Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Steering Column Electrical Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2018, 11:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering Column Electrical Problems

Hi Everybody
I had an odd thing happen this morning. My 2011 F150 wouldn't shift out of 1st for a while. I drove it maybe 300 meters then pulled on a side street. It would go into R OK but not shift into forward gears other than 1st. Plus when I turned the signal lights on they wouldn't automatically click off even when I went around a corner. I occasionally lose the the numbered transmission indicator lights and pressing the + button doesn't bring them back. They just come on later. I shut the truck off and restarted it and it still did the same thing. I started driving over to my mechanics a few blocks away and it started shifting but it would start in 5th. By the time I got to my mechanics it was running fine. They did a quick check on the transmission and took it for a drive and nothing so I continued on my way. Later in the day I stopped for gas and almost couldn't get the key out. I really had to crank the steering wheel to get slack to get the key out even though the wheels were almost straight. I turned it off a couple of more times at stops on the way home. The key always came out fine but the steering wheel doesn't lock anymore. All this leads me to believe there is something going on in the steering column. Turn signals, shifter, key stuck, steering wheel not locking all at different points in the day. I'm going to take the shroud off tomorrow and see if I see anything obviously wrong but I wondered if anybody had any suggestions.
Thanks

Old 10-27-2018, 08:33 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Check your fuse boxes for water intrusion.

Old 10-28-2018, 12:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks, that's a really good idea. I pulled the shroud off the column but I didn't see anything obviously wrong. I really wouldn't know what to look for anyway, but sometimes problems are obvious. Is the steering wheel lock mechanism electric? That seems to be the only thing really malfunctioning at the moment. The steering wheel won't lock after I take out the key.

Quick Reply: Steering Column Electrical Problems