Amp Rating

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2003, 02:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Amp Rating

I'm going to buy an Audiobahn mono amp rated at 400 watts x 1 @ 4 ohms to my dual Thunderform set up...

My question is...How much power is going to each subwoofer? 200 watts each? The subs are rated from 50-250 watts RMS and can handle up to 500 watts total.

Is my system going to be able to provide the punch I need or do I have to make plans to get a different amp?

thanks

Old 12-26-2003, 09:24 AM
What are the ohm ratings for your subs? And are you sure that is a mono amp and about the 400x1@4 ohms? Most mono amps of any quality are rated into 2 or 1 ohm. Are you sure that's not a spec for a bridged 2 channel amp? If it is, my advice is to steer clear. Buy a mono amp specifically made for sub use, but get one that is up to the task, one that will produce about 400 or 500 watts into the correct ohms(depends on what your subs are). Most quality mono amps are designed to use a lower rail voltage, so a low impedance like 2 or even 1 ohm is necessary for them to produce their rated power. People act like there is some kind of magic involved, but there is no trick to any of this, it's just mandatory that everything be matched up. As I've stated here before, these are nothing but electronic devices, and they must be used as they are intended. If they are not they will either fail or their optimum use will not be realized. Sometimes we make this seem a lot more complicated than it really is. It reminds me of back in the early '70s when I first got into muscle cars. Guys would want to put a bigger cam in their engine, when in fact, doing so would affect performance adversely. Because other components in the engine weren't properly matched with the camshaft. But they could tell everyone about their big cam. I see alot of the same BS in car audio. Just throwing a bunch of pieces together without careful matching of the pieces is not good. But people still do it, and they can brag about their two 12s that really pound with their 1200 watt amp, when in fact, the next guy with one 10 and 500 watts might have a better system because of matching his components. And to answer a question you asked. If you have two 4 ohm subs wired in parallel(2 ohms) to an amp that is rated at 400 watts RMS x1 into 2 ohms, then each speaker will get half the power that is being produced at any given time.

Old 12-26-2003, 01:06 PM
rating

The subs themselves have an eight ohm impedance, but when wired the system has a four ohm load.

Here is the amplifier:

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...=0&cc=01&avf=N

And a schematic of the set-up:

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/S-...impedance=SVC8

The amp is priced almost half off on Ebay. I don't want anything majorly expensive or overpowering to use.

Think it will work? The sub is designed for subs and has just the single speaker outputs, which is perfect for me, because this is my last planned mod on the sound.

thanks for the help

Old 12-26-2003, 01:19 PM
one more thing

Last question, I promise

Does the class AB thing matter or do I need to spring for the Class D, like an MTX or something.

Check this one out and give me a final opinion:

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...=0&cc=01&avf=N

Audiobahn or MTX? I have MTX subs so maybe they'll match up better?

Please someone tell me, I tired of looking, these are my choices, my head hurts from ohms and RMS and watts and loads and MOSFET and crossovers. Price is a factor, but not a huge factor. I can get them both half off of retail price on Ebay. Which one Audiobahn or MTX?

thanks

Old 12-26-2003, 01:25 PM
one more

one more opinion...If I wanted to totally cheap out I can get this Sony amp for $155:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=18797

First of all, would it work? and second, Would I be a victim of the old adage "you get what you pay for"?

thanks

Old 12-26-2003, 06:32 PM
Did you see on your other post the info about the RF 351m? As far as the others you've mentioned, the only amp I would even consider is MTX, but that's me.

Old 12-27-2003, 10:40 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by 97f250
As far as the others you've mentioned, the only amp I would even consider is MTX, but that's me.
What he said. Definatley dont get the Sony amp, Ive heard so much bad stuff about them its not even funny.

Look at some Rockford amps.

Also, isnt class D just more power in a smaller size(dimensions) amp?

I dont remember all that class stuff.

Trending Topics

Old 12-27-2003, 10:46 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Check out the RF 401S (400x1) or 451S (450x1)

Quick Reply: Amp Rating