2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2010 F150 fuel and transmission issues at the same time?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2017, 04:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 F150 fuel and transmission issues at the same time?

Hi everyone. This is going to be a bit long and although searches through previous threads have helped narrow this down, the garage hasn't been able to fix my truck yet.

I have a 2010 Supercab with 121K miles and the 5.4L 3V engine. I'm having what appears to be the all too common stalling while stopping issue.

On July 14, I stopped to get gas (never let it get below a quarter tank and never top off). No indication of any issues before this but I went to start it and wanted to turn over but wouldn't fire. Finally got it started and it smelled rich. Brought it to the garage but they were too busy. Decided to run it and drove an hour to and from work with no issues.

Following Monday it stalled on my way to work as I stopped at a stop light. Got it fired back up and it drove okay. That night I took the air intake off and cleaned the MAF an throttle body.

Next day day I got to work before it stalled on me. Had trouble starting again and as I got to the parking lot the CE light came on. Had my daughter with me and left the truck running so I could listen to it as I waited for my wife. The CE light cycled off. Brought it to the shop there in town and they cleaned the throttle body and recommended a tune up (eventually found out truck had a tune up between 90-100K. I bought it with 103K in March 2016) Truck stalled on the way home.

Next day it stalled as I got to work again. That night it ran real rough on the way home and stalled at another light. Took longer to get it fired up but I brought it home.

Took on it to the shop the next day and it stalled and finally had the CE light again. Came back as O2 sensors lien so they recommended replacing them and were fairly confident that was the issue. Of course it wasn't but that was a fun bill to pay. from there it was about 3 1/2 weeks of "we can't get it to mess up" but every time I picked it up I couldn't get a mile down the road without it stalling and just not running right.

Mechanic was was able to get it to have a starting issue once and changed the throttle body. Wouldn't you believe it, I picked it up and drove the 3 minutes to my house only to have it stall as I pulled into the driveway.

Other issues ive noticed: one time while driving to the shop, the fuel gauge dropped almost a wuarter of a tank. It's only a few miles through town.

There re is a loud clunking as it is put into each gear

there is a stutter as I am slowing down (that's been there since I bought it. Feels like it's in the back)

since ive had the stalking issue there has also been a sound closer to the front of the truck as I'm letting off the gas even at 55mph.

Garage said they have checked fuel pressure, checked the cap purge valve and canister for raw fuel

truck CE also had an issue with the fuel readout saying 0 miles to empty even though the mechanic had put some fuel in it.

thats all all I can think of at this point. Any help or direction to the most helpful thread is appreciated. Probably gonna have to get it towed to Ford since I won't make it there by driving.

Old 09-04-2017, 05:15 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Take it to Ford. Any mechanic who changes O2 sensors for lean codes doesn't know what they are doing. You have a fuel issue and I wouldn't be surprised if it's a bad FPDM.

Old 09-04-2017, 07:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
Take it to Ford. Any mechanic who changes O2 sensors for lean codes doesn't know what they are doing. You have a fuel issue and I wouldn't be surprised if it's a bad FPDM.
I've thought about that being issue. Although I was assured that it's a rare problem where I live in NC. Was told that it's more common in the north and for people who live near or at the beach. Thank you for the response. Looking forward to others as well. I will def Nite Lynne getting it to Ford asap.