Component and Amp tuning

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 01:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Component and Amp tuning

Well I got my porfi Vandi installed, and I also put on some Ramatt and ensolite to my doors and back wall. where I placed my Amp (Hifonics ZX6000) http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...cs+ZX6000.html

and crossovers of course

I have a question with the tuning of this. If I set the amp X-over to full with the input at the minimum, the speakers will start to distort, or crack when the volume is around half volume on my headunit. I dont know what the low pass and high pass ***** do.

But if i set the X-over at Hi I dont get the bass that I like, but i can crank them up, but it just doesnt sound right.

I am in need of some major help, I feel so dissapointed everytime I get into my truck.

Thanks

Last edited by eobcraven; 09-07-2007 at 01:51 PM.
Old 09-09-2007, 02:35 AM
Set your amp to high pass filter. Set your high pass **** to 80 and work your way from there.

If you want more "bass" set the high pass **** lower, essentially a high pass filters prevents any frequencies below it from being played. On the other hand low pass filters prevent any frequencies above it being played.

Take for example, I have an amp for my components aka door speakers. I would set the amp to high pass filter and have the **** adjusted to 90 (Personal preference). Than on my sub amp I would activate my low pass filter and set it at I believe 75. Also a sub sonic filter works like a high pass filter, and it will not play any frequencies below it's setting.

Anyhow, I have deducted that with you having a profi vandi set you have a little bit of cash to throw around. My suggestion is to get an ARC XEQ or Audio Control EQ. From there it is all gravy. Another note, usually you match the cost of your comp/sub with the amp. So if you spent 600+ on profi vandi's you should expect to spend that much in an amp.

Hopefully this made sense, I am tired. Best of luck to you!

-Ben

Last edited by byoon001; 09-09-2007 at 02:43 AM.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:35 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Pretty much what he said.

With your crossover set on 'full' you are letting every frequency of music though your amp to your speakers. Component speakers arent designed to play low bass frequecies, so you need to filter them out with your Hi pass crossover.

Doin this filters out your bass though, thats why its not sounding 'right'...

Your doing it right by setting your high pass filter. You have no bass though...that is what a sub is designed for...to fill out that low part of the musical spectrum

Also, just for a little bit of reference, I have my high pass filter on my componets set at 63Hz with a 24db crossover.
You just need to play with it till you find something that works good and sounds good to you, everyone will be different on crossover settings.

Old 09-10-2007, 10:39 AM
Thanks fellas... Ill play around with it tonight when I get home... I appreciate the advice.

Ill let you know tomorrow how its working!!

Thanks again.

Old 09-13-2007, 02:28 PM
Thanks guys... It sounds much better.... I still can only have the amp output in the lowest that it goes, but It pretty freking loud!!!!!!!

Old 09-17-2007, 09:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

i have my high pass set at 100 up and the low pass 100 down. i turned the stereo up to 18 and then turned the level up till it just started to distort and then turned it back a tad.

Quick Reply: Component and Amp tuning