2015 - 2020 F-150

Head light bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 07:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Head light bulbs

Looking to change my low beam headlights as well as my reversing lights to something brighter on my 2018 f150 but having problems finding product numbers seeing as the truck is new, anybody know where I can look for these product numbers

Old 11-25-2017, 09:13 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Shdbeno2
Looking to change my low beam headlights as well as my reversing lights to something brighter on my 2018 f150 but having problems finding product numbers seeing as the truck is new, anybody know where I can look for these product numbers
Define "brighter" first. And please don't think I'm acting like a smart a__. The reason I say this is that although many bulbs promise that they're "brighter," very few of them actually are. Most take advantage of the fact that all halogen bulbs dim over time. So when you replace them - with anything new - they will indeed be somewhat brighter. This is why so many people will tell you that they put new XXX brand bulbs in and they can suddenly see half way around the globe.

The other problem with lights / bulbs that appear to be brighter when looking directly at them (such as HID or LED replacement bulbs in a stock housing) is that what looks brighter is just stray / undirected light that shows up as glare for oncoming drivers and serves no useful purpose - other than pissing people off. (That's why pictures comparing brightness looking directly at the lights are such a farce.) My personal definition of brighter lights is lighting that puts more usable light on the ground where I need it. And that's pretty hard to come by.

The other thing you want to consider is beam pattern. When replacing just the bulb, you're pretty much stuck with the stock beam pattern. If that pattern sucks, it's still going to suck - even with "brighter" bulbs. Unfortunately, the beam pattern on the latest generation F-150's is not noted for being anything great. (Check the latest IIHS ratings of headlights.) Same goes for the reverse lights. They suck because the reflector and housing are so pathetically small that you're not going to improve the amount of light on the ground with them with just a bulb swap.

So, I hope I didn't burst your bubble too badly, but depending on how you define "brighter, you may be pretty much SOL. And that advice comes from decades of tinkering with lighting on cars and trucks.

Old 11-28-2017, 08:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Put in an H9 to replace the stock H11 Lo beam. Some mods required,. but well worth it (lotsa youtube videos for mods). While you're at it, replace the stock 9005 Hi beam w/ a 9011, and the stock 9140 Fog w/ the 9005 that you just pulled out of the Hi beam socket. These mods won't blind oncoming drivers nor yourself from reflective signs. These bulbs should've been in place from the factory. It's a PITA changing these elements out, so I suggest removing the front wheel(s) for better access.
Sorry, but I can't help w/ b/u lights.