2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

transmission action thru rear defrost button on dash

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 08:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
transmission action thru rear defrost button on dash

Hello - New to the forum! - I have a 2014 Lariat 56,000k - I recently had an issue with the sliding rear window defrost not working - Button on dash would not light and defrost did not work - After playing with the button a few times I noticed the 1-6 gear selector lights went out - I dropped out 6th gear to 5th and messed with button some more and actually saw it shift to 6th - Dealer said that replacing the whole back glass would fix all of the above problems - Well the defrost is now working and the button lights up but it still plays tricks on the 1-6 gear selector lights - Also today I actually made it downshift to 4th from 5th - Downshifts would worry me more than upshifts - I talked to a fellow that had a 2013 that would downshift to 1st gear - Will definitely being going back to the dealer but was wondering if anyone has had the same problem and how it was solved - Thanks

Old 03-09-2019, 07:29 AM
I own a 2013 FX4, and I've seen a few articles about a "recall" for transmissions downshifting unexpectedly, but I haven't received a notice yet. The defrost button being the culprit is a new one on me, however I couldn't rule it out. Beware of dealer service guidance, if you have a local hot rod shop around, it might be worth a 2nd opinion.

Old 03-09-2019, 10:17 AM
Thanks Doug - The fellow I talked to said he could press any button within the quadrant of that rear defrost button and it could possibly downshift - Kinda scary - I would think there would be a module of sort behind the panel that at least could be replaced - Problem is getting it to do it in front of the dealer - Bill

Old 03-09-2019, 10:45 AM
Bill - Come to think of it, I had a power module go belly up within that same cluster. Mine was repaired under the 36,000 mile warranty, but what I remember was, my transmission would shift into 6th gear at very low speeds. (10-20 MPH) After the repair, that gremlin went away, but I agree, that downshift scenario is very scary!

Old 03-09-2019, 01:52 PM
Originally Posted by DougWhite
Bill - Come to think of it, I had a power module go belly up within that same cluster. Mine was repaired under the 36,000 mile warranty, but what I remember was, my transmission would shift into 6th gear at very low speeds. (10-20 MPH) After the repair, that gremlin went away, but I agree, that downshift scenario is very scary!
Ok Doug maybe that's all it will take to fix mine - Thanks Bill

Quick Reply: transmission action thru rear defrost button on dash