JL Amp Settings

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 07:36 PM
Suspended
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JL Amp Settings

For christmas I am getting 2 JL Audio 10w1v2's and a JL 500.1v2 amp. I am going to get circuit city to install everything, but I just want everyones opinion on what the correct setting for the amp I should use.

Last edited by squirtbottle09; 12-23-2007 at 12:10 AM.
Old 12-23-2007, 12:05 AM
Originally Posted by squirtbottle09
For christmas I am getting 2 JL Audio 10w1v2's and a JL 500.1v2 amp. I am going to get circuit city to install everything, but I just want everyones opinion on what they correct setting for the amp I should use.

Old 12-23-2007, 12:09 AM
Suspended
Originally Posted by Low_e_Red
Are there not output setting on the amps? For different speakers they require different settings. Why is this confusing?

Old 12-23-2007, 12:42 AM
Technical Article Contributor

well give us more information so we can help you. setting? that could mean a few different things.

First, you want to set a low pass crossover, set that around 80Hz.

Next, is your box ported? if it is, set your subsonic filter to just below the tuning frequency of your ported box. if your box is sealed, then turn the filter off.

Third, set your gains. do this by turning your HU all the way up untill you begin to hear distortion on your speakers, then turn it down slightly. now, turn up your amp untill you begin to hear distortion, then turn it down a tad bit. now turn your HU volume back down to normal, and you're set.

dont play around with "bass boost" you will clip your speakers.

if this is confusing to you then just have the people at CC do it for you, but its really pretty simple and you should be fine.

Old 12-23-2007, 01:44 AM
Suspended
Well circuit city is a little sketchy. Lol. For some reason my speakers now are messed up. The back to front fade is switched partially with the left to right fade. I dunno. I guess thats why they offer lifetime warrenty on labor.

Old 12-23-2007, 10:59 AM
Originally Posted by mSaLL150
well give us more information so we can help you. setting? that could mean a few different things.

First, you want to set a low pass crossover, set that around 80Hz.

Next, is your box ported? if it is, set your subsonic filter to just below the tuning frequency of your ported box. if your box is sealed, then turn the filter off.

Third, set your gains. do this by turning your HU all the way up untill you begin to hear distortion on your speakers, then turn it down slightly. now, turn up your amp untill you begin to hear distortion, then turn it down a tad bit. now turn your HU volume back down to normal, and you're set.

dont play around with "bass boost" you will clip your speakers.

if this is confusing to you then just have the people at CC do it for you, but its really pretty simple and you should be fine.
+1

And Like Msall said (this is very important) if you have a ported box set the infrasonic filter a half octave below your tuning freq.

Its okay to give a little bit of bass boost but def NOT the 18dB that amp can give. But the settings on the amp will determine where the bass boost will come in at. Go to JL's website. They have a flash site about the settings of the 500/1 and you can see what your subs freq curve will be.

Old 12-23-2007, 02:06 PM
DRJ
Originally Posted by squirtbottle09
Well circuit city is a little sketchy. Lol. For some reason my speakers now are messed up. The back to front fade is switched partially with the left to right fade. I dunno. I guess thats why they offer lifetime warrenty on labor.
Yeah you could take it back and have 'em look at it

Old 12-23-2007, 03:14 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by DRJ
Yeah you could take it back and have 'em look at it
When I go to get my subs installed, I am going to tell them. The box is sealed, I wanted clarity not loudness. I will have to check out the flash on JL's website. Thanks for the help.

Quick Reply: JL Amp Settings