2009 - 2014 F-150

Greetings from Alaska and advise sought

Old 07-14-2018, 02:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greetings from Alaska and advise sought

I've been lurking around here for a while and figured it was about time to introduce myself and my truck. As the title implies, I live in Alaska (Anchorage to be precise) and currently drive a 2010 F150 SCrew XLT with the 3v 4.6L and 4wd. It just turned over 80k and, apart from a largish dent/scrape on the rear passenger door and c-pillar from my husband misjudging the turning radius the first time he parked it in our garage, its in fantastic shape. We keep the maintenance up to date, regularly powerwash the whole underside to keep the rust and corrosion at bay, and generally try not to abuse it. I became the primary driver last year when we bought my husband a new Subaru and sold my '97 XJ since it was getting close to 200k and developing more and more "character" as I like to say.

Anyway, I have a history* of feeling the need to improve any vehicle I drive and the current truck is no exception. So far I've added a factory trailer brake controller and 7-pin wiring harness, receiver hitch, and aftermarket stereo head unit. Next item on the list is new shocks/struts. I'm thinking Bilstein 5100s with the fronts set to the first notch from the bottom (1.5ish" level/lift). Granted, this truck will probably spend less than 1% of its life off road, our roads up here can be pretty rough with all the frost heaves, potholes, and cracks and that's just the summer. I feel like the Bilsteins will give me as good or better ride than the factory shocks that are still in place without being crazy expensive and almost certainly overkill like Fox or Kings. Thoughts? Also, would aftermarket upper control arms have a noticeable benefit for what we use the truck for? I'm also open to suggestions for future upgrades (HID/projector headlights, aftermarket leaf springs, on-board air, etc.).

I'm planning on a mini-road trip later today and will try to get some beauty shots.

*My first car was a '73 Super Beetle that I completely rebuilt and painted, second was a '92 F150 that I converted to 4wd (yes, you read that correctly) and proceeded to drive 170k miles including up and down the Alaska Highway twice, fourth was the '97 XJ that I lifted 5" on long-arms and Deaver springs and built a rear bumper/tire carrier for that also drove the Alaska Highway twice

Last edited by tom11919; 07-14-2018 at 02:48 PM.
Old 07-14-2018, 05:54 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Welcome!

Old 07-15-2018, 01:41 AM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
You're at the mileage and time that you may need to replace the front springs. If it sits with the front end down, you're probably riding on the bottom of the springs. Mine lasted about 100,000 hiway miles and frankly, never noticed the front end lower than the rear. I had the front springs, struts and strut mounts replaced using Monroe Lifetime units. The truck sat level and rode like a completely different truck. Might have a front end shop take a look so you have a clue if those parts need replacing or not. I spent right at $1,000. in Texas. I'm sure it costs more in Alaska.

FWIW, the shop I used told me that since the struts were the real wearable item and they were covered for life, to bring it back to him every 2 years and he'd put new ones on it at Monroes expense. I ended up trading into a new truck. Don't know if that was real or BS.

Old 07-15-2018, 09:47 AM

Yes, struts are a consumable item.

Typically it is wise replace struts every 50k to 80k miles. The whole strut mount and spring assembly every other time. If you just replace the struts.

That is why I like Monroe's quick struts. I just replace them every 50-80k. This way you get a whole new shabang every time.

Old 07-20-2018, 12:19 PM
I found this kit while browsing for shocks and struts.
https://camburg.com/shop/suspension/...try-level-kit/

For what I"m going to use the truck for, would the uniball upper arms make that much of a difference? Also, here's a pic of my truck with a full tank of gas and about 100 lbs worth of toolbox. I haven't actually measured the center axle to fender distance, but it doesn't look like its sagging much if any in the front.

Old 07-22-2018, 11:01 AM

I think it looks fine. Looks like a nice truck for being up north.

Old 07-24-2018, 02:02 PM
I leveled my 2014 Screw 4x4 with the Rancho spring kit. If I had to do it over again I would use the Bilstein leveling kit. Either way, get the leveling kit that includes the springs and the whole enchilada. Easy to install, and it doesn't much up your drive angles.

Old 07-31-2018, 01:11 PM
I decided to go with the 5100s with the fronts set to the 1.75" setting/second from the top groove. The rears went on yesterday but I'm taking the truck in to a shop for the fronts so they can just go ahead and do an alignment and because I don't have time between now and the weekend when we're going for a short road trip. I may or may not get a set of upper control arms at some point depending on how the truck rides and if anything starts hitting anything else as the front suspension cycles.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Greetings from Alaska and advise sought