2015 - 2020 F-150

2015 5.0 Engine Hesitation / Tranny Shudder issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2019, 01:55 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 5.0 Engine Hesitation / Tranny Shudder issue

I have a 2015 5.0 4x2 Super Crew, original owner almost 95,000 miles on it. Recently started developing what I can only describe as a hesitation, or shudder under certain acceleration conditions. It's never when really "in the gas", usually happens when cruising in traffic between 40-60 mph, usually when in 5th or 6th gear, but not always. What will happen is that while accelerating with light "throttle foot" the truck seems like it loses power for a brief second, then resumes. Sometimes will do it 2 or 3 times in a row in quick succession.

No Check Engine Light
No rough idle
No pops or misfire
Truck runs smooth and pulls hard EXCEPT when it does this

Other than this, truck is solid, I am original owner, been very happy with the truck, have not had any problems with it. Original plugs. Have "Extracare" Ford Warranty, so am thinking of just dropping it off for them to fix.

I'm not sure if this generation of truck h as the "Coil on plugs" like my previous 5.4 had or not, not done any engine work on the 5.0, any ideas before I bring it in? I know that the plugs are probably about due for replacement, but if it was the plugs, I would think there would be other symptoms, or it would be doing it consistently..

Old 12-02-2019, 02:10 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Not necessarily.

At 95,000 it's due for new plugs.

These newer engines are hard on plugs, even though plugs have platinum.

As the plugs increase in gap more, you'll get worsening symptoms to finally a CEL. Don't wait, get it fixed.

FWIW, I know it's a different engine, but my 2.4l GEMA engine in my '07 Jeep Compass recommends plug changes every 20-30K miles. I can tell when they get to around ~20K, I start getting what you mention. AND this engine runs NGKs from the factory. Right now I got a hair over 300,000 miles on it. I've been through a LOT of plugs... but luckily they take 15 minutes to swap.

Old 12-02-2019, 02:24 PM
How hard is it to change plugs? My previous gen 5.4 was a nightmare, above and beyond the "spark plugs breaking" issue, had to take the fuel rail and intake manifold off to even get to them.

Also, from what I remember, when you changed the plugs on the older engines, you had to change the COP's, is this a thing any more, or do they recommend you change plug wires or anything else at the same time?

Also, in the past, i've stuck with the Motorcraft plug, looks like it's part number Motorcraft SP-548

Old 12-02-2019, 03:28 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Not sure. I'd do some Youtubing on it.

I can't imagine it would be that hard.

Changing the spark plugs is the first place I'd start.

Old 12-02-2019, 06:03 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
Classic low grade misfire due to excessive spark plug gap, it's not the tranny.

You shouldn't need to replace the COPs unless you let it keep running like that, trying to fire an excessive gap due to wear is hard on them.. Easy to change, they are in the middle of the valve covers, not buried between the valve covers and intake.

I'm surprised you got that many miles out of the originals. Ford says to change them at 100k, but 60k is a lot more realistic. Use Motorcraft SP548 plugs,

Old 12-06-2019, 07:53 AM
Well, I changled the plugs and it's still doing it

Old 12-06-2019, 09:57 AM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Probably COPS but I would scan for codes to see if any are stored.

Old 12-06-2019, 10:01 AM
glc
Did you use dielectric grease when you reinstalled the cops?

Old 12-06-2019, 03:08 PM
Yes

Old 12-06-2019, 05:21 PM
glc
A high end scanner that can show freeze frame data should be able to pin down which cylinder or cylinders is/are misfiring. With new plugs, it's probably either cops or injectors. You may want to run some Techron through a couple tanks of gas.

Old 12-16-2019, 03:45 PM
Ok, here's an update. I changed the plugs like I said before, a couple days later, I noticed a "whine" at higher speeds on the highway. Got progressively worse after a couple days, so took it to the dealership . I have an extracare warranty (so far i've not gotten hardly ANY use out of it, unlike my last truck), so I told them about the hesitation, and the whine, and just to fix it.

Long story short, there was a pinion gear bearing failing, they had the truck for about a week, but I got it back today and the whine is fixed, they replaced a BUNCH of parts in the rear diff, I have a list of them on my reciept. Completely covered by my warranty thank god. They could not diagnose the hesitation, but it's still doing it. So I don't know.

DURING the week they had my truck, they gave me a 2020 F150 XLT SCREW 4x4 with I think a 5.0, man, I really hate the way that 10 speed tranny drives. I put about 600 miles on it while i had it, and I never got a feel for what it was doing. Skips around a lot, power seems worse. Also being a 4x4, I wasn't really super impressed by the ride quality.

At this point, i'm trying to convince myself there's nothing wrong with the truck. They tried to sell me some $150 induction system cleaning process which "may help it"... i'm not sure that's a real thing or snake oil... thoughts?

Old 12-16-2019, 06:32 PM
glc
Induction system cleaning can't hurt, it's not snake oil. I have it done at each plug change. Not saying it will definitely fix the issue, but if you don't normally use top tier gas it will likely help. Before doing that I'd run Techron through the gas and switch to top tier if you don't already use it.

https://www.toptiergas.com/licensed-brands/

Old 12-19-2019, 08:01 AM
Something I think I may have needed to do, but didn't was to change the COP Boots... does it matter what "brand" to get? Unlike most things motorcraft, none of the local parts stores carry the official motorcraft plug boots. Does it matter if I get aftermarket? If so, what would you recommend? Also, do you need any special tools or procedure to change the boots??

I feel dumb for not doing this when I had it apart a couple weeks ago, but this seems to be a very common suggestion online. I'm leaving for my trip Monday and I need this piece of mind.

Old 12-19-2019, 10:29 AM
glc
Old 10-14-2021, 12:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exact same issue with my 2017 V8

Originally Posted by crazynip
I have a 2015 5.0 4x2 Super Crew, original owner almost 95,000 miles on it. Recently started developing what I can only describe as a hesitation, or shudder under certain acceleration conditions. It's never when really "in the gas", usually happens when cruising in traffic between 40-60 mph, usually when in 5th or 6th gear, but not always. What will happen is that while accelerating with light "throttle foot" the truck seems like it loses power for a brief second, then resumes. Sometimes will do it 2 or 3 times in a row in quick succession.

No Check Engine Light
No rough idle
No pops or misfire
Truck runs smooth and pulls hard EXCEPT when it does this

Other than this, truck is solid, I am original owner, been very happy with the truck, have not had any problems with it. Original plugs. Have "Extracare" Ford Warranty, so am thinking of just dropping it off for them to fix.

I'm not sure if this generation of truck h as the "Coil on plugs" like my previous 5.4 had or not, not done any engine work on the 5.0, any ideas before I bring it in? I know that the plugs are probably about due for replacement, but if it was the plugs, I would think there would be other symptoms, or it would be doing it consistently..
I'm having the exact shudder that you originally described under light acceleration at times. Did you ever get it resolved if so can you share what the issue was?

Quick Reply: 2015 5.0 Engine Hesitation / Tranny Shudder issue