Is My Amp Blown?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 10:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is My Amp Blown?

Ok, i have the stock 6 c/d head unit with an Infinity 6 channel amp and a JBL cleansweep connected. Few days ago i was crankin tunes.. all of a sudden my right front door speaker began to make a really high pitched whistle sound comeing through what i believe was the tweeters, but even after turning off the stereo the sound wouldnt stop and it was piercing, so i turned off the truck. Turned it back on same thing, screaching sound comeing from the door speaker even though the stereo was off. After doing that a few times it finaly went away but then it sounded like i might have blown my speaker. So today i swapped the drivers door speaker and it did the same thing, sounded blown.. but both speaker sound great in the drivers side door..Amp works great on all the other channels. Is my amp blown? Ty in advance for any replys.

Old 08-26-2007, 11:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Usually if you blow a channel you dont hear anything. (At least thats my experience with it.) If its only one speaker you may have a grounded positive wire somewhere. Take it in. Thats all i have to tell you over the internet.

Old 08-27-2007, 11:16 AM
Originally Posted by Low_e_Red
Usually if you blow a channel you dont hear anything. (At least thats my experience with it.) If its only one speaker you may have a grounded positive wire somewhere. Take it in. Thats all i have to tell you over the internet.
Another vote for grounded + speaker wire. Only other time I ever had that screaching noise coming from a speaker was loose lead on the amp internals. This was on a 10 year old amp though, not a newer one.
Check your wire path to see if all wires are where they're supposed to be, and keep us posted.
Scott

Old 08-27-2007, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by simpleman68
Another vote for grounded + speaker wire. Only other time I ever had that screaching noise coming from a speaker was loose lead on the amp internals. This was on a 10 year old amp though, not a newer one.
Check your wire path to see if all wires are where they're supposed to be, and keep us posted.
Scott
I called the stereo guy today who installed it..He told me to reverse the left /right rca cables of the front speaker on the amp..if the passanger door (which was the problem door) still sounded like the speaker was blown it was the amp! If it switched to the driver door which i had no prob it would be the jbl cleansweep. So when i tried it, it made no difference still sounded blown on the passanger door. So i called him back and told him and about the grounded+ speaker wire he said it couldnt have been that and i tried to understand but couldnt.lol. So finally he said he believes the channel shorted itself out and the amps blown. what do you think. He's a reputable installer. I hope he's right cause i already ordered another amp. ty everybody

Last edited by tg150; 08-27-2007 at 01:28 PM.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:14 PM
DRJ
I've seen brand new amps have messed up channels, it was most likely defective

Old 08-27-2007, 04:53 PM
My home stereo does this once in a while, but its a 10+ yr old Sony reciever. I have it hooked up to my dvd with a pair of 10"s. It's not surround sound or anything, just supper loud bass! (great for crashes and bullets!) Every once in a while, the sound just dies and a horrible high pitch whine rattles the windows. I have to turn it off and give it a tap, then it works again, so it's probably something loose on the curcuit board. One night I had watched a movie and fell asleep, I had turned off the the tv and dvd, but forgot about the stereo. At about 3-4 in the morning I was startled by that horrible screech! I almost jumped up and grabbed my 9mm out of the closet!

Last edited by TRITON_2002; 08-27-2007 at 05:36 PM.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:40 AM
my guess is the rca's. cheap or even expensive rca's are sensitive, if anything touched them or they crossed channels or whatever you could burn them up. I burned up a set one time in a hurry on the road and had to move my amp (in the trunk) rca's came un done...i quickly hooked them back up and skreeeeeeech, there they went, along with the ground in my H/U.

Old 08-28-2007, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Toyz
my guess is the rca's. cheap or even expensive rca's are sensitive, if anything touched them or they crossed channels or whatever you could burn them up. I burned up a set one time in a hurry on the road and had to move my amp (in the trunk) rca's came un done...i quickly hooked them back up and skreeeeeeech, there they went, along with the ground in my H/U.
We'll i checked all my RCA's they were all connected and everything seemed fine, nothing touched them being there behind my back seat. Just today as i was driving even though the passanger door sounds blown as i said above, i was crankin tunes and everything was fine then all of a sudden maybe it got hot i dont know but it started screeching..wouldnt go away, even after turning off my head unit.I drove all the way home turned the truck off and back on and its still screaching with the stereo off. I think the only RCA cables i have are from the JBL cleansweep to the amp. 2 sets and there short, 4' tops. Cleansweep and RCA's were only installed in March of this yr.

Old 08-28-2007, 04:25 PM
DRJ
Try an inline noise filter for your RCA's

Old 09-12-2007, 08:35 PM
i burnt a set of rca's up cause i had them and my power wire running side by side and the power wire was trying to ground out through the rca cables, so make sure you always have a good ground...

Quick Reply: Is My Amp Blown?