2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Engine Stalls At Idle

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2020, 05:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Engine Stalls At Idle

I have an 09 f-150 4.6 xl . It stalls quite often and if I don’t keep 1,000 rpm going it will stall. I have had it stall a few times while turning and that gets scary! I had the same lean codes thrown with my cheap scanner, took it to my local mechanic guy and his more expensive scanner said “Intake runner stuck closed”. The control module and the runner rods apparently need changed. Gonna run about $600, when he can get to it. Anyone else have an opinion on this? The control module has a gate in it that can get stuck, module alone costs $300.

Last edited by Dave Olson; 08-01-2020 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old 08-01-2020, 10:37 PM
Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
Something is being missed here.
The description you gave is the intake runner control system.
The plates are normally closed at idle and low rpm.
They don't open until about 2800 to 3000 rpm, therefore would not cause stalling even if stuck closed.
You would be down on higher RPM torque when they don't open.
My opinion is you have something else also going on that is causing the stalling.
Better have another consultation about it.
If one wants to check this out, look in the OBDII Ford Doc for year 2009, page 149 for gas motors. the Doc index says page 129 but is an error.
Good luck.

Old 08-11-2020, 01:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bluegrass, Thanks for the input. So I guess the mechanic just wanted my $ since the intake runner control system doesn’t open till higher RPM.

I cleaned out the MAF with some good MAF specific cleaner, and I replaced the throttle body just in case the TPS was bad, then reset the computer because of the swap. Whoever had it before me also siliconed the PCV into the intake tube, so I’m going to replace that today. I just went down to Atlanta (2hours to my south) and it didn’t stall once. And just for good measure I threw in a can of Sea Foam on my last fill up.

Thanks again,

Dave Olson

Last edited by Dave Olson; 08-11-2020 at 01:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Engine Stalls At Idle