F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   Amplifiers (https://www.f150online.com/forums/amplifiers-56/)
-   -   Brypink...Question About Zapco Amp (https://www.f150online.com/forums/amplifiers/235507-brypink-question-about-zapco-amp.html)

brypink2 04-29-2006 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by dconder
Bartak.... I will take some pics. I am hoping to get one built this week as I am leaving town for a week on the 8th. It is killing me not to be able to hear the 12" in there.

Bryan...Do you think there would be any bad effects to running a Zapco 3.0x using balanced and running two Arc amps with RCA? I sold one of the 3.0x amps and the other one developed a problem so, I sent it back to Zapco. When I get it back, I am thinking about running it bridged at 2 ohm for 600 watts to the Arc or maybe an IDMAX 10" later on. What do you think? It will probably be another 2-3 weeks before I get the amp back but, the system would look like this:

Arc 5150XXK running in 3 channel mode: 150 x 2 for fronts and 100 x 1 for center channel

Arc 2050XXK running 50 x 2 to the rears

Zapco 3.0x running 600 x 1 @ 2ohm.

No problem there. Running balanced lines gives you a cleaner signal. I think I would keep the Arc 12 over a 10 MAX...if the Arc sounds as good as you say.

Bartak1 05-01-2006 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by brypink2
Both versions of the 9.0 (2 ohm and 4 ohm) are rated at 2200 watts bridged mono but can do more like 3000. They can do short burst up to 5500 watts.

On that MAG...I would get a 1100.1 or the BADA$$ DC Reference 1100.1!!!

I'll sell you the manufacturer's box the W7 came in for $50!

Hmmmm, that would be a little much for the Mag then huh:lol:

Ill pass on the box. Ive got enough plywood and all that stuff subs come packaged in laying around here.

Originally Posted by Dconder
Bartak.... I will take some pics. I am hoping to get one built this week as I am leaving town for a week on the 8th. It is killing me not to be able to hear the 12" in there.

Do it. Take a day off work or something:cool: Tell your boss you need personal reflection time............Wait....you are your own boss arent you? That means there is no excuse not to build that box.....right now.....go...serious.....:p

dconder 05-02-2006 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Bartak1

Do it. Take a day off work or something:cool: Tell your boss you need personal reflection time............Wait....you are your own boss arent you? That means there is no excuse not to build that box.....right now.....go...serious.....:p

:lol: If it was only that easy. I am going out of town all next week and have too many deadlines this week. But, just for you Bartak:

http://www.sounddomain.com/ride/2130076/1

You can read my post about it. It sounds awesome. Now, I just need more power to it:thumbsup:

dconder 05-02-2006 03:40 PM

Ok, the hamster is spinning the wheel again.

Have either of you guys had any experience with the DLS A series amps? I am thinking about switching the Arc amps for these. The A8 is a small 4 channel I could power the rears and bridge for the center. The A5 is a 3 channel that would put 85 to the front comps and 500 into the Arc 12" sub @ 2ohm. Over double the power I have now. Also, they have a pretty small footprint. The A5 will fit right where my 5150 is and the A8 would go beside my sub box or where the jack was. Thoughts??

BTW...I have no good reason for switching other than I have never tried them:lol: . Plus, there is no good Arc option for getting around 400-500 watts to my sub. In the XXK series that is. The 1500 and 2500 are just too big and overkill for me.

brypink2 05-02-2006 03:49 PM

The DLS amps are AWESOME amps! If I weren't such a Zapco fan (and love the symbilink feature) I would be happy to use them. I've seen them compared to McIntosh, Zapco, Brax, etc..you get the point. Nothing but excellent things said about them.

I say go for it and report back.

Bartak1 05-02-2006 09:10 PM

Looks good Dconder. That box does fit pretty good lol.
I say go for the DLS too. Ive never had any personal experiece with them either though, but I hear they kick some arse. I though about an A5 to run my sub/comps too (sub channel ran at 1 ohm though :p )

GA FOO 88 05-02-2006 10:11 PM

Dayam, yall three should get a room:lurk: Just kiddin. Yeah, I've heard the DLS ultimate series is on par with zapco comps amps. Did any of yall ever get a mag?

Bartak1 05-02-2006 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by GA FOO 88
Did any of yall ever get a mag?

:santa:

dconder 05-03-2006 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by GA FOO 88
Dayam, yall three should get a room:lurk: Just kiddin. Yeah, I've heard the DLS ultimate series is on par with zapco comps amps. Did any of yall ever get a mag?

I think you should just join us and we will just keep this thread going.:thumbsup:

I think I am going to try and find the DSL amps. I probably will not do anything till I get back on the 13th of May but, I will be looking in the meantime.

brypink2 05-04-2006 11:51 AM

Ok, so I decided that I can get 2 12" MAGs under the seat in a box with a butterworth value. Which I wanted to aim for this time around.

What does this mean? The 10W7's and box are up for sell and I need to sell the 9.0 so I can get a 2ohm version. I know you guys have seen my ad in the other forums. I'm gonna try to list here in the classifieds to see if anyone wants the box.

I'm also thinking about some ProSeries 6.5 or Z6 components...I need something that can handle some power. I'll change the tweets out though.

dconder 05-04-2006 03:44 PM

I'm also thinking about some ProSeries 6.5 or Z6 components...I need something that can handle some power. I'll change the tweets out though.

I had a set of Pro6.5 in the Pilot before I got the Diamond Hex. Both are great sets but, they require a ton of power. I think you could run a 350.2 bridged to each side and they would sound great. The Pro's are even more power hungry than the Hex's. They sounded bad in my install because I could not get them enough power. I think if you are not going to put at least 200 watts a side, you might be dissappointed. If I remember, they will actually handle like 400 watts.

brypink2 05-04-2006 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by dconder
I had a set of Pro6.5 in the Pilot before I got the Diamond Hex. Both are great sets but, they require a ton of power. I think you could run a 350.2 bridged to each side and they would sound great. The Pro's are even more power hungry than the Hex's. They sounded bad in my install because I could not get them enough power. I think if you are not going to put at least 200 watts a side, you might be dissappointed. If I remember, they will actually handle like 400 watts.

Can the Pro 60's actually handle that much? I heard they can't handle as much as the old ProSeries 6.5. I had a pair of the ProSeries in my last truck...I just hated the tweeter.

Also, that was my plan to run one 350.2 per side. Dump the rear fill altogether (finally).

dconder 05-04-2006 04:05 PM

Can the Pro 60's actually handle that much? I heard they can't handle as much as the old ProSeries 6.5. I had a pair of the ProSeries in my last truck...I just hated the tweeter.

Also, that was my plan to run one 350.2 per side. Dump the rear fill altogether (finally).

I just looked on Boston's website. The new Pro 60 is only rated at 125 watts. The older Pro6.5, what I had, was rated at 20-400 watts. I was not aware the new ones had been changed that much. I agree with you on the 6.5 tweet. I got them because you could mount them as coaxials. But, just never could get them to sound good. I think most of it was a power issue. Back then, I was running a Memphis amp with only 50 watts.

It looks to me like the Z series are more like the old 6.5. They will handle the same 20-400. Yeah, I would like to hear them with 20 watts a side;)

brypink2 05-04-2006 04:52 PM

Well...almost my whole system is up for sell now...both pair of Utopias, 10W7 & Box, and my Zapco 9.0. If I don't get any bites...It's all going Ebay.

I'm still waiting on a quote from Nick at SI about the MAG's. I'm not sure if they are selling direct anymore or not.

I think I'm going with a new pair of Z6's. I'll see how the tweeter is at first and if I don't like it...I'll replace them.

dconder 05-04-2006 05:24 PM

Well...almost my whole system is up for sell now...both pair of Utopias, 10W7 & Box, and my Zapco 9.0. If I don't get any bites...It's all going Ebay.

I'm still waiting on a quote from Nick at SI about the MAG's. I'm not sure if they are selling direct anymore or not.

I think I'm going with a new pair of Z6's. I'll see how the tweeter is at first and if I don't like it...I'll replace them.

Sounds like a good plan. We are pathetic aren't we?:thumbsup:

On another note, if I go the DLS route in my F-150, I am seriously thinking about taking the pair of Arc 2050's and putting them in the Pilot. I would bridge them and run one to each side of the Diamond Hex. Would go from 100 watts per side to around 200. Although, my test sheet on one of them says 235 watts bridged. Diamond is saying the Hex is rated at 170 watts RMS. I think even at 100, I am short changing them. What do you think?