2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2009 F150 FX4 with 5.4L Random Rough Idle

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 01:45 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
5* is one of many tuning shops that sell programmers and custom tunes. No matter who you use, it's going to be at least $400 for something with any kind of quality.

Can I make a suggestion that you may not want to hear? Trade the truck in on something that doesn't have a 5.4 3 valve. You probably are looking at spending $2500 to fix yours. That price is about right for overhauling the VVT system and timing components. It also probably needs an oil pump and may have cam and sludge issues. You aren't going to get a 5.4 3 valve swap for $2500 without taking a used engine with more miles on it than yours and possibly worse issues.

Old 08-22-2018, 11:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wanted to thank everyone here who responded.
Since the truck was not my primary vehicle so I decided to parked it until I fix it. I Kept searching for the issue. Found a lockout kit that is sold here locally in Detroit MI.
plug the new tune and tuned the truck for phaser lockout kit.
I had to take the valve off, stick the Wedge tool to keep timing chain in place, remove the phaser. and put the lockout in the hole to lock the phaser in one place.
Put everything back in place and now it does not give me any problems.

It cost me $700 for the lockout kit and tune. https://www.livernoismotorsports.com/product/LPP823113

I bought it from Livernois Motors Sports.

Entire job took me less than 3 hours to finish.

Quick tip: if you decide to do it, when I took the phaser off from driver side it was on tension and the cam actually turned may be like 20 degrees. since I had the wedge in place to keep the chain in place so noting else moved except the driver side cam. I put the think paper towel and used vise grip to turn it back to its position so I was able to put the phaser back on the cam.

Please click the link below to watch the installation video.

Guys it is very easy to fix it. My first time was kind of scary but since I have done it now can say that you can't mess it up as long as you have your wedge in place tightly (Just make sure that wedge is snugged in very good.)

Hope it helps you guys who are victim of poor Ford engineering.

Thanks glc for the advise now I think I can sell it without any regrets, I just didn't want to sell with rough idle problem.

Quick Reply: 2009 F150 FX4 with 5.4L Random Rough Idle