2015 - 2020 F-150

Gear Change?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 01:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gear Change?

Recently purchased a 2015 xlt 5.0 4x4 with...3.31 gears. I live in higher elevation with lots of hills and wind (Wyoming). Truck was sold locally and it didn't even register to me the gears could be 3.31. That aside, I had a 2011 eco with 3.73 and the truck never needed to downshift to climb a hill or tackle the wind. I know the 5.0 isn't as stout, but this truck downshifts at just the thought of a hill. I don't really tow, although a boat or camper are in the future. Heading east, tail wind, it will downshift but I can pull 27 mpg. Heading west, into wind, it will sometimes need two downshifts to 4th and I'll see 17 mpg in the same driving style/distance.

So the question. No dealer around me will do a gear change to 3.73. A previous threat stated ford cannot/will not be able to reflash PCM for the change. A local diesel/off road shop quoted me the gear change with yukon gears, so that part can be done.

If I do the gear change, can a programmer (SCT x4) actually change the ratio so the transmission shifts properly? To do this, I realize the warranty will be void. I just don't want to change gears and have my truck/computer not talking to each other.

Old 02-28-2017, 03:03 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Yes, a programmer will change your gear ratio to correct your speedometer. Not many dealers know it but they have the ability to change the gear ratio in the computer to any factory available gear ratio. So if 3.73's are available on the 15+ 150's then the dealer can do it. Whether they know how or are willing is a different story.

Never understood why Ford puts such tall gears behind the 5.0, but the ecoboost gets shorter gears. The 5.0 makes less torque and at a higher rpm so it needs the shorter gears much more than the EB does. I guess they don't want to cannibalize the EB sales.

Old 02-28-2017, 04:16 PM
Thanks, the few dealers around me won't even touch a change. Another user stated '15+ are no longer/ not yet supported on their systems to adjust ratio.
Canceling my ford extended warranty will yield the cost to cover a gear change. Just worried about the compatibility with the operation on adding gears and programmer.

Old 02-28-2017, 09:27 PM
I also believe that The Forscan software will allow you to do this.

Old 02-28-2017, 10:24 PM
Originally Posted by Scott91370
I also believe that The Forscan software will allow you to do this.
From what I've read, the Forscan software does not change pcm values. There are a couple users who ran into issues trying to correct changes with forscan with no solution posted. Late model trucks seem to need pcm changes.