2015 - 2020 F-150

Common problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2019, 03:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Common problems

Howdy everyone, been a few years since I have been around here but its time to upgrade my old 05 to a newer truck. I am looking to buy a used 15-16 5.0 4x4 crew cab, and was wondering if there were any common problems with these trucks that I should look out for? I have crused the forum a bit and seen a few threads, but figured just asking outright what the experts here think would be my best bet.

Thanks in advance for any help

Old 05-03-2019, 07:20 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
The 5.0l v8 is generally reliable and noticeably more powerful.

I would trust it more than a 3v 5.4l that you currently have (unless bullet proofed VCT/lockouts w/Melling oil pump).

Others will likely chime in.

Old 05-03-2019, 11:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Manual, I feel the same way honestly. I put very few miles on my truck and keep them a long time, but I just dont trust this 5.4 at this point as I am starting to get some timing chain rattle on startup. I only have 96,000 on the truck and I bought it new in 06, I have changed oil at every 4-5k and tried to keep up with all maintenance, but I have been putting off changing the plugs for fear of one being stuck in the head. I would honestly rather trade it in at this point and let a dealer deal with it than try and do it myself. I should have changed them years ago, but I was scared to do it as a broke college student, so I put it off and now that I am no longer a broke college student but I am a father of 3 little girls who apparently need new clothes as they grow.

I am not apposed to buying a 13 or 14 if they have less problems than the 15-16, I used to know this kind of thing but I lived on this forum while in college and haven't had time for it since graduating. The only reason I was looking at the 15 or newer was the aluminium body for weight and sync 3, but I can just put in an aftermarket head unit with android auto if there are no other big advantages to the newer years.

Old 05-04-2019, 11:02 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
I take it we are the same or approximate age... lol

I used to spend a lot of time on this forum when I was in college, then took a hiatus, then now I'm back. Though not as much as I used to be, but try to contribute when I get some time.

In any event, it was probably a good thing you didn't mess with them since you were broke. It's like playing Russian roulette with the damn things. I've helped a number of folks out in my area change plugs in their 5.4 3v. Some ended well, some not so well. My best success was using an air impact while the truck was still hot; buzzes them right out. I had one, when I threw on the bench it broke in half -- I was like whew! Luckily that didn't happen in the engine! Other times it was just a mess.

I got the 4.2l V6, even though it's not the greatest engine, it's one that is fairly simple to work on and is quite dependable. I just wished they offered my '07 with a 5 speed with a 4x4 option with the 4.2l, but it is what it is. Still a phenomenal truck, and I take good care of it.

But yeah, I think you'll be happy with a 15-16 m/y truck with the 5.0l V8. Folks generally seem quite pleased with them.

Quick Reply: Common problems