2015 - 2020 F-150

Would you buy again?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 01:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BTW, what was wrong with the Ram?

My sister is looking to buy a 2017 5500 series to pull her large horse trailer. Knowing that this is no way the same truck, just wondering what type of things that Ram is letting slide through quality control.

Thanks

Old 06-27-2017, 02:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My next truck I am fairly certain will be a Super Duty with a Powerstroke. My '05 150
will be kept as a playtoy though.

Old 06-27-2017, 10:15 PM
RWW
Originally Posted by Mike Up

My sister is looking to buy a 2017 5500 series to pull her large horse trailer. Knowing that this is no way the same truck, just wondering what type of things that Ram is letting slide through quality control.

Thanks
The truck battery would just suddenly be dead. 1st time I thought something didn't shut off. The 2nd time I had it towed in and they told me the battery had died, but tested good. The 3rd time they kept it 28 days straight, ended up replacing the wiring harness. Now it has all kinds of gremlins, the parking sensors flash on and off on the dash, the 1 touch window will go down halfway and change direction, the headlights flash when hitting a ripple in the road, the cruise control doesn't always work, I can go on and on, all electrical issues with mine. FCA/Ram made me an offer to repurchase the truck from me, reimburse the payments made and interest up to date. I accepted the offer, the dang thing is possessed. The worst issue is that sometimes you will turn the dial to put it in park and it doesn't always engage. (Unsafe).

Old 06-28-2017, 01:55 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RWW
The truck battery would just suddenly be dead. 1st time I thought something didn't shut off. The 2nd time I had it towed in and they told me the battery had died, but tested good. The 3rd time they kept it 28 days straight, ended up replacing the wiring harness. Now it has all kinds of gremlins, the parking sensors flash on and off on the dash, the 1 touch window will go down halfway and change direction, the headlights flash when hitting a ripple in the road, the cruise control doesn't always work, I can go on and on, all electrical issues with mine. FCA/Ram made me an offer to repurchase the truck from me, reimburse the payments made and interest up to date. I accepted the offer, the dang thing is possessed. The worst issue is that sometimes you will turn the dial to put it in park and it doesn't always engage. (Unsafe).
Wow, I wouldn't want it either. Pretty nice that Dodge offered you the buy back. I will say, in '95 when I had a troublesome Plymouth Duster, they stepped up and bought mine back as well without going to court. But my buyback wasn't as sweet and they issued me a check that could only be used on another chyrsler vehicle.

Ford makes you take them to court. Even then, Indiana law prorates your value on a vehicle based on a lifespan of only 100,000 miles which is garbage. My 2010 F150 had some chassis issues that I refused to keep it. Control arms broke for no reason along with transmission continuing problems. Ford gave me a free extended warranty but I didn't want the truck anymore for fear of failure again with the family in the truck. I had 35,000 miles so my buy back according to Indiana Lemon Law would be 35% less of what I paid. Hek, trading in the truck netting me more, so I just went that route.

Your buy back was as sweet as it gets.

Old 06-28-2017, 11:56 AM
Yeah I had the issues with Ford. Extend the warranty.

I missed around a week of work taking this 2015 in over and over trying to be helpful. End result is probably a simple issue but Ford won't pay the dealer to do a bunch of diagnosis work apparently.

It was quite the pain in the ***. I shouldn't have to raise my voice at anyone anytime.. boneheads

I would want a new super duty next when my current F250 and F150 start needing replacement, would help with parking. But I may get back into another import and cheapie 3/4 ton work truck.

Old 06-28-2017, 12:07 PM
The truck is ok... but Ford is a pain in the ***. I can't believe they couldn't fix a simple issue without burning down a bunch of my time and being a general pain in the ***.

Nice trucks, just hope you get a good one that never needs a know repair under warranty.

Old 06-28-2017, 09:14 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike Up

Thanks
My dad drives a 2012 Ram 2500 with the Cummins diesel. The engine is an absolute monster. Fast, strong, and surprisingly fuel efficient. The truck built around it, however, is another story. Before I elaborate, I must say that I actually really like the Rams. I think they look sharp and they'll get the job done. But I would be hesitant to buy one after seeing the way my dad's has handled the first 70k miles of its life. The interior seems to be complete garbage. It looks nice and has a user friendly layout, but it's falling apart left and right. Switches break, hinges creak, and pretty much any panel or switch that can fall off has fallen off. The interior is a complete disaster, and other than towing his boat, he just drives it back and forth to work. It's not even driven that hard. I guess the interior materials are just cheap. Maybe that's why the Rams are so affordable (which is another thing I like about them).

So basically I wouldn't be scared to put the Ram to work, but I might be scared to open the door

Old 06-29-2017, 04:31 PM
My wife wants a Ram, when we can afford to get her a vehicle. She may accept a Ford, if I find one for a great deal, that has all the things she wants.

Old 07-07-2017, 08:29 PM
I would/did buy several new F-150`s. My current one is a `17 XLT SCAB 4x4 5.0. My advice would be to just buy the truck you like best & not because what is under the hood. They are all great engines

Old 07-07-2017, 11:15 PM
Buy Again ? Yes with caveats

I just traded my 2009 F150 Scab FX4 5.4L-6 for a 2017 F150 Scab XLT-Sport 2.7TT-6.

The 2017 is a very nice truck, but I honestly believe having owned ford trucks since 1992 that the 2009-2014 models were the best built Ford Truck models, ever.

The 2015+ models have a lot of nice high tech features, and I appreciate the extra gas mileage and safety ratings, but the truck just feels like they cut every corner they could find Everything is thinner, smaller, and flimsier. Buttons, switches, seat backs, hinges, everything is thinner and smaller. They even made the bed 1" less deep. Yes...it all matters. Its a truck. It is supposed to be more durable than a car, yet they now use many of the same components.

Since I cannot but a new 2009-2014 model, I will have to take what Ford is now selling now, hold my nose, and like it , because they are still the best trucks on the market. However, I do believe the current F150 design is a step backwards in many regards from their previous model.

I am sure many people will disagree, but I have read similar posts, even on this tread where others are in agreement with me.

So YES...I would buy it again.