One Wire/Two wires ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2003, 06:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question One Wire/Two wires ?

Hey all. I'm about to install a sub in my truck and I appreciate the info on where to run the power wire from the battery >firewall>cab. I have a circa 1989 Kenwood KAC 642 4 channel amp that I plan to power my front speakers(kappa 572.5f) and I just purchased a US Acoustics 2 channel 2100 that's I'll bridge to 300W to power a single 10 Alpine VR10 In a ported tube I had in a previous truck. I have two questions. First, do I need two seperate power wires from the battery to each amp? And second will I need two turn on leads.(blue/white) on my Pioneer deck. Also I'm Jonesin' for some XM lovin' but gotta tweak the sound first.

Thanks,

Ricksta

Old 08-29-2003, 06:51 AM
Ricksta,

The only way that I would recommend using only one wire is if it is adequate guage to support both amps. Otherwise you will need to run two seperate power wires. As for the remote wire one will be sufficient for 2 amps since they draw such a minimal amount of current. I would however place a .5 amp inline fuse on the remote lead at the head unit. Also be sure to use the amp turn on wire and not the antenna wire if equipped with both. The antenna wire only goes hot when the radio is on where the amp remote stays hot as long as the HU is on. With the amps you are using I suggest that you use 8 gauge on the sub amp and 10 gauge on the 642 4 channel. Or you could use 4 gauge from battery back to where the amps are to help maintain a cleaner looking install.

Old 08-29-2003, 08:39 AM
Just run a single 4awg power wire from the battery to the cab, then use a distribution block and run 8awg to each amp.

Quick Reply: One Wire/Two wires ?