2015 - 2020 F-150

Sunroof Noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 05:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 2015 Lariat super crew with the same rattleing noise at low speeds anytime I hit a imperfection in the road. I currently have 33000 miles on the truck. I asked the dealer to give it a look the last time I had it in for a oil change and they said they could not find a problem causing the moon roof to rattle.

Old 05-10-2017, 08:32 PM
The rattling noise is coming from the moon roof frame. I had mine replaced but only after I called Ford and complained. I don't know why the dealership pretends that it doesn't exist. It costs them nothing. My rattling has stopped since the frame was replaced. Hope this helps.

Old 05-18-2017, 04:16 PM
I have a 2015 f150 Lariat supercrew with the same sun roof noise problem. It sounds like something is loose but if you push up around the edges when it is closed and put the palm of your hand on it from the inside with just a little pressure and move your hand around a little you get the noise. I think it is the body of the truck flexing from imperfections in the road causing the sun roof frame to move around the body opening of the sunroof. You can hear mine a lot more when going 25 mph or less. Every imperfection in the road and the truck body flexes more than the sun roof glass and frame causing a rattleing noise. I took the service manager at Feyer Ford of Edenton N.C. On a test drive for him to hear it and he and I heard it without any problem. They took my truck in ok May 17 2017 at 8 am and called me later in the afternoon that day and told me Ford has a TSB on this issue and they did not have the stuff on hand to perform the TSB and had to order the stuff (which consist of alcohol and grease). They still have my truck today May 18 2017 and it is 4:15 pm and I have not heard from them yet. I will let you know the outcome when I find out anything. My truck has 33,000 miles on it.

Old 05-18-2017, 09:49 PM
Moonroof noise

Originally Posted by LariatBill
I have a 2015 f150 Lariat supercrew with the same sun roof noise problem. It sounds like something is loose but if you push up around the edges when it is closed and put the palm of your hand on it from the inside with just a little pressure and move your hand around a little you get the noise. I think it is the body of the truck flexing from imperfections in the road causing the sun roof frame to move around the body opening of the sunroof. You can hear mine a lot more when going 25 mph or less. Every imperfection in the road and the truck body flexes more than the sun roof glass and frame causing a rattleing noise. I took the service manager at Feyer Ford of Edenton N.C. On a test drive for him to hear it and he and I heard it without any problem. They took my truck in ok May 17 2017 at 8 am and called me later in the afternoon that day and told me Ford has a TSB on this issue and they did not have the stuff on hand to perform the TSB and had to order the stuff (which consist of alcohol and grease). They still have my truck today May 18 2017 and it is 4:15 pm and I have not heard from them yet. I will let you know the outcome when I find out anything. My truck has 33,000 miles on it.
Moo

Old 05-18-2017, 09:51 PM
Originally Posted by LariatBill
The procedure for the service bulletin only works temporarily. The only cure is to have the frame for the Moonroof replaced. Better do it while the truck is still under warranty.

Old 05-19-2017, 11:05 AM
Ford TSB 16-0020

2015 Ford F-150 Lariat Supercrew sunroof noise 33,000 miles. Ford TSB 16-0020. Got a call today (day number 3) 19 May 2017 at 9 am from the service manager at Feyer Ford Edenton,NC telling me material they ordered to perform the TSB on the sunroof has not come in yet. I am at their mercy now so all I can do is wait. I am sure all the Ford dealers across America and Canada are having the same sunroof issue and materials needed to perform the TSB are back ordered due to high demad. I hear this problem exist on all 2015 and 2016 f 150 trucks with the panoramic moon roofs.

Last edited by LariatBill; 05-19-2017 at 11:08 AM.
Old 05-23-2017, 04:54 PM
Ford TSB 16-0020 Panoramic moonroof rattle noise. My 2015 Ford F-150 Lariat supercrew, 33,000 miles. Feyer Ford of Edenton N.C had my truck for 6 days and were unable to get the stuff (alcohol and grease) to perform the TSB. Unlucky me the stuff came in on day 6(23 may 2017. Unlucky me it rained all day 23 May 2017 and the service manager said he could not perform the TSB on the sunroof because the seals and gasket were wet and wanted to do it when they are dry. My truck sat outside their dealership while waiting for the alcohol and grease to show up. Unlucky me I had to pick my truck up without having the TSB done on May 23 2017 because I am leaving to go out of town 24 May 2017 and will be gone for a week. So now I have a new appointment for 2 June 2017 to get the sunroof TSB done. This is provided they do not loose or misplace the alcohol and grease it took them 6 days to get. I will update you with further info when I get it.

Old 05-25-2017, 12:13 PM
My 2015 F150 XLT went in today for the 4th time to try and repair the noisy sunroof.
First they cleaned it with alcohol and regreased it. Noise came back after about a month
Truck goes back in, they regrease it and said it was out of adjustment and adjusted the sunroof.
Everything is going good for almost two months and I think its about time it got fixed, wrong, noise is back and by now I'm nearing the end of the bumper to bumper warranty.

Frustrated I take it back in, they hear the noise and decide, ok we'll replace the front glass.
Pick it up, hear no noise. Drove it around for a week or so, by now my bumper to bumper warranty has expired due to mileage and the noise comes back.

Called up Ford and explained the issue and service advisor couldn't believe it, said we replaced the front glass and we for sure thought that was the issue. I said well its obviously still making the noise.
They couldn't get me in right away and had to wait about 2 weeks to bring it in.
While driving around for those 2 weeks before taking it in today, what I noticed is I couldn't hear the noise right in the morning, but after the truck sat out in the sun most of the day is when the noise would start.

When I dropped it off this morning, I let them know thats what I've been noticing and see if they could replicate the issue.
Fingers crossed it finally gets resolved as I am tired of constantly taking in my truck for this issue.

Old 06-02-2017, 09:04 AM
Ford TSB 16-0020 sunroof rattleing

2015 Ford F 150 Lariat Supercrew 35000 miles. I am back from my out of town trip an just dropped off my truck at Feyer Ford at 8:00 am today 2 June 2017 for them to perform TSB 16-0020 on the panoramic sunroof. I put 1700 miles on this truck during my trip. I hope I am one of the lucky ones to where the TSB fixes the sunroof rattleing noise problem but I have my doubts due to all the comments I have read about this problem. I will let you know the results when I get the truck back.

Old 06-02-2017, 05:44 PM
Ford TSB 16-0020 Sunroof rattleing noise

2015 Ford F 150 Lariat Supercrew 35600 miles. Got my truck back at 4:30 pm today 2 June 2017. Feyer Ford performed TSB 16-0200 on my panoramic sun roof. I am happy to say that the noise is completly gone now. Only time will tell. I will let you know if and when the noise comes back.

Old 08-29-2017, 02:55 PM
Bumping this topic back up the list. I have had the TSB performed 3 times and performed it twice on my own and its a very temporary band aide at best. This week I dropped off my truck for the 4th time. Both the front pane and back pane rattles and creaks. This time Ford told them to replace the glass and gaskets. I am a bit skeptical that this will do anything as a long term fix and my warranty is just about up.

I am also wondering if this was just a 2015 problem? Do the 2016/17s have this issue? I guess the correct long term thing is never to buy another panoramic moon roof in a truck.

Anyone have success with a long term fix?

Old 09-04-2017, 07:33 AM
Originally Posted by northlander
Bumping this topic back up the list. I have had the TSB performed 3 times and performed it twice on my own and its a very temporary band aide at best. This week I dropped off my truck for the 4th time. Both the front pane and back pane rattles and creaks. This time Ford told them to replace the glass and gaskets. I am a bit skeptical that this will do anything as a long term fix and my warranty is just about up.

I am also wondering if this was just a 2015 problem? Do the 2016/17s have this issue? I guess the correct long term thing is never to buy another panoramic moon roof in a truck.

Anyone have success with a long term fix?
I had the TSB for the sunroof noise done at 35000 miles. I currently have 43000 miles and have not had a single noise issue with the sunroof. I hope it remains that way.

Old 11-18-2017, 11:58 PM
Solution to moonroof rattles

I have a 2016 F150 and the moonroof sounded like it was loose. The noise was extremely annoying. I especially noticed it at slow speeds over uneven pavement. Someone told me the way to fix it is to get a can of white lithium grease, spray it on a rag and wipe the seals on the edge of the glass as well as inside the channels where the moon roof slides back and forth. I also sprayed some on the outside seals toward the back of the roof, using my finger to force it down into the small gaps. To my surprise the noise is completely gone. I bought a can at Home Depot. Give it a try, it works!

Old 12-24-2017, 04:19 PM
I have a 2016 Screw, 44,000 miles and has the twin panel moonroof and the smallest of bumps would make the slightest and most annoying noise, like a clicking/creeking noise. Only cracking the roof would make it go away. Anyways, I think I found a fix, well at least for mine. It will take a T25 hex head drive bit and about 5 minutes of your time.

I noticed standing on the running boards that the passenger side roof was not level with the back glass. It was slightly above the rear glass. I tried the grease trick, made it quieter but not gone. There are three screws that hold the glass onto its mechanism on each side behind the rubber dust shield that slides into the glass. I loosened the back screw on the glass mount, closest to the rear glass on the passenger side and the roof moved ever so slightly down (I did this all with the roof cracked/tilted). So I tightened that up, closed the roof and checked it out. It solved my leveling problem so let's take a test drive and see if the noise vanished. My roof always made noise leaving my driveway. This time after adjust that one screw, NOTHING!!!!! I may go back and loctite that sucker in there so it holds but I have been reading and reading that so many people are having an issue with this. Just hope this helps other who's warranty have expired like mine. Good luck!

Old 01-25-2018, 07:56 PM
I'm in the same boat. My truck has been to the dealership 4 times for this issue. They just keep doing the TSB and my truck is in for 2 weeks each time. You would think that since the TSB doesn't solve the problem long term they would start doing something else? Also has anybody had to pay for their loaner while in service? Mine's under original warranty and I was told I had to pay for my Enterprise loaner even after I had an appointment 3 weeks in advance.

Quick Reply: Sunroof Noise