2015 - 2020 F-150

2.7 Orange Wrench Light - Check Manual???

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 12:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine came on after the engine started back up after the auto start stop was engaged. The light doesn't come back on after turning off the truck and then back on. I have been able to recreate the issue almost every time so its not intermittent and definitely an issue with the auto start stop...which I hate BTW.

Old 03-27-2019, 06:31 PM
Wrench light

Originally Posted by Douglas Atkins
Took mine into the dealer. Same problem. They had to replace the transmission pump. Truck has 27,700 miles. Covered under the warranty but the power train only goes 5 years or 60,000 miles whichever comes first. I will hit that in 3 years. This was a $1,200 repair. If this is going to fail every 27,000 miles, this is going to be a money pit of a vehicle. Not what I had come to expect from Ford F150s.
Hi Doug,
Mine has the same issue. Wrench light comes on after auto-start is activated for the first time. Then it goes away after turning off the truck. Mine has 42K miles. Was this included in the 60K powertrain warranty? Thanks!

Old 04-01-2019, 09:48 AM
I have a 2015 2.7l SuperCrew and this just started with me at 61k miles. This is on top of the oil pan leak that was just discovered. Unfortunately, neither is covered as I am out of warranty. When I turn the Auto Start off, everything's fine. If this is as expensive as I've read, I may look to just disabling the Auto Start.

Old 04-01-2019, 10:11 AM
Sounds like it's not covered by the $60K powertrain warranty either from what I'm reading...even though its a faulty transmission fluid aux pump. I unplugged my autostart (lowest connector under dash by brake pedal) a few days ago and haven't had any problems since...just need to remember to plug it back in before towing something.

Old 01-08-2021, 10:57 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well my 2016 2.7L Extended Cab hit 51,000 miles and I have encountered the Orange Wrench Stop-Start issue. Took to dealer, horrible experience but, they said the Trans Fluid Aux Pump is overheating and needs replacement. And no, not covered by the 60K Powertrain Warranty. Isn't the pump needed to "Power" the vehicle via the transmission??? Anyway part is Backordered as well, so I am thinking there are a good number of vehicles suffering the same consequences. $800 is a good chuck of change, and frustrating when you purchase the truck new, as well as follow all maintenance procedures....

It is always disheartening that a design flaw, more than likely, forces the customer to pay. Since this threads last post was close to a year ago. Anyone needing to replace the pump a second time?? I was worried about the battery and starter going out with the Stop-Start feature, NOT A TRANSMISSION PUMP. Might be time to learn my lesson and jump ship. I have owned a full-sized Bronco and 4 F150's, each experienced their unique issues. Maybe RAM stands by their products better? Or are we just supposed to spend $50K on a disposable truck.... Sorry frustrated rambling.

Old 01-19-2021, 12:45 PM
Update. After several calls, including service manager and general manager of dealership, the part number has changed, "recently?" and it is now a covered part on the 60K powertrain warranty. Part is backordered and not expected for a couple of weeks. Once the repair is made I can post the part number and other information about the repair, so someone else can be saved some headaches.

The following users liked this post:
Old 03-30-2021, 03:43 PM
So, I had the part replaced. And, after almost a month, the Orange Wrench is back! So, turns out the replacement pump is now bad. Wonder if they primed it properly? And the pump is again backordered. FORD I am losing confidence........ Either the design is wrong, or your mechanics are not properly installing them. Ugh

Quick Reply: 2.7 Orange Wrench Light - Check Manual???