2009 - 2014 F-150

4X4 does't wok. 12 V always at 4X4 solenoid's coil

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 12:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 4X4 does't wok. 12 V always at 4X4 solenoid's coil

Hi Folks! Based in the info of the excellent tread (http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/13...se-look-2.html I checked the wheels and driver side it's disengaged at 2H, passenger side it's alway engaged. Also found the 12V at the solenoid it's always present in 2H or 4H but in my innocenter show the warnings 2H or 4H check 4X4 then I asume the with it's working properly.

I conclude 1 have 2 problems.
1) Maybe a Vacum or fail actuator in the passenger wheel
2) The 4X4 command signal to the solenoid it's not working properly.

I need help to isolate the #2. Any idea?

TIA!

Art Garcia

Old 07-26-2015, 03:08 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If your truck has original IWE's, it's well past time to replace them. And since it sounds like one is shot anyway, replace them both.

Next, it sounds like your ESOF motor may have gone bad - which is fairly common. Sometimes you can wake a non-working motor up with a few "love taps" from a hammer, but if you cannot hear the motor shifting your Transfer Case when you turn the selector switch, this may be the culprit.

And while you're working on the system, I'd suggest replacing all of the Vacuum Lines and the Check Valves within the system - again because it's time.

Old 07-27-2015, 02:27 AM
A five year old truck and well past time to replace them?

Makes me glad I have manual hubs.

Old 07-27-2015, 06:47 AM
Originally Posted by Wild Bill
A five year old truck and well past time to replace them?

Makes me glad I have manual hubs.
2015 - 2004 = 11 years old.

Old 07-27-2015, 09:17 AM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
His sig says it's a 2010. He just hasn't changed his profile.

Old 07-27-2015, 01:39 PM
Originally Posted by glc
His sig says it's a 2010. He just hasn't changed his profile.
Oops, my bad. Thanks for the correction.

I will say however that the IWE's on my 2005 lasted only 4 years before both started to malfunction. The ESOF Motor lasted only 2 years before it died. The Solenoid was toast in just 1 year. The same parts in my 2010 lasted a bit longer, but the IWE's were still junk in 3 years / 54,000 miles.

The best think anyone can do with this relatively simple system to prevent problems is to shift the truck into - and back out of - 4 wheel drive at least once or twice a month year round.

Old 07-27-2015, 05:01 PM
Hi 2strokes! I'm sorry for not include truck specks in my post. I already added. My truck it's a 2010 with 118,000 miles. SOme times when I engage 4L the transfer switch to 4L but most of the times it simple no make the change.

This problem starts about 6 months ago. The same with the switch between 2H and 2L.

Do you think the problem it's the ESOF Motor?

Also I note the vacuum lines are very fragile, If I bent one of them during manipulation while disconnect the line from a T connector, the line brakes.

Old 07-27-2015, 05:23 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
Art, go into your User CP and change your vehicle info.

Old 07-28-2015, 07:49 PM
Originally Posted by artgarcia
Hi 2strokes! I'm sorry for not include truck specks in my post. I already added. My truck it's a 2010 with 118,000 miles. SOme times when I engage 4L the transfer switch to 4L but most of the times it simple no make the change.

This problem starts about 6 months ago. The same with the switch between 2H and 2L.

Do you think the problem it's the ESOF Motor?

Also I note the vacuum lines are very fragile, If I bent one of them during manipulation while disconnect the line from a T connector, the line brakes.
As I mentioned earlier, the ESOF motor is known to go bad - especially if it's exposed to salt or lots of moisture. You should be able to tell if it's working by listening to it as somebody moves the ESOF Selector Switch from above.

You mentioned that you're having trouble going from 2H to 2L. (I'm assuming you meant 4L.) Did you know that you need to put the truck in Neutral any time you shift into or out of Low Range? If you're not doing that, it could be your problem.

As for you vacuum lines being crispy / fragile, I'd replace all of them. The system works on vacuum and if you have cracked lines, you'll lose vacuum and nothing will work right.

Old 08-13-2016, 06:52 PM
Let's upgrade the info in this post.

Ok, I still without fix the 4X4. My truck it's a f150 2010 FX4

I already check:
  • I already replaced all the vacuum lines (where very toasted).
  • IWE motors are working fine if I disconnect the vacuum hoses. Those engage/disengage the front wheels shaft.
  • The IWE solenoid fuse it's fine
  • 12V at IWE solenoid it's present at Grey/Red cable.
  • NO GND signal present at IWE Solenoid at Brown/Blue cable <<< I don't know why.
  • I asume the 4WD selector it's working because if I turn the **** to every 2H 4H 4L I can see/feel something happen (no as expected but something happen).
  • I disconnect/reconnect the 2 wire harness to the TCCM above the fuse panel to check a false contact.
  • Yes I put the truck in Neutral when I tried to select 4L.

Definitively No GND signal at IWE Solenoid the signal must came from the TCCM (Transfer Case Control Module) but is not coming. Just yesterday the truck enter in 4Lo 3-4 times after cleaning the contacts from the TCM harness (Transfer Case Motor). By the way today I revised the TCM harness today and i look just fine.

Every time I switch to 4L, I can hear a small sound from the TCM but it did't engage and after some 2-3 seconds the Check 4X4 wrench appears in the information display.

Also every time I switch from 2H to 4H appears at the information display "shifting to 4X4" and after some 2-3 seconds the Check 4X4 wrench appears.

What are the electrical requirements or conditions to enable and send the GND signal to the IWE solenoid?

How to get GND Signal at IWE Solenoid?<br/>

Old 08-13-2016, 07:02 PM
There are actually two separate, but related things going on when you shift into or out of 4 wheel drive. One is the Transfer Case shifting to transfer power to the front wheels in addition to the rear wheels. The other is the locking of the IWEs to transfer power from the front differential / axle shafts to the front wheels.

Based on what you've said so far, it does not appear that the TC shifting is occurring. Again, have you verified that the ESOF Motor on the back of the TC is actually moving the Shift Fork?

Last edited by 2stroked; 08-15-2016 at 08:15 PM.
Old 08-14-2016, 11:22 AM
I take apart the motor transfer case selector and it not move as I thing it will check the video www.youtube.com/watch?v=VixTFrjs9X8&t=0s

Quick Reply: 4X4 does't wok. 12 V always at 4X4 solenoid's coil