F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   Amplifiers (https://www.f150online.com/forums/amplifiers-56/)
-   -   Brypink...Question About Zapco Amp (https://www.f150online.com/forums/amplifiers/235507-brypink-question-about-zapco-amp.html)

dconder 04-04-2006 11:01 AM

Brypink...Question About Zapco Amp

Hey Bryan. I got my first C2K 3.0 yesterday and had a quick question. It looks like these amps will only use the balanced inputs and not regular rca inputs, is that right? Also, I got 2 SLDIN T transmitters with the amp. One of them has a din extention. The other does not. The transmitter will have to have the extention in order to fit into the amp port. Is this just a standard cable extention or is there a specific Zapco cable that has to be used. I am about to buy either another 3.0 or a 2.0 and will not need anther transmitter but, will need another cable of some sort.

Thanks.

brypink2 04-04-2006 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by dconder
Hey Bryan. I got my first C2K 3.0 yesterday and had a quick question. It looks like these amps will only use the balanced inputs and not regular rca inputs, is that right? Also, I got 2 SLDIN T transmitters with the amp. One of them has a din extention. The other does not. The transmitter will have to have the extention in order to fit into the amp port. Is this just a standard cable extention or is there a specific Zapco cable that has to be used. I am about to buy either another 3.0 or a 2.0 and will not need anther transmitter but, will need another cable of some sort.

Thanks.

I can't remember if it's Zapco specific. I thought I remember someone saying you can use an ordinary 16, 12, 8 pin cable (not sure which), but don't quote me on that. That Zapcos are like $20.

Yes, balanced is the only way to go on the C2K's. The transmitter and then a din/din cable. The transmitter has the RCA that plugs into your preouts and then the din/din plugs into the transmitter and to the amp.

BTW, I can't log onto CA.com from work...PM me here.

dconder 04-04-2006 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by brypink2
I can't remember if it's Zapco specific. I thought I remember someone saying you can use an ordinary 16, 12, 8 pin cable (not sure which), but don't quote me on that. That Zapcos are like $20.

Yes, balanced is the only way to go on the C2K's. The transmitter and then a din/din cable. The transmitter has the RCA that plugs into your preouts and then the din/din plugs into the transmitter and to the amp.

BTW, I can't log onto CA.com from work...PM me here.

So, I really do not want to use any rca cable at all? Even hooked up to the transmitter to extend it up to the head unit? I would be better to hook the rca connectors on the transmitter right into the rca outs on the head unit? If so, I will need a longer din to din cable.

brypink2 04-04-2006 03:35 PM

So, I really do not want to use any rca cable at all? Even hooked up to the transmitter to extend it up to the head unit? I would be better to hook the rca connectors on the transmitter right into the rca outs on the head unit? If so, I will need a longer din to din cable.

Yes, that's correct. Hook the transmitter to the HU (rca to rca) and then run a longer din/din cable from the transmitter to the amp. :thumbsup:

dconder 04-05-2006 09:04 AM

Thanks Bryan. I posted on the Zapco forum and got the same answer. I got one cable that is about 12 feet long so, I can either use it and then get a short one to run from the slave output to the other amp or get another long one and run them both from the head unit. It looks like I am going to get another 3.0 for $375 shipped. $725 shipped for the pair does not sound bad to me. Components will be next. Bad thing is, I will not have the Stang back for probably another month. Oh well, everything will be ready when I get it.

brypink2 04-05-2006 12:34 PM

Thanks Bryan. I posted on the Zapco forum and got the same answer. I got one cable that is about 12 feet long so, I can either use it and then get a short one to run from the slave output to the other amp or get another long one and run them both from the head unit. It looks like I am going to get another 3.0 for $375 shipped. $725 shipped for the pair does not sound bad to me. Components will be next. Bad thing is, I will not have the Stang back for probably another month. Oh well, everything will be ready when I get it.

NP Doug. Does sound like a heck of a deal!

I'm not to sure on slaving the amps together. I think you'd get a "truer" sound running them seperate...if that makes sense. And, probably be an easier set-up when it comes time to tweaking the system. :thumbsup:

dconder 04-05-2006 01:29 PM

NP Doug. Does sound like a heck of a deal!

I'm not to sure on slaving the amps together. I think you'd get a "truer" sound running them seperate...if that makes sense. And, probably be an easier set-up when it comes time to tweaking the system. :thumbsup:

I am kinda thinking the same thing. Plus, if I hook them both up to the head unit, I still have use of the nonfader preout level adjustment at the head unit.

brypink2 04-05-2006 03:58 PM

I am kinda thinking the same thing. Plus, if I hook them both up to the head unit, I still have use of the nonfader preout level adjustment at the head unit.

Sounds like a plan! :thumbsup:

dconder 04-05-2006 04:18 PM

Sounds like a plan! :thumbsup:

Although I am already trying to talk my sis (she and I own our shop and the Stang) into letting me take the Kenwood DDX-7015 out of my truck and put it in the Mustang. I could then get the new DDX-6019. It has a bigger screen, less buttons and direct touch DVD control. Which after using the controls on the Alpine, I hate using the remote for the DDX-7015.

brypink2 04-05-2006 04:28 PM

Although I am already trying to talk my sis (she and I own our shop and the Stang) into letting me take the Kenwood DDX-7015 out of my truck and put it in the Mustang. I could then get the new DDX-6019. It has a bigger screen, less buttons and direct touch DVD control. Which after using the controls on the Alpine, I hate using the remote for the DDX-7015.

Is that the new 7" inch (or 6.9") double din screen? Or was that Eclipse? Anyway, I like that screen...I wish it was compatible with the H701 (w/o the contoller).:devil:

BTW, what kinda shop do you guys own? It better not be an car audio shop! :mad: LOL :lol:

dconder 04-05-2006 04:52 PM

Is that the new 7" inch (or 6.9") double din screen? Or was that Eclipse? Anyway, I like that screen...I wish it was compatible with the H701 (w/o the contoller).:devil:

BTW, what kinda shop do you guys own? It better not be an car audio shop! :mad: LOL :lol:

The Kenwood is the 6.95" screen. I just have not found anywhere that it will indeed control the 901 processor I have.

We have a small machine shop. Although, with all the car audio stuff I get in and out of here, one might start to wonder.:lol:

brypink2 04-05-2006 07:26 PM

The Kenwood is the 6.95" screen. I just have not found anywhere that it will indeed control the 901 processor I have.

We have a small machine shop. Although, with all the car audio stuff I get in and out of here, one might start to wonder.:lol:

Do you mean a H900 or H701? Don't tell me you have a H900!? And, isn't either compatibale with other HU's along as you have the C701 contoller (maybe not the H900)?

I hear ya about all the equipment...I'm selling my unsed stuff a little at a time. I tell you what...I'll be retiring soon (actually a couple of years), but we can pool all of our equipment together and start our own car audio business! LOL :lol:

dconder 04-05-2006 10:29 PM

My processor is the Kenwood in my sig. Not as sophisticated as the Alpine but, does 5.1 great. The thing I like best over the Alpine is that it detects the source and plays the center channel only on movies. I have not figured out on the Alpine how to do that. If you turn the center speaker on, it plays no matter what source unless I turn it off. Do you know of a setting I might be over looking?

brypink2 04-06-2006 12:25 PM

My processor is the Kenwood in my sig. Not as sophisticated as the Alpine but, does 5.1 great. The thing I like best over the Alpine is that it detects the source and plays the center channel only on movies. I have not figured out on the Alpine how to do that. If you turn the center speaker on, it plays no matter what source unless I turn it off. Do you know of a setting I might be over looking?

Oh...I didn't see that. Also, no I haven't firgured out how to turn on/off the center channel automatically. But, I've only played 1 DVD thus far, just to see if it works. I've been concentrating on the 2ch set-up.

Bartak1 04-06-2006 01:15 PM

Jeez guys, since you have so much money why not buy me something? Like a couple amps lol.

Speaking of amps, do you still have that XXK1500 Dconder? That would be nice on my Mag :)

Woops, did I get this thread off topic. Hehe.

dconder 04-06-2006 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Bartak1
Jeez guys, since you have so much money why not buy me something? Like a couple amps lol.

Speaking of amps, do you still have that XXK1500 Dconder? That would be nice on my Mag :)

Woops, did I get this thread off topic. Hehe.

When the 3 of us get going, I do not think we ever stay on topic. I wish I had the money to burn. Almost everything I buy, I sell something to pay for it. Just a recyle process. That is the only way I justify it to my wife;)

Sorry, the 1500XXK is gone. Sold it to pay for my first 3.0x. Still looking for another one. My deal for the second one fell thru and I am back to looking with very few leads, at a decent price.

brypink2 04-06-2006 02:16 PM

When the 3 of us get going, I do not think we ever stay on topic. I wish I had the money to burn. Almost everything I buy, I sell something to pay for it. Just a recyle process. That is the only way I justify it to my wife;)

HOLY CRAP!!!! I thought I was the ONLY one that does that! LMAO :lol:

And about the "off topic" thing, I think the mods/webmaster should start our own forum under "Audio & Video System" labeled "Brypink2, Bartak1 and Dconder's Forum"! LOL :devil:

p.s. Notice how I put my name first? :devil:

Bartak1 04-06-2006 08:34 PM

And about the "off topic" thing, I think the mods/webmaster should start our own forum under "Audio & Video System" labeled "Brypink2, Bartak1 and Dconder's Forum"! LOL :devil:

p.s. Notice how I put my name first? :devil:

Yeah, thats racist. Without the race..........Meany :p :lol:
The forum sounds like an idea. Well have to have a meeting with the Mods

I tend to keep stuff and say to myself "I might use this later......maybe.........for some reason........better save it" Lol, it all just sits in the closet. I need to start selling stuff to fund my stereo-in-progress.

Dconder, I gave you a link to a C2K 3.0 in the sub section, but I see on CA.com youve already talked to the guy about it.

So, serious, you guys are gonna buy me some amps, right.....?

dconder 04-06-2006 08:41 PM

Yeah, thats racist. Without the race..........Meany :p :lol:
The forum sounds like an idea. Well have to have a meeting with the Mods

I tend to keep stuff and say to myself "I might use this later......maybe.........for some reason........better save it" Lol, it all just sits in the closet. I need to start selling stuff to fund my stereo-in-progress.

Dconder, I gave you a link to a C2K 3.0 in the sub section, but I see on CA.com youve already talked to the guy about it.

So, serious, you guys are gonna buy me some amps, right.....?

I'll buy you an amp and you give me your SI Mag:thumbsup:

Bartak1 04-06-2006 09:02 PM

I'll buy you an amp and you give me your SI Mag:thumbsup:

Deal... :cjstrokeshischinthinkingofthemostexpensiveampknow ntoman:

^is there smilie for that? There better be.

Bartak1 04-06-2006 09:18 PM

/random post not even closely pertaining to this thread/

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pi...P880PRS_lg.jpg

Check out one of the new Pioneer HU's. Looks sexy huh? Clean and simple, I like it. Kinda looks like one of those HU's that you would either love the way it looks, or hate it.
Specs dont look to shabby either. I might have to check into one of these things. :)

brypink2 04-07-2006 11:29 AM

Hey guys, just a quick note. I say lets keep this thread ALIVE. See how big it can get! Make our own "sticky" just by keeping it on top! :devil: LOL

I'll trade something for that MAG (not my 9.0 though). LOL I'm also the same way...I keep stuff just because I think I'll use it sometime. Especially cable, mat, disbo blocks, etc...alot of install suff that ain't worth crap. Then speaker sets, xovers, subs, etc...are abundant as well. Small stereo shop going on here! :lol:

Anyway, I got a super busy weekend. First, I got to fly off this darned island, then drive to LA and get my new W200. Uninstall my D310 and get it shipped and then get my old sub box sent off (I sold that too). Busy, busy day!

That Pioneer HU does look sexy...kinda got the new Eclipse look!

dconder 04-07-2006 11:45 AM

Deal... :cjstrokeshischinthinkingofthemostexpensiveampknow ntoman:

^is there smilie for that? There better be.

Oh, I was thinking about the amp I bought at Walmart I use as a doorstop:thumbsup:

Not too much to report here. The Mustang will be in the shop for another 3 weeks so, all I can do is plan for upgrades. I am still searching for another amp for it. I really wish I could find a 2.0x for around $300. I am trying to be patient. I am half tempted to go to the body shop and pull the Scosche enclosure so I will have it to check depths for new subs. And in the back of my mind is still the nagging thought about taking the Kenwood out of my truck, putting it in the Mustang, and getting myself the new DDX-6019.

Plus, I am doing some research on whole house systems for our new house. It is supposed to be done around the first of June. I had it prewired for audio throughout the house. Trying to get ours ready to sell and planning for the new one is taking up a lot of my time.

brypink2 04-07-2006 01:46 PM

Plus, I am doing some research on whole house systems for our new house. It is supposed to be done around the first of June. I had it prewired for audio throughout the house. Trying to get ours ready to sell and planning for the new one is taking up a lot of my time.

What kind of HT system? Do you have any components in mind? I dabbled with a small HT system a couple years back. This what I have:

HT reciever: Denon 3805
DVD: Denon 3910
TV: Mits 55413 (calibrated)
L/R: Paradigm Studio 60
Center: Paradigm CC-470
Rear: Paradigm Studio 20
Sub: SVS PB10-ISD
Cables: DIY, Analysis Plus, Monster, etc.

dconder 04-07-2006 01:56 PM

What kind of HT system? Do you have any components in mind? I dabbled with a small HT system a couple years back. This what I have:

My home theater is pretty small. I have:

Panasonic 50" plasma with built in HD tuner
Yamaha 5.1 receiver
Mitsubishi DVD
Cox Cable with HD/DVR
Eosone 5.1 sub/sat system

I just got a quote on the whole house audio for the new house which will include:

Nuvo Concerto Multizone system
Keypads for control in 6 zones
In ceiling speakers in 6 zones
All tied into the home theater

RageOfOrder 04-08-2006 02:06 AM

So, I was looking on the Zapco site a while ago...
The C2K 3.0X, Suggested Retail $ 1369.00

Where are you getting them so cheap, if you don't mind me asking?

I'm definately looking at a zapco amp this summer and I could use some advice on what to buy and where to get it?
I've got a couple of these Premier TS-W1500SPL's sitting around. I only have one in a box and installed right now, the other is just in my room. I might look at building a new box to hold them both, depending what I can get for an amp.

Anyway, spend my money! find me an amp for that sub.

brypink2 04-08-2006 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by RageOfOrder

I'm definately looking at a zapco amp this summer and I could use some advice on what to buy and where to get it?
I've got a couple of these Premier TS-W1500SPL's sitting around. I only have one in a box and installed right now, the other is just in my room. I might look at building a new box to hold them both, depending what I can get for an amp.

I'll tell you after dconder gets his other one! LOL :devil: I actually have a couple of connections, but it is a hit or miss depending on which Zapco. I can get a new 4.0 w/ warranty for about a grand.

The best way to buy a Zapco is USED! All of mine are previously owned. :thumbsup:

dconder 04-08-2006 06:30 AM

Bryan is correct. I am getting the used. And just the one at $350. My next best offer is around $450. Still pretty good on an amp that retails for $1369. With the C2K, I am learning that patience is the key. Not many for sale and fewer for sale for a good price.

brypink2 04-08-2006 11:00 AM

Got my W200...having issues ALREADY! :mad:

I don't think it will fit flush...and I don't think my Black Box R2 is working (might need to get an updated one) because when a disc is inserted my amps power off. I really don't feel like wiring it w/o the black box (the correct way). LOL I'll just order the new black box and hook it up as is, I'll be at work for the next week and half anyway. At least the radio works.

dconder 04-08-2006 07:26 PM

Got my W200...having issues ALREADY! :mad:

I don't think it will fit flush...and I don't think my Black Box R2 is working (might need to get an updated one) because when a disc is inserted my amps power off. I really don't feel like wiring it w/o the black box (the correct way). LOL I'll just order the new black box and hook it up as is, I'll be at work for the next week and half anyway. At least the radio works.

Is the unit too deep to fit flush? Would love to see a pic of it. So, hooking the black box up like you do with the D310 did not work?

brypink2 04-08-2006 07:49 PM

Is the unit too deep to fit flush? Would love to see a pic of it. So, hooking the black box up like you do with the D310 did not work?

It's working...I hooked up the remote wires to the power antennae wire. LOL

It's gonna fit flush too. I should be done in about an hour or so and will post a pic then.

RageOfOrder 04-08-2006 08:49 PM

Thanks. I'll have to do more online searching then, as this is a small town.
Nobody here (even the one or two dealers) have ever heard of Zapco, TREO, etc. None of them use a DMM, and some don't know what that is.

This town is pretty sad as far as stereos go. One store stocks Pioneer/Premier, which I like the quality of, for the most part. The other store stocks Sony. barf. I had to drive 6 hours south to find a JL dealer for my door speakers...

Suffice to say I don't feel like ordering through anyone in town, I'll be paying through the roof.

Anyway, let me know if you come across anything.

brypink2 04-08-2006 09:00 PM

Thanks. I'll have to do more online searching then, as this is a small town.
Nobody here (even the one or two dealers) have ever heard of Zapco, TREO, etc. None of them use a DMM, and some don't know what that is.

This town is pretty sad as far as stereos go. One store stocks Pioneer/Premier, which I like the quality of, for the most part. The other store stocks Sony. barf. I had to drive 6 hours south to find a JL dealer for my door speakers...

Suffice to say I don't feel like ordering through anyone in town, I'll be paying through the roof.

Anyway, let me know if you come across anything.

Will do. Checkout Ebay, elitecaraudio.com, caraudio.com, sounddomain.com, zapco.com...look in their forums "for sale" threads. Just BECAREFUL who you buy from. Search that website for any feedback/references of the seller.

brypink2 04-08-2006 09:01 PM

Now, pics of my Alpine IVA-W200!!!!

Well, I got the W200 installed and it looks good...nice and clean look. I like it!!! :rocker:

https://www.f150online.com/galleries...040-155613.jpg
https://www.f150online.com/galleries...040-155614.jpg

bigrobrn 04-08-2006 09:21 PM

NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Bartak1 04-08-2006 11:11 PM

Looks pretty nice Bry.

I finally got my truck back yesterday, and had a little time to try to put in those Rainbows. Only got it one side, the tweeter is kinda half a$$ed installed, and I only had about 10 minutes to tweak a little and listen to them (err..the right side) But so far I like em. Pretty strong midbass. I like that. Tweet seems pretty nice so far. Not the best Ive heard, but its not to bad. Its aimed straight at the other door panel too, so Im not getting the best imaging with it. Cant wait to see what they are like once I get these things set up halfway decent, and tweaked/tuned. Hopefully tomorrow. And later on some MORE POWER. Thinking like 150 watts/side or so.

I think I will do like a rear console type thing for my Mag box too. I would like to put a pair of front bucket seats in the back, with a box/console in between them. Im not sure if they would fit to well though. Ill figure something out when the Mag gets here and I get more motivated.

Bartak1 04-08-2006 11:25 PM

Hey guys, just a quick note. I say lets keep this thread ALIVE. See how big it can get! Make our own "sticky" just by keeping it on top! :devil: LOL

I'll trade something for that MAG (not my 9.0 though). LOL I'm also the same way...I keep stuff just because I think I'll use it sometime. Especially cable, mat, disbo blocks, etc...alot of install suff that ain't worth crap. Then speaker sets, xovers, subs, etc...are abundant as well. Small stereo shop going on here! :lol:

Sounds like a plan. An update/BS thread.

So you guys want the Mag huh? Hehe. Ill tell ya what, if either of you guys can trade me something extremely awsome, I will trade. Maybe :)

Oh, I was thinking about the amp I bought at Walmart I use as a doorstop

Hey, props for finding something useful to do with a WalMart item:thumbsup:

Bartak1 04-09-2006 05:58 PM

Alright, I got the other side in, and put them in where they will stay till I get some kick panels or a new truck-hopefully soon. Mids in the doors-stock location-and the tweets are mounted to the speaker grille on the door panels. Not exactley what you would call a properly imaged stereo (but then again Ive never had one in this truck). Got about 30 min. of test and tune time and left it at that for now because its 4:30 and I havent ate all day, so Im starving my arse off. Thank God for Tombstone pizzas or I would die when knowone is around to cook for me :).

ANYWHO...they sound pretty good so far. Mid bass is kick a$$. They will rattle and shake the crap outta everything. Even with the xover on the amp at 80 Hz it still sounds like there is a small sub in there. Im tempted to turn the xover on my amp off so the mids can go as low as they can and see how they really do on the low end. But they sure impress me in that way. On the higher end they do pretty well too. The Rainbox Xover is supposedly xovered at 3000 Hz, and the mids seem to do great all the way up to there. They say they will run up to 7000Hz, Im kinda curious as to how they do way up there. They tweets are alright so far. I had them at 0db on the xover and they seemed a little bright and crazy. I tried them on -3db and holy hell they seemed brighter than he!!. Stuck em back on 0db and fiddled around with some tuning a little more and now they are sounding pretty good. When I stick my head down right inbetween them (remember, they are shooting right at each other) they still seem bright. Once I pull my head back up to normal listening position they sound much better. So when they are off axis like that I think they sound a little better.

Anyway, thats all I can say for now. Im sure with some more tuning they will really come alive. So far they still seem to be some of the better speakers Ive heard though. And for the price I got them for I dont think you are going to find better.

brypink2 04-09-2006 08:26 PM

Cool...congrats on them. I heard some germaniums or power cmx (I think) for the first time the other day. I thought the tweeter (CAL25) was really bright. I really like a laid back tweeter. I let my passive Xovers do the work (for now) and have my amps set at "full". My LPF & HPF is set at 80. Tweaking it with the GEQ.

Oh, when I swapped out my D310 for the W200, I forgot to write down my settings. :eek: I messed with it today, kinda remembered most of what I had and it sounds pretty good. I got to mess with it for a while but then I got to let my ears rest and get unused to the sound...then go back out and see what it sounds like.

On a different note...I got my chrome bumpers today. WooHoo! Now, I need to get my LT handles and get my Lariat flares painted.

On another side note...How much sold I sell my stock HU for? I need to clear out some crap!

RageOfOrder 04-09-2006 08:29 PM

On another side note...How much sold I sell my stock HU for? I need to clear out some crap!

Find out what the dealer would sell you a new one for, then sell yours for 3/4 of that to someone who wants it :)