How to connect amp to HU

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2004, 02:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to connect amp to HU

ok i hope i can get through this without sounding really dumb. I am wanting to install an amplifier in my truck with the stock HU. I am going to just going to run ONE subwoofer. I know I should connect to the rear speaker wires coming out of my HU, but how should i do this? Should I just tapp into the speaker wire with my RCA's and run them to my Low Inputs on my amp? So basically i would be running RCA's cut into the speaker wire back to the amp. I was thinking this would be the best way to do it. Please give me the best way to do this. THANKS

Old 01-06-2004, 02:11 AM
You need a LOC - Line Out Converter.

Circuit city has them for about $20 bucks or so, or an audio store will have them.

You hook it up to the speaker wire and it bumps down the voltage because unless you amp has high level input the voltage will be too great. Also I would probably hook it up to the front speakers that way if you want to turn off the rears you dont have to worry about cutting off the subs too, unless you have a single cab.

Old 01-06-2004, 02:52 AM
My amp also has high level inputs. what about those? could i use those to run a sub? Also about the LOC, If i connected the RCA's directly to the speaker wire it wouldn't work? If there is a way to use the high level inputs i will. thanks for the help

Old 01-06-2004, 07:15 AM
You can't just splice an RCA into a speaker wire then hook it up to the amp because the voltage is usually too high.

If you amp has high level inputs just take the speaker wire and hook it up to the high level inputs.

Old 01-06-2004, 07:00 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The think that sucks about LOC's is that when you turn the volume up over around 3/4, you bass jsut drops off. Im not sure if this is with High LEvel Inputs thought.

I hooked mine up to my rear speakers. The guy at the shop said not to do that, but it was easier to put it on the back ones.

Old 01-06-2004, 08:00 PM
please help asap

my amp says high input, and there is this little white harness that has left and right wires coming out of it. it is just a little wire harness that goes into the amp's high input. is this what i need to hook up to? which wires should i connect to this? how many wires should i connect to the harness if i am running one sub bridged out of my amp?

Old 01-07-2004, 12:47 AM
Hook up a Left + & - and a Right + & - speaker wire into the harness (that should be all it should take unless its a 4 channel.

Quick Reply: How to connect amp to HU