2015 - 2020 F-150

clunking noise on bumps

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 09:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clunking noise on bumps

Hello all, I have a 2015 ford 4x4 Supercrew with 23,000 miles. I bought the truck brand new and have not had any other issues than this clunking noise in rear end ect. It only does it on bumpy roads or as i ride thru my pasture where its not level. I have been to the ford dealer 4 times with this issue and they cant seem to fix it and tell me its normal. it never use to do this at all. the second time i took it they said it was the springs and they put some kind of parts in the springs to fix it. well that helped for about 2 years. now its back and worse than ever. they keep saying its normal in the new fords and there is nothing they can do about it. it sounds like its 40 years old going down the road and have grown to hate this truck. plz help

Old 06-05-2018, 09:31 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Are you sure it's the rear end, and not something else? Like the tailgate, spare tire, etc?

Old 06-14-2018, 01:26 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Sometimes it's difficult to tell where a noise is coming from when you're inside of the cab. I would let someone sit in the bed of the truck and see where the noise is coming from.

In my experience, clunking sounds are usually caused by a rubber bushing that has deteriorated. Like the ones used at the top and the bottom of the shocks.

Quick Reply: clunking noise on bumps