Amp protection light comes on and speakers go in and out

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 03:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amp protection light comes on and speakers go in and out

A few days ago while i was driving down the road my front speakers and my amp just cut out and would come in and out repeatedly. We havn't been able to figure out why its doing this though. Me and my brother have looked, and when the speakers and my amp cut out, the green power light on my amp switches over to the red protection light, and when they come back in, the green light comes back on. We've checked all the fuses and the wires that we can get to. We still have to figure a way to get into my speaker box for my sub, because the guy that sold me the truck glued it shut, so the problem might be somewhere in there. Also, my friend mentioned it might be my headunit but i'm still not sure about that. If you guys can give me any help or point me in the right directions that'd be great. Thanks for the help in advance

-Cody

Old 09-18-2007, 04:16 PM
Could be a short in the wiring somewhere. If the amp is also hooked to the sub, it may be wired to present too low of a load on the amp. But if it is an intermitent problem, I would check all the wires really good.

Old 09-18-2007, 04:17 PM
If you don't think it is a heat issue, try checking the speaker wires running from your amp. It sounds like one of them may be pinched with the insulation cut and is grounding out on some metal. I had this happen, when I was installing my system.

Good luck

Old 09-18-2007, 07:58 PM
sounds like a grounding issue

Old 09-19-2007, 09:47 PM
So i went to my buddy's house today and we checked everything we could think of, the headunit, the ground, the rvc cables, the adapter thing, etc. Finally we checked to see if it was just my amp so we hooked his up to my speakers, and he just happen to not plug my sub wires back in to my amp and my front speakers came back on, and when he plugged them back in, they started messing up again. So we took the back off the speaker box and even inside of it theres nothing wrong with the wiring and im just about a 100% sure my sub isn't blown because it doesnt sound like it at all. So now, does anyone know what it could be now that we've narrowed the problem down to my sub? Thanks again for all ya'lls help

-Cody

Old 09-19-2007, 10:40 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Your sure there isnt a short on your sub wire??

Wired up for an impedence your amp can take for sure?

POSTIVE that the sub isnt ***ered?? Stick a DMM on it and see what you are getting for a resistance reading. It should be pretty close to what your subs rated impence is. If its way off, your sub is most likely the problem.

Old 09-22-2007, 07:54 PM
Cool impedance

Originally Posted by cotedog03
So i went to my buddy's house today and we checked everything we could think of, the headunit, the ground, the rvc cables, the adapter thing, etc. Finally we checked to see if it was just my amp so we hooked his up to my speakers, and he just happen to not plug my sub wires back in to my amp and my front speakers came back on, and when he plugged them back in, they started messing up again. So we took the back off the speaker box and even inside of it theres nothing wrong with the wiring and im just about a 100% sure my sub isn't blown because it doesnt sound like it at all. So now, does anyone know what it could be now that we've narrowed the problem down to my sub? Thanks again for all ya'lls help

-Cody
Check what impedance you are running your sub at. Is it a DVC? You might be running your impedance (ohms) too low. It sounds like you are running your door speakers and your sub off of the same amp. If the impedance was too low, it would cause the amp to go in and out of protection.

See what the amp is rated for and get a resistance tester and see what your sub is wired to. If the sub is lower than the amp recommends, thats your prob. If not, reply back and I will look some more.

Good luck,

Devildog101

Old 09-24-2007, 02:25 AM
Thats w/o a doubt a ground issue. Check all speaker wires. Thats it. Even one strand can cause that problem.

Old 09-24-2007, 04:31 PM
DRJ
How long have you had the amp??

Old 09-27-2007, 12:10 PM
Actually it could also be the tinsel leads slapping together and grounding out as well.

Old 10-01-2007, 11:25 AM
Anything yet Cody???

Devildog101

Quick Reply: Amp protection light comes on and speakers go in and out