2009 - 2014 F-150

Traction control issues

Old 08-31-2016, 06:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Traction control issues

Thought id throw this problem out here on this forum first before taking into the dealer.

Intermittently I have the following issues while driving on dry pavement with full traction. I have a 2010 F150 XLT XTR 4.6 liter.

-traction control (vehicle with skid marks icon) light will come on on dash and a audio alert will sound
-stereo and heater/ac will turn off
-when signaling the signal lights on dash will not illuminate however signals still work on outside of vehicle

This has happened three times before today over past 4 months. In the past the TC light will go away and stereo and heater will come back on after a short period of time.

Today same thing happened but stayed that way for my 40km drive.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Old 09-01-2016, 12:12 PM
I don't think its traction control related.

Sounds to me like you have a larger electrical issue and when it happens it is probably dropping power to the ESP system and the traction control light is warning you that it is disabled due to loss of power.

might be as simple as a bad battery causing low voltage????
could be bigger.

maybe see if the dealer can pull any codes.

Old 09-02-2016, 11:38 AM
Checking the battery voltage is the easiest place to start.

Have the battery and alternator load tested.

I had a 91 F250 that would turn on the rear antilock warning light for no reason.

The battery and alternator tested good, but after I installed my Ham Radio and got reports of alternator whine on my signal, I took another look at the alternator.
It turns out that the truck had the wrong alternator on it.

I decided to change it thinking that maybe itt had a bad diode, when I got it off, I found it was on a 60A alternator.
The truck had power windows and tow package and was a 7.5L 4X4. It should have had at least a 90A alternator.

Installed 90A alternator and the RABS and radio problems were gone.

Old 09-02-2016, 08:32 PM
Battery was replaced two months ago. I have got an appointment scheduled for next week to take it into ford service. I'll report back what they say. I'm hoping they won't spend 4 plus hours chasing an electrical problem that isn't apparent at the time.

Old 09-02-2016, 08:34 PM
However I guess a new battery doesn't necessarily mean a good battery. I'll check the battery before I bring it in.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Traction control issues