2015 - 2020 F-150

2015 5.0 or 3.5 Ecoboost

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 08:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
It sounds to me like he's fussy about the configuration and other options - and there aren't THAT many out there yet. I think he's looking for a Scab, not a Screw. The dealer here has 151 new vehicles in stock and exactly 3 of them are 2015 F150's, all 3 are 4wd Screws, 2 with the 2.7 and one with the 5.0. They have 34 leftover 2014 F150's.
Yeah I was being a little fussy about options, and since we're getting a supercab there aren't as many out there as you think. I've been on cars.com for so many hours looking up window stickers my eyeballs are starting to glaze over. I was trying to find Race Red or Magnetic with a sunroof, so that wasn't helping either. If I get rid of that requirement, there are a ton of options. The other thing is that we ARE in BFE (Iowa), but the dealer is willing to go up to 300 miles to get it.

I'd love to order one but I assume the wait time on an order is pretty far out there. I did rent a car for this week, and it was $200. That would add up fast. I have to go to Germany for work next week, so the wife can drive my car so we have another week to work with.

As for warrantys, I do know what you guys mean. I almost never buy them. After seeing the warranty bill for the replacement head on my Focus 2.0 EB, I did bit the bullet and buy one for that car. They actually pulled the entire engine from the car to do the work.

I bought it online from a ford dealer that discounts OEM Ford warrantys, and if I remember right it was only about $1100 for 7 years and 125k miles. I almost hope my engine grenades itself at 100k miles lol. I'm sure it won't happen, I'm at 65k now on my 2013 and it's been perfect since the head was replaced.

Old 02-21-2015, 07:50 PM
Got home from Germany yesterday, picked her up today and got almost everything on our wish list (no sunroof).... and we did wind up deciding on the 5.0 even though this truck cost us just a bit more than the 2.7EB with the sunroof that we found.

XLT, 302A package, Nav, FX4 package, sport appearance package, LED mirror spotlights, tailgate step, and a few other minor things. Would have liked the 20" painted wheels but those can always be changed out when we need new tires. I like the 18" ones that came on it as well. The only option we didn't wind up with was the sunroof, but with that costing another grand I didn't mind saving the money as this was pushing our budget as is.

Old 02-21-2015, 08:12 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Good looking truck!

Old 02-21-2015, 08:15 PM
Thanks, I think we were still leaning a TINY bit towards Magnetic, but the Race Red is pretty amazing. They picked the truck up last Monday, and said they had a hard time keeping employees and customers away from it all week even though it was parked in the service department. I'm toying with the idea of doing a lower two tone job on it with the front and rear bumpers (and the sides in between) painted magnetic, but I don't think I ever will. Our 2007 had that color combo and it looked good, but I actually think I like it better this way. Maybe a few years down the road it would be a cool change of pace.

Last edited by rgonyer; 02-21-2015 at 08:38 PM.
Old 02-21-2015, 08:17 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
I prefer solid colors myself. Hope the 5.0 is a good one for you.

Old 05-22-2015, 11:52 AM
Originally Posted by Wookie
Hold on there sparkly. Start adding up the total number of parts and you'll quickly find out a DOHC V8 has a bunch of moving parts in the top end and a good number more in the bottom. Now look a turbo, there's only a few parts in it. It's all done based on air movement and expansion. It's dirt simple.

If we want to start talking about fancy papers I have one with my name and Mechanical Engineer on it...
Originally Posted by DewserB
So, Jim....Would you consider me a "clown" or "hyena"?

As MGD said, it sure looked to me like the OP had already made up his mind and was simply seeking validation; To the point where, even after MGD had provided objective and factual real-world evidence, the OP continued to defend his already-made-up mind. Then, the OP asked for factual, objective input even after having been provided said.

Personally, I think that's going about things backwards.

I suppose it's OK for MGD or anyone else trying to help to get frustrated by folks either ignoring or dismissing the good info provided, but it's not OK for someone to get chapped for being called out on it?

Besides, why is everybody so damn serious? Life is WAY too short to get all out of sorts for being questioned or even "ripped". (By the way, OP...if you think that's being "ripped", ye ain't seen nuffin' yet! ) Over the 13 years I've been here, I've been questioned, razzed, called out, told off, and ripped on here more times than I can count. But guess what. 13 years later, I'm still here.

How can I possibly put up with such reproach and persecution, you ask? It's really quite simple. Either laugh at meseff (and the feller whut called me out) and go on, stand my ground and argue my case (then laugh at mesefff and the feller whut called me out) and go on, or just ignore it (while laughing at meseff and the feller whut called me out) and go on. It ain't rocket science, it ain't life and death, and it surely ain't worth loosing sleep over.

At any rate, the only reason I even read this thread is because I've owned both engines, and I figured I could help. However, it sure looked like he'd already made up his mind and was fishing for someone to say the 5.0 was superior to the terrible EB. I personally don't care for that approach because 9 times out of 10, it doesn't matter what anyone says anyway.

It wasn't like a "hyena" smelling fresh meat.

Anyway, best of luck to you, OP. Don't rush it. Research, research, research. Test drive all the available trucks and option configurations as much as you can. When the new truck smell is gone six months down the road, you don't want to regret yer decision.
Originally Posted by fordmantpw
Ford has tested this engine more than you could ever imagine. Look at how well the 3.5L did when released. Yes, it had some issues, but overall, it has been rock solid. And it was COMPLETELY new! This 2.7L builds off lessons learned with that engine. Don't let the truck you like slide by because it has a different engine. I wouldn't be afraid of the 2.7L at all.

Of course, it's your money and your truck. Good luck!
All true. But looks like he went with a 5.0 like he wanted from the start. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Old 05-22-2015, 01:56 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Didn't see the purchase. Congrats. Love the color choice too

Old 05-26-2015, 04:02 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Planning on keeping a supecharged engine around for 10 years is a pipe dream... I think you would be hard pressed to find many ecoboosts out there in existance anywhere with 100k miles on them, but maintenance on a blown engine is going to be a constant headache the older they are

Quick Reply: 2015 5.0 or 3.5 Ecoboost