Amp install question

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2003, 02:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amp install question

I am mounting my amp in the bed of the truck. I have no place to put it in the cab. I want to create a box and put a fan in it just to keep it a little cooler. Where should I get the power from for the fan? And should the amp be blowing out of the box or in?
Any ideas? Thanks.

Old 07-16-2003, 06:13 PM
You can't mount the amp under your seat or anywhere? I would NEVER mount my amp in the bed.

1. you better make your "box" water tight. DO NOT get the amp wet at all.
2. if you have a water tight box... good luck keeping the amp cool. Just think about the sun beating down on this little box with an amplifier that produces a good bit of heat.. even though you live in NY.. it will still get very hot in there.
3. be sure and bolt the box into the bed... easy to steal otherwise.
4. there's bound to be room in the cab. What truck do you have... regular cab, supercab, supercrew? What do you have in the truck preventing you from installing it in the cab?

Old 07-16-2003, 09:43 PM
Rhinoslug:You can't get the amp under the bench seat of your lightning? Is there anyway you could mount it on the back wall of the cab? An amp is a giant heat sink. You want put the cool air toward the amp.

Old 08-03-2003, 02:56 PM
In my 99 single cab I got 2 rockford power dvc 12's, 1 kicker zr 600 amp(about the size of a skat board), crossover, mid and high amp, and a power cap. It was a tight fit but it was all in there. Kicker amp was on the back wall between the subs, other amp was under the drivers seat, crossover was in middle in front of kicker amp, cap was in front of passenger side sub. If you are gonig to start putting stuff in your bed, do a bed cut with a tonue cover and put the subs in the bed.

Old 08-30-2003, 02:12 AM
You could always do what we did at one of the stereo shops I used to work at. We had the same problem you are facing (more equipment than room) so what we did was cut the floorboard out, welded a steel box to the body that hung underneath the hole we just cut out (to mount the amp in of course). Oh, our box that we welded in had an opening in both sides for the push pull fans to flow air through the sealed enclosure and thus cool the amp. Then we took PVC pipes and connected and sealed these pipes to our amp enclosure where the fans are and vented them back into the cab under the seat area and covered those holes with speaker grills so that one could pull in cold air and the other push hot air out. Needless to say this setup worked excellent to keep the amp cool and we topped it off with plexglass so that it gave a great cosmetic look. Another thing that would be possible is to put the amp in the back of one of the seats (passenger side is recommended because it can be felt when you sit in that seat).

Quick Reply: Amp install question