Power distribution?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2003, 07:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power distribution?

ok so i am planning on installing 2 12" RF Punch's that can run at up to 1000 watts per sub. i already have the enclosure but am wondering how many channels the amp should be that i buy becasue i also want to hook up to sets of speakers. Havent picked any speakers yet, and am not usre how many watts they typically use but i am gonna guess that i am gon to need at least a 2200-2400 watt amp. Any way i want to stay with RF when it comes to the amp because i hear you are better off staying with the same company when it comes to subs and amps.

Thanx for any suggestions in advance

Truck:
98 Flareside extended cab

Old 11-20-2003, 07:36 PM
I personally would say try going for two amps:

one for the subs, one for the speakers. Reason I say that is becuase it's gonna be hard to find a multichannel amp that will put out that much power.

But someone else may come up with a different suggestion

Old 11-21-2003, 12:50 AM
Whomever told you that it is best to stay with the same manufacturer for amps and speakers obviously has no clue as to what they are talking about and I would stay far far away from them. If this where truly the case then many companies that only make speakers would go out of business. Now on one side there is no problem going with the same manufacturer for these items and it actually looks quite nice when everything matches up but it has zero impact on sound quality provided that you get a good quality speaker/amp/eq/x-over/RCA/power wire/cap/whatever. For many years JL Audio never even made an amplifier and they have been considered top notch audio from day one. Rockford also for several years when they first started up only made amps. Anyway you see my point, the only benefit would be for someone that is showcasing an install in a magazine or intends to compete with installation being a major point winner and want to stay with theme style components.

Don't get me wrong, I love RF, I use the Symmetry EPX2 with 28 band EQ. I also use an RF 360.6 amp. But I personally would not touch their component setups with a 99 and 1/2' pole because they do not have the sound I enjoy. So you see each company has strong points and weak points the best thing I can say if building for your own enjoyment or maybe even competetion in IASCA street class then matching up makes no real difference and could actually limit you on making your system sound exactly like you want it.

As far as an amp goes look also at Soundstream, The DaVinci would be a close matchup for the all in one you are looking at. Maybe even a Rubicon but I think if you are wanting to put 2000 watts on the subs of true power anyway you are going to wind up having to get 2 seperate amps as John said.

Last edited by cgorris; 11-21-2003 at 01:03 AM.

Quick Reply: Power distribution?