2004 - 2008 F-150

Fuel Door broke

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 04:00 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Fuel Door broke

My fuel door has never stayed open on its own, was always retracted when filling with fuel, basically closed on the pump handle. Awhile back I seen another F150 this body generation at the pump and noticed his fuel door stayed open when he opened it, made me scratch my head wondering if mine was always broke, well it turns out it is.

Well a week ago a spring fell out and now it stays open and will not close. Here is a pic. This is embarrassing.. I studied the cap and it looks like the door cover is clipped onto the hinge section, is it? Or is it also glued on? I do not want to break it. I am replacing the entire assembly ( only $30 at the dealer ) and just putting my cap onto the new hinge, how does the cap come off the hinge part?

A photo of what I mean.

Old 01-21-2011, 04:12 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
can't really tell much from that picture darren, but I would recommend looking at the new one and see what it looks like before you try and mess with the old one

Old 01-21-2011, 04:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What spring are you talking about? I thought the only spring was the one actually back in the cubby.

like here:

Old 01-21-2011, 06:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mine does the same thing ive been using double sided tape on every refill and im getting tried of it. i know i broke the clips or the spring because i heard it fall when i closed the door and it didnt stay shut. i tried looking for whatever broke but didnt find anything. let us know how you fix this or if there is a easier way than just replacing the whole thing thanks..

Old 01-21-2011, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Patman03SprCrw
can't really tell much from that picture darren, but I would recommend looking at the new one and see what it looks like before you try and mess with the old one
The joint where the PTM fuel door cap meets the black hinge, that joint. I want to know how to properly removed my door from the hinge so I can replace the fuel cap assembly and re-install my door so I dont need to get one painted.

Originally Posted by Watson91
What spring are you talking about? I thought the only spring was the one actually back in the cubby.

like here:
Yes that spring, it help the door shut. Mine has disappeared and my door is wide open.

Originally Posted by alexarizpe
mine does the same thing ive been using double sided tape on every refill and im getting tried of it. i know i broke the clips or the spring because i heard it fall when i closed the door and it didnt stay shut. i tried looking for whatever broke but didnt find anything. let us know how you fix this or if there is a easier way than just replacing the whole thing thanks..
My remedy is listed in my first quote here. Replacing the entire assembly for $30 and swapping my door cap on.

Old 01-21-2011, 08:14 PM
Darren, to remove the door from the assembly, take a standard (flat head) screw driver stick it into the slot. Pry up some and pull the door straight out. It will only slide a 1/4 of an inch and then will pop off toward the front of the truck. Ill go pull mine off in a few and get a pic of it

Old 01-21-2011, 08:23 PM

Last edited by shifty219; 01-21-2011 at 10:50 PM.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:20 PM
That's why I love this site - someone will go take theirs off and take pics just to show someone else how to do it. Nice job, I dont have that problem but if I do, Shifty219's pic will come to mind.

Old 01-22-2011, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by shifty219
Thank you for going out and doing that, and the instructed photograph, much much appreciated! I'm glad they did not glue it on or tape it in like body moldings. That was my fear. Going to repair this embarrassing issue Monday!

Originally Posted by arogers
That's why I love this site - someone will go take theirs off and take pics just to show someone else how to do it. Nice job, I dont have that problem but if I do, Shifty219's pic will come to mind.
Damn right! Thanks again

Last edited by DarrenWS6; 01-22-2011 at 01:51 PM.
Old 01-22-2011, 02:13 PM
No problem bud. Nothing is worse than driving around with a floppy fuel door

Man my door looks filthy in the pic from it being so cold

Old 01-22-2011, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by shifty219
No problem bud. Nothing is worse than driving around with a floppy fuel door

Man my door looks filthy in the pic from it being so cold
Filthy? You have a right to call that filthy? Did you not see the linked pic of the outside of my door displaying my dirt & salt covered truck?

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...10121-1547.jpg

Old 01-22-2011, 02:36 PM
Thats how mine look yesterday till I powerwashed her. Salt is the major reason I dont like winter as much anymore, and we use crap loads of it. Just ask the guys on here from western Canada, they wont buy a truck that has spent some life in Ontario

Quick Reply: Fuel Door broke