundwaves get cut or 'clipped'. So, unless you're clipping, your music should have it's full waveform.

Trending Topics

Old 04-06-2008, 07:23 PM
My yet-to-be-patented $1000 system.... which depends on the car, but the general idea is the same. Use ebay! And don't swap out your stock radio.

For the amp, I would get a used Xtant 603X. This is one of the best amps made (before Xtant was bought out). It's a high quality, competition amp. You can get one on ebay for under $300 (sometimes under $200, if you're lucky). It is a 3 channel amp, BUT you can power 5 speakers off of it (the 2 addl channels use the same signal as the left/right channels, so you cant get the front/rear fade, but oh well.... typically I would just leave the stock rears connected to the headunit directly and fade everything to the front).

For speakers, I would go with some real good coaxials or 2-way components. For instance, I would recommend some Morel Integra Ovation coaxials, or Morel Ovation 2-ways. eBay, again, you're looking at under $200. Since you have the audiophile system, you don't need coaxials, but I use these Ovations in my door while I build my kickpanels, they are really good sounding (typically retail near $500). Some people say buy some MB Quartz, they are okay... but whatever you get, I highly recommend a silk dome instead of a metal dome tweeter.

For subwoofer for this setup I would eBay a JL audio 10w3v3. 300 watts RMS, perfect for the Xtant amp that is rated at 300, but probably puts out a little bit more. eBay for $150. For the subwoofer box, www.supercrewsound.com for a decent box, $100.

Finally, you'll need a line out converter (LOC) which is about $50, and a wiring kit which would easily run under $100.

So.... $300 + $200 + $150 + $100 + $50 + $150 = $950. Gives you a bit of breathing room. Good luck!

Last edited by kuruption; 04-06-2008 at 07:27 PM.
Old 04-07-2008, 12:58 AM
Originally Posted by dB-SPL
I'm not trying to be a d*ck. But you're words are vague and misleading. I think we can honestly that you've never set gains/preamp outputs/volumes accordingly. If they are set correctly, explain to me how distortion comes about? By no means am I saying "Stock speakers rock" or anything of the nature. Distortion comes from clipping. Clipping occurs when you try to send more power to a driver than the amplifer (internal or external) can actually produce which is why peaks in soundwaves get cut or 'clipped'. So, unless you're clipping, your music should have it's full waveform.

I agree about 3 steps off base. I can have the stocks in there and a few other things and it sound decent but not muddy...

Quick Reply: $1000 to spend...