2009 - 2014 F-150

Wastegate flutter?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 10:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wastegate flutter?

I've been fighting with misfire issues (recently fixed, due to cracked plugs) and also what I can't seem to tell is either wastegates fluttering or BOV? I'm new to the turbo scene with my 2011 F150 Ecoboost...

What I hear is like this popping noise what seems to be coming from the driver side turbo at various moderate acceleration, being 1/4-1/2 throttle. When it happens my boost seems to drop 1-3 PSI, if I give more throttle I can still build boost and at WOT the noise seems to go away. I have a few aftermarket mods, like Airraid intake, 4" catback exhaust, and an Edge CTS Tuner.

The sound is more annoying then anything performance wise...if it's wastegate flutter, how hard are they to clean/replace?

Old 02-26-2016, 10:53 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I sometimes get the same thing. I had my truck at the stealership to have the APIM module replaced under the extended warranty so I had them look at it. They just told me I needed new plugs and boots because I still had the factory plugs in it. Of course they started crawfishing when I had them look up the multiple sets I have purchased from their parts department. After a long conversation with the manager he did provide me with a copy of a TSB for checking the wastegates. I can look for it later on tonight if you can't find it online. I haven't really had the time troubleshoot my truck yet.

Old 03-01-2016, 06:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah I already put 2 sets of plugs in myself as well. Havent changed the coil packs yet...but until I can prove 1 has failed I don't feel like buying 1...they aren't cheap!

Old 03-01-2016, 09:41 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
Motorcraft DG549 coils are $46.79 each at rockauto.com. For just the boots (recommended at each plug change) they have Motorcraft WR6135 for $1.93 each.

Plugs - SP528 double platinums are $4.06, SP534 iridiums are $7.19.

Old 03-02-2016, 10:54 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If I was to change the coil packs I would look for ones that throw a stronger spark.

I have less than 2000 miles on my plugs and brand new boots. It didn't really change much, I don't think this is the problem. I have considered unplugging the wastegate actuator valve to see if this changes anything. I'm leaning towards the diverter valves not working properly but I need to research their operation more to be sure. In other platforms they need to be changed when running a tune.

Quick Reply: Wastegate flutter?