2009 - 2014 F-150

Rotor question

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 09:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rotor question

This is my first question for the forum. Coming up on time to replacing brakes on my '13 F150 4x4. 57000 miles on them now and have turned the rotors once since I've had the truck. Bought used in 2015. I use the truck as my daily driver and also to pull my camper. I have to drive up and down a mountain to work. The question I have is, what are your thoughts on going to slotted rotors as the replacements? I've read pros and cons, but never heard from actual experience. Thanks

Old 12-03-2016, 11:01 PM
glc
Received 757 Likes on 702 Posts
I've had better luck with premium solid rotors.

Old 12-04-2016, 12:05 AM
Solid rotors are good, drilled crack at the holes.

Old 12-04-2016, 10:00 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have the Power Stop rotors on my truck. With probably 60-65k on them and no cracks or problems. The cheap drilled rotors can crack but if the hole has a chamfer to it most cracking issues go away. The pads make a big difference too. The stock pads suck, the EBC pads stop much better.

Old 12-04-2016, 08:20 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Mountain driving with an occasional trailer I'd be wanting ceramic pads and slotted rotors. Brake action turns rotational forces and turns it to heat. Ceramic pads pushes all of the heat into the rotor. That's why you don't run ceramic pads on standard rotors and expect them not to warp. They will warp. Slotted rotors and ceramic pads were made for your application. While you don't need to break the bank buying parts, I wouldn't go cheap. Most rotors these days including the name brand ones are a "Made in China take yer chances" rotor. Do the research on where they are MADE and the warranty.

Old 12-04-2016, 08:36 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Most EBC rotors are cast in the UK, otherwise it's hard to find many that aren't from China. A lot of the higher quality ones will have the rotor cast in China and finish machining done in the USA or Europe.

I don't know where the Power Stops are made but they have stopped me and a heavy load lots of times without issue. I've made several trips through the Rockies pulling a camper and in the Ozarks with car haulers and they still run true.

Old 12-05-2016, 12:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 01 had Powerstop slotted rotors on it for about 125000 miles until they cracked. I replaced Stoptech slotteds and they have been great over the first 25000 miles or so. I would not hesitate to recommend either. I have had really good luck with Wagner Thermoquiet pads, on my 01, and wife's and daughter's cars.
I did a lot of research on the towing forums deciding on rotors for the front of my 10 Epd EL. most of the diesel guys are running the Stoptech slotted Cryogentically treated, so that is what I bought. I bought a set of Wagner's new OEX pads to go with them. I will be installing these along with my quicklifts the first reasonably warm day we get.

All that being said, my father had the factory rotors on his Explorer replaced and turned about every 15/20 K miles. I finally put a set of Brembo OE replacement rotors on it and and they lasted about 175000 miles. I put Brembos on my both my daughter's Hondas , Element and Accord, with great results.

Last edited by Glen R; 12-05-2016 at 05:12 PM.
Old 12-05-2016, 02:39 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I've been running the Powerstop Drilled and Slotted rotors for about 35k miles. They have lasted longer than my original ford rotors did so i am happy with em.

Old 12-05-2016, 02:54 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Glen R
All that being said, my father had the factory rotors on his Explorer replaced and turned about every 15/20 K miles. I finally put a set of Brembo OE replacement rotors on it and and they lasted about 175000 miles. I put Brembos on my both my daughters Hondas , Element and Accord with great results.
X2 on the Brembo OE replacements. I've put them on several vehicles and had zero issues with them. Unless you're really working your brakes hard (towing, racing, etc.), I see very little reason to spend the big bucks on drilled / slotted rotors. And as others have said, they come with their own set of problems - especially if you buy cheap ones.

I'll also put a big plug in for the Wagner ThermoQuiet pads. I have yet to have a problem with them in the multiple vehicles I've changed over to them from worn out factory pads.

Old 12-21-2016, 10:43 PM
My OEMs warped quickly towing my bassboat (21') and I upgraded to PowerStop drilled and slotted the extreme towing ones and they lasted about 75-80k, just replaced all 4 again with the same..good to go!

Old 12-22-2016, 01:05 AM
Originally Posted by Labnerd
Mountain driving with an occasional trailer I'd be wanting ceramic pads and slotted rotors. Brake action turns rotational forces and turns it to heat. Ceramic pads pushes all of the heat into the rotor. That's why you don't run ceramic pads on standard rotors and expect them not to warp. They will warp. Slotted rotors and ceramic pads were made for your application. While you don't need to break the bank buying parts, I wouldn't go cheap. Most rotors these days including the name brand ones are a "Made in China take yer chances" rotor. Do the research on where they are MADE and the warranty.
Most manufacturers install ceramic pads on standard rotors at the factory. 69000 on my 370z no problem. Father has 125000 on his 350, no warping (professional truck driver, more downshifting and planning ahead rather than braking) plus my Tacoma had ceramics that didn't warp. All vehicles had regular own style rotor. Ceramic pads may do a better job reflecting heat but the 2 biggest reasons they have been pushed into the market is quieter and less brake dust. Me myself I'm a huge fan of the semi metallic pads, Raybestos in particular....but good thing EBC is their 2nd or sub name.

warping comes from abusive driving. Parking the brakes scalding hot.

Old 12-22-2016, 01:07 AM
My 01 had Powerstop slotted rotors on it for about 125000 miles until they cracked. I replaced Stoptech slotteds and they have been great over the first 25000 miles or so. I would not hesitate to recommend either. I have had really good luck with Wagner Thermoquiet pads, on my 01, and wife's and daughter's cars.
I did a lot of research on the towing forums deciding on rotors for the front of my 10 Epd EL. most of the diesel guys are running the Stoptech slotted Cryogentically treated, so that is what I bought. I bought a set of Wagner's new OEX pads to go with them. I will be installing these along with my quicklifts the first reasonably warm day we get.

All that being said, my father had the factory rotors on his Explorer replaced and turned about every 15/20 K miles. I finally put a set of Brembo OE replacement rotors on it and and they lasted about 175000 miles. I put Brembos on my both my daughter's Hondas , Element and Accord, with great results.
Hey bud I've never heard of brembo oe replacement. Do you think you could do me a solid and hook me up with a link?

Old 12-22-2016, 06:34 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RSTHD150
Hey bud I've never heard of brembo oe replacement. Do you think you could do me a solid and hook me up with a link?
Not seeing them for the trucks, but here is the ones I am talking about. Actually put these on my daughters Element. They don't list the ones for the Explorer anymore.

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...utoModClar=4wd

Old 12-22-2016, 10:14 AM
Not seeing them for the trucks, but here is the ones I am talking about. Actually put these on my daughters Element. They don't list the ones for the Explorer anymore.

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...utoModClar=4wd

Thanks bud, I appreciate it!