2015 - 2020 F-150

Changes for 2015 all in one place.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 09:54 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by millerman
Im not understanding the appeal of the floor shifter.
If you had one you would understand .

Old 01-17-2014, 08:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't like the huge, goofy looking acc. power cover on the dash. The flip up hinge thing looks gimmicky like it will break off.

Old 01-17-2014, 09:43 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Rambo
People have been complaining about not having a nice stereo on the XLT for years. It looks like we can get the nicer stereo with MFT. This is huge.
^^^ Curious about why you think this is 'Huge'.

Sync/MFT is tempermental, finicky, patch-burdened, frivolous, distracting blingy crap. In addition to being an ergomomic and usability nightmare for many. Oh ... Microsoft !

I looked at the Owner Guide for a '14 - more than a quarter of that manual is dedicated to the Infotainment system.... 110+ pages out of ~400. That's nuts.

Explains why we need an IV rep and a dedicated forum for problems (no offense intended). Rather - it should be an intuitive, seamless almost invisible interface that serves as an enabler of other functionality, rather than be the focus of so much frustration, confusion and ire. The Web is clogged with issues.

That's aboot the ONLY thing whut be 'huge' aboot it - a Huge PITA, IMHO

And no, I'm not a digital Native, I'm a Digital Immigrant; but neither am I a Luddite. And I'm a geek

Sadly folks born with a smartphone/tablet in one hand while injesting pablum with the other seem to think that a touchscreen, tethering, texting and voice control is the answer to everything - even to the point of basing the buying decision of an ENTIRE vehicle on a ~hundred dollars worth of electronics (real value) and some code.

Ridiculous. I know very few old farts who embrace this stuff. And I know many very bright kids who also share my digust. Hmmm ... maybe it's the 'very bright' part that is the key here

MGD

Old 01-17-2014, 11:27 AM
This old fart is a big fan. Too each his own

Old 01-17-2014, 11:31 AM
I have MFT on my wife's Edge and it's never had any kind of problems and she really likes it. I do think it could be improved upon but I also don't think its as bad and complicated as some people report.

Old 01-17-2014, 11:33 AM
Originally Posted by MGDfan
^^^ Curious about why you think this
The issues with MFT are greatly exaggerated and much of it doesn‘t have to do with the F-150 system which is a different design.

We have MFT in another vehicle and don't have any problems with it. And it is supposed to be even faster and easier to use on the F-150 with several redundant buttons and no touch-sensitive panels for many controls and upgraded 2015 system. How do you know it will be a huge PITA if nobody has used a 2015 F-150 yet?

If the system is as bad as you describe where are all of the F-150 MFT problems in the ’09 forum on f150online? Hardly anyone is having an issue. I believe there was one thread of someone who couldn’t get a phone hooked up properly with MFT and this was resolved. If I get it, I’m not using it for the phone. The system has been out for almost 2 years and only 1 minor problem in the '09 forum. It doesn’t get much better than that.

I like this move because I can get an XLT 8' bed SuperCab with the big screen. Don't have to go aftermarket. Don't have to go to an upper trim with a short bed. I can have the Sony stereo, HD radio, XM on the big screen, and better climate control.

The backup camera will now show up on the big screen instead of the tiny screen in the rearview mirror, etc.

There is the possibility of the bigger console, more storage, all of the media outlets, etc.

Old 01-17-2014, 11:34 AM
Originally Posted by tstjohn
This old fart is a big fan. To each his own
Yeah - but I don't know you, youngin'....

Most old farts are challenged enough by the not-so-simple task of driving, without the distraction from the center-stack Bitchin' Betty.

It's always Bling over Usability, or even Simplicity. The designers are mostly 20-somethings or Millennials, so it's not unexpected.

"Make Me Amazing" is the new design philosophy - which is retarded - what does that even Mean???

MGD

Old 01-17-2014, 11:55 AM
Originally Posted by Rambo
The issues with MFT are greatly exaggerated and much of it doesn‘t have to do with the F-150 system which is a different design.

We have MFT in another vehicle and don't have any problems with it. And it is supposed to be even faster and easier to use on the F-150 with several redundant buttons and no touch-sensitive panels for many controls and upgraded 2015 system. How do you know it will be a huge PITA if nobody has used a 2015 F-150 yet?

If the system is as bad as you describe where are all of the F-150 MFT problems in the ’09 forum on f150online? Hardly anyone is having an issue. I believe there was one thread of someone who couldn’t get a phone hooked up properly with MFT and this was resolved. If I get it, I’m not using it for the phone. The system has been out for almost 2 years and only 1 minor problem in the '09 forum. It doesn’t get much better than that.

I like this move because I can get an XLT 8' bed SuperCab with the big screen. Don't have to go aftermarket. Don't have to go to an upper trim with a short bed. I can have the Sony stereo, HD radio, XM on the big screen, and better climate control.

The backup camera will now show up on the big screen instead of the tiny screen in the rearview mirror, etc.

There is the possibility of the bigger console, more storage, all of the media outlets, etc.
You looking in the right spot?

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sync-system-134/

And when I do a quick 'MFT' search on F150forum I see a lot of folks having issues. These are probably even more but that site does not have a dedicated 'MyFordTouchMeThere' forum. Pick any Ford site and it's the same story.

Half a dozen neighours and relatives with these systems - every one of them had had an issue of some type, at some point, and I end up being their tech support. Can you BLAME me fer being irritable?

It ain't random, or isolated - it's anything but.

Ford has had how long to get this right? and it's STILL being discussed. I don't think 2015 is the magic bullet. They need a clean-sheet redesign, IMHO.

Fer all of the folks who either genuinely do not have any issues - or claim not to (human nature - folks tend not to like being reminded they chose poorly, lol), my HAT is off to you. The rest (the vocal or silent majority, in my view) - have my condolences

I will not be among them. I get my fill just training folks, and fixin' (or tryin' to) other folks' problems.

Where's my buddy AdrianSpeeder? Now there's a bright young smart feller who actually agrees with me

MGD

Last edited by MGDfan; 01-17-2014 at 11:59 AM.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:14 PM
Love my my ford touch...my parents (60 and 62 years old) love theirs....People who ride in my truck comment on how nicely laid out the center stack is laid out and how easily accessible the touch screen is, everything you need is on the home screen, rarely ever need to venture off the home screen. Not to mention, the only buttons on the screen that are used in my truck are the seat heaters/coolers and the text message reader button.

I work in the automotive industry and the hardware issues that were causing havoc on the old MFT systems are gone. These days the systems are flawless. Yes, there is a slight learning curve, as with all new technology, but nothing more than just 10 minutes in the parking lot playing with it wont cure.

Most "problems" with technology are user errors.

Old 01-17-2014, 12:46 PM
Originally Posted by azmidget91
Love my my ford touch...my parents (60 and 62 years old) love theirs....People who ride in my truck comment on how nicely laid out the center stack is laid out and how easily accessible the touch screen is, everything you need is on the home screen, rarely ever need to venture off the home screen. Not to mention, the only buttons on the screen that are used in my truck are the seat heaters/coolers and the text message reader button.

I work in the automotive industry and the hardware issues that were causing havoc on the old MFT systems are gone. These days the systems are flawless. Yes, there is a slight learning curve, as with all new technology, but nothing more than just 10 minutes in the parking lot playing with it wont cure.

Ahh. But yer savvy, and I suspect yer parents are too.

The vast majority of folks are not. And even some savvy ones are not impressed.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sync-system-134/ Take-away from this is "Done On The Cheap".

And as is increasingly the case, the END-USER is the R&D department! "We'll patch it later - we need to hurry up and release it now to beat the market". Meanwhile, folks are ripping their hair out. https://www.f150online.com/forums/sy...e-i-drive.html

http://www.dailytech.com/Ford+Rolls+...ticle33119.htm

http://www.syncsucks.com/

Sadly, That's the usual dismissive (and somewhat arrogant) mantra espoused by techies the galaxy over. Forkin' DFU's - yep, they ARE out here, aight. BUT- You have to ask yerself, though, when enough of these same alleged 'user errors' pop up for the same system many, many times over, regardless of demographic, what metric do you apply to determine if they are actually indicative of a bona-fide systemic problem? What's the threshold?

That's also a human trait - "it's not my software, it must be you ...", " it ain't the hardware, it's the software ...". "I didn't write that code, he did ...", "it's supposed to be like that ...", " it's operating as designed...", "reboot it and try again ...WTF did you touch?", "you did something wrong ...", "there's nothing in the logs ...", "there's no CEL or code, so there's no problem ...", "oh that. Uh, it'll be fixed in the next update...". ....ad nauseum.

BTW - No one has addressed the reason we need an IV Team member (again no offense) where what we really need is a Ford Customer Service presence ( like F150forum and others have). Or,Why we have a dedicated forum if it's so trivial that a monkey could do it.

If it's not an issue, or a piddly '10 minutes and yer golden' thing, why the rep? Seems like a waste of a resource that could be more effectively used elsewhere. There are no idle Maytag repairmen any more.

And - don't know anyone who can read and absorb 110 pages in 10 minutes in a parking lot - besides myself, of course -

The dealer reps sure can't as they have NFC - when I went there for someinfo. I ended up teaching them. Free (bad) coffee though - and the receptionistas' were hotties So - it took me a looong time...

And lastly - a great read - very germane - with some really surprising statistics: http://www.thespec.com/news-story/43...-smartphones-/.

MGD

Last edited by MGDfan; 01-17-2014 at 03:14 PM.
Old 01-17-2014, 02:45 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Not gonna lie those badges remind me of the old 9th gen badges!

Old 01-18-2014, 10:22 PM
Talking

In 1916 the advanced ohv, six-cylinder Model 34 was introduced with aluminum cylinder block, most engine components (including pushrods), body, hood and radiator shell. Developments of this model continued as late as 1927, acquiring Delco coil ignition in 1920 and the option of front wheel brakes in 1923.

Aluminum the new metal -- see above for the Marmon
You guys are 80 years behind the time !!

Old 01-19-2014, 12:17 AM
Question

for the 2.7 liter - can someone explain the "fracture split main bearing cap" ?

Old 01-19-2014, 12:04 PM
Originally Posted by jgc2521
I don't like the huge, goofy looking acc. power cover on the dash. The flip up hinge thing looks gimmicky like it will break off.
They are more robust than you think. I the same thing covering the acc plug in my Ram and its pretty solid.

Old 01-19-2014, 12:37 PM
Originally Posted by mete
for the 2.7 liter - can someone explain the "fracture split main bearing cap" ?
Her ya go:

http://www.google.com/patents/US8573177

MGD

Quick Reply: Changes for 2015 all in one place.....