Amp install question

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 03:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amp install question

Is it possible to install an amp for your door speakers and a sub amp to a factory headunit. My truck has the audiophile system if it matters. Is there a seperate "output" from the factory radio for the sub?

Old 01-30-2008, 07:59 PM
Originally Posted by dumptruck
Is it possible to install an amp for your door speakers and a sub amp to a factory headunit. My truck has the audiophile system if it matters. Is there a seperate "output" from the factory radio for the sub?
YES you can add an Amp to your factory HU.
Gut your self a LineOut converter this will tie into your speaker wires to grab voltage and give you a place to pulg in your RCA's

You know on mine it was High Level out so if you have a pair of old RCA's cut the ends off and install the same way you would the line out converter.

Check my advice first... I did'nt have an Audiophile system.

Old 01-31-2008, 11:00 AM
Originally Posted by Mr. eXtreme
YES you can add an Amp to your factory U.
Get yourself a LineOut converter this will tie into your speaker wires to grab voltage and give you a place to pulg in your RCA's
Originally Posted by Mr. eXtreme
You know on mine it was High Level out so if you have a pair of old RCA's cut the ends off and install the same way you would the line out converter. Check my advice first... I did'nt have an Audiophile system.
Please explain this more. Are you saying that your amp could recieve high input? From the LOC did you wire this to the rca input on your amp?

The reason for a LOC is so that you can convert a high out(spekerer) to a low out(RCA). The rca inputs on amps is a low input. By just cutting off the ends of the rca's and tapping into the speaker wires and sending signal to the amp would be a high input. DONT DO THIS. If your amp accepts high input then it would be fine, but the rca input is going to be a low input most likely. Amps with a high input normally come with some sort of harness to wire up high.

Hope this helps,
Devildog101

Last edited by Devildog101; 01-31-2008 at 11:02 AM.
Old 01-31-2008, 01:08 PM
Originally Posted by Devildog101
The reason for a LOC is so that you can convert a high out(spekerer) to a low out(RCA). The rca inputs on amps is a low input. By just cutting off the ends of the rca's and tapping into the speaker wires and sending signal to the amp would be a high input. DONT DO THIS.
Again like he said. DONT DO THIS. You can lose a tremendous amt of sound from this way. Also can throw off the impediances to the spks and deck. USE AN LOC!

Old 01-31-2008, 01:38 PM
Originally Posted by Low_e_Red
Again like he said. DONT DO THIS. You can lose a tremendous amt of sound from this way. Also can throw off the impediances to the spks and deck. USE AN LOC!
Thanks for the backup Ryan, I have seen so many guys say that it is ok, but not.

Later,
Devildog101

Quick Reply: Amp install question