wiring an amp...

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 09:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wiring an amp...

Hello, I'm new here, just got an 07 xl. I want to put in an amp & sub, how is the easiest way to get signal from speaker wires to the amp? One guy says splice into a speaker wire and go from there, but I don't like the sound of that. Best Buy wants $250 just for the install.

Old 06-26-2007, 10:07 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You will need to splice into a speaker wire no matter what.

Go to your local audio place and pick up a Line Output Convertor. You will need to tap this into your speaker wires, then you will be able to run RCA's from the line out convertor to our amp for signal.

It cost about 20 bucks and is easy to install.

Old 06-26-2007, 11:09 PM
I saw the line out converter on some websites, when you run the speaker wire into the converter, how then do you go back to the stock speakers? I understand that you would run new wires with rca plugs to the subs, but not how to power the regular speakers. sorry if this is a dumb question. Also how tough is it to get the hu out to get to the wires? If you are only going to have one sub, do you just need to tap into one speaker wire?

Old 06-27-2007, 12:29 PM
Kennedy, the stock speaker wires stay connected to the speakers. The line out convertor simply splices into the speaker wires at any place you can get to them best. The line out converter does not affect the signal going to the factory speakers.

The HU is very simple to get out. You need to pop off the trim peice that goes around the radio and houses the HVAC controls and cig lighter. Unhook the harness at the top of the panel that goes to the passenger airbag light, then you can move the whole trim peice over to the side. The radio is held in with four 7mm (I think) bolts that need to come out, then you can just slide the radio straight out.

Old 06-27-2007, 08:50 PM
thanks for the info, one more ? please. How do you tell which wire is the positive and negative on the speaker? I tried to get a voltage reading from the plug but both seemed to have power.

Old 06-27-2007, 09:38 PM
I was going to suggest the battery method, but I did a quick search first and came up with this right away....

Originally Posted by KCAutosound
Radio 12v-------------- lt. green/purple +
Radio Ground------------black and black/lt. green -
Radio Ignition----------- pink/black or lt. green/yellow +
Radio Illumination--------lt. blue/red (dimmer) +
Factory Amp Turn-on----dk. green/purple +

Notes: This is the subwoofer amplifier turn on lead. The subwoofer and amp are in the driver side rear corner of the cabin. The subwoofer speaker wires are brown/orange (+), and red/black (-) at the radio harness.

LF Speaker + -----------orange/lt. green
LF Speaker - ----------- lt. blue/wht

RF Speaker + ----------- white/lt. green
RF Speaker - ----------- dk. green/org

LR Speaker + ----------- gray/lt. blue
LR Speaker - ----------- tan/yellow

RR Speaker + ----------- orange/red
RR Speaker - ----------- brown/pink

Old 06-28-2007, 04:25 PM
IF you choose NOT to cut the FORD wires, you could spend the $30-$40 bucks for forward and reverse harnesses, splice into those.

Quick Reply: wiring an amp...