Please help me find an amp....

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 08:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Please help me find an amp....

I want to buy an amp but because I have no prior experience with car audio I don't even know where to start. This amp is going to power my front and rear speakers. I plan on putting MB Quart Reference RCE 268 speakers up front and MB Quart Discus DKF 168 speakers in the rear. I have already upgraded my head unit to an Alpine 9856. I am trying to keep this in the $100-150 range. I would like to buy a new amp vs. a used one. Do you guys have any suggestions?? Thank you in advance for all your help.

Old 01-10-2007, 09:35 AM
first thing is first the refernce are a good damn speaker however order the rce213 which is a 5.25" speaker instead of the 6x8. they should come with a plate to put into a 5x7 hole. if not any audio shop in your area should have the 5.25 to 5x7 adapter. the round speaker will give you better sound quality and if you ever leave the ford world the speakers can come with you. As for amps i would highly recomend the 300/4 jl. we did theese combitantions a lot and the quarts love power. you do not need to worry about overpowering the quarts so dont be consirned. if tune them correctly you will be amazed.

Old 01-10-2007, 09:37 AM
Originally Posted by Coastietech
I want to buy an amp but because I have no prior experience with car audio I don't even know where to start. This amp is going to power my front and rear speakers. I plan on putting MB Quart Reference RCE 268 speakers up front and MB Quart Discus DKF 168 speakers in the rear. I have already upgraded my head unit to an Alpine 9856. I am trying to keep this in the $100-150 range. I would like to buy a new amp vs. a used one. Do you guys have any suggestions?? Thank you in advance for all your help.

If I may make a suggestion. I would run the rear speakes off the Alpine deck. They do not need much power and you do not want them very loud anyways or it will ruin the front stage. The front comps you picked are good speakers and need good clean power. I would look at a 2 channel amp that will put out between 75-100 watts x 2. Finding a good amp in the $100-150 range might be tough. Maybe look at Memphis, MTX, Alpine just to name a few. Options are pretty much only limited by your wallet. Scour ebay and you might find exactly what you want. Just go with a good brand name and you should be fine.

Old 01-10-2007, 09:38 AM
sorry didnt see your money factor there. you cant buy a decent amp for $100 sorry. save for another few weeks and then spend the money and do it right the first time. for the reference and discus you could go with the jl's new a series or even the punch p4004 should be enough power.

also remember you have at least a $100 worth of wire needed to install a 4 channel amp. DO NOT BUY 8 GAUGE PLEASE

Old 01-10-2007, 10:07 AM
Well taking what was said into consideration if I get a 2 channel amp I can run my rear speakers of my headunit with no problems? So if I am just going to get a 2 channel, how is the Kenwood KAC-7202. I can it brand new for $130 shipped. will it do what I need it to do? Or should I look elsewhere for something of better quality?

Last edited by Coastietech; 01-10-2007 at 10:10 AM.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:56 AM
Originally Posted by Coastietech
Well taking what was said into consideration if I get a 2 channel amp I can run my rear speakers of my headunit with no problems? So if I am just going to get a 2 channel, how is the Kenwood KAC-7202. I can it brand new for $130 shipped. will it do what I need it to do? Or should I look elsewhere for something of better quality?
For the money, you probably will not find a lot more options. That should be a solid amp. And yes, your head unit will run your rear speakers just fine.

Quick Reply: Please help me find an amp....