TR5 vs TR6

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2002, 08:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TR5 vs TR6

I have a 4# lower, superchip dual, and a K&N panel with a butchered stock airbox. I installed TR 5s gapped at 0.040. It runs excellent. From what I've seen on the boards the TR5s are a popular choice.Someone said they were the wrong plugs and at the wrong gap. Should I have gotten TR6s and at what gap? It is a daily driver.
Thanks
Don

Old 05-24-2002, 09:43 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Don,

Since you mention having a 4# lower pulley, we'll assume this is a Lightning. (You'll have to forgive me, too many people here to remember who is who and drives what, etc.) The actual spec calls for a TR5.5 in bone-stock trim for the Lightning, so you're already running a hotter plug than a bone-stock Lightning should be running, and that needs to be changed pronto.

NGK recommends dropping one heat range for each 75-100 horsepower you have added in some of their materials, and in others they say drop one heat range for each 50-75 hp gained. Either way, you're definitely running too hot aplug and need to change them.

One heat range differerence between otherwise identical spark plugs means the ability to remove another 70C-100C (that's degrees Centigrade) from the combustion chamber. That's what heat range ratings are all about, and with the NGK convention, the lower number means it's a hotter plug. The longer the nose of the spark plug, the hotter it runs in the combustion chamber and the less heat it removes, making it more prone to detonation and pre-ignition. The spark plug's secondary role is as a heat sink, to remove heat from the combustion chamber, so the heat range is critical. A plug that is a range or two too cold won't cause engine damage, but a hotter than correct plug can cause damage.

What you have in there now is actually a half a range hotter than the *stock* spec NGK plug for the Lightning, so I would recommend removing and replacing them immediately with a colder plug. If you're going to stick with an inexpensive plug, then you can use the NGK TR6 or even another half to one range colder, depending on how hard you run it, etc..

For a better plug, you might want to take a look at the Denso Iridiums. A bit pricey, but they last long and they're the best plug we've seen for many engines, especially higher boost motors, and better than NGK's iridium series. We prefer the Denso Iridium in just about any gas motor, thanks to their .4mm firing tip (world's smallest) allowing for an extremely low required voltage to fire, and a large, intense spark kernal. It's a big help with those 5.4 coil packs, which deteriorate at a rather alarming rate, as much as 40% per 10K miles.

As far as gap, NGK calls for a gap for that 5.4 of .054, but most guys close them up to about .038-.040. With the Denso Iridium, we run them at .042-.045 and have no problems with higher-rpm spark blowout, etc.

If you ever need to go over anything about your Lightning or want to do more modificatison to it, feel free to give us a call.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: TR5 vs TR6