F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   2009 - 2014 F-150 (https://www.f150online.com/forums/2009-2014-f-150-105/)
-   -   Fuel Guage/ Gas tank Issue? (https://www.f150online.com/forums/2009-2014-f-150/505733-fuel-guage-gas-tank-issue.html)

Diesel5897 07-05-2015 09:44 PM

Fuel Guage/ Gas tank Issue?

Hey Guys,

I have a 2010 F150 Lariat with 56k miles on it. I had a Evap code that called for a replacement of the purge vale. Did that and have had no issues since. Only problem I have now is that i can't fill up my tank. It stops in between 3/4 and Full. I have the 36 gallon tank and can only put in around 25-26 gallons. It used to stall out and take 3-5 turns after the gas station but that has also corrected itself.

I have searched through the forum and have found a few possibilities. Fuel sending unit maybe needs to be replaced? I have less that 20 days until my powertrain warranty is up and I thought this may fall into that category but not sure. Any help or suggestions i would be grateful.

Thanks in advance

glc 07-05-2015 10:29 PM

I doubt that this is covered under powertrain, just the bumper to bumper. The code was covered under the emissions warranty.

joe51 07-06-2015 08:19 AM

What do you mean "It used to stall out and take 3-5 turns after the gas station but that has also corrected itself. "?

Ford trucks have long had a problems when trying to fill the gas tank. I've seen it many times. My dad's 1979 F-150 acted like the tank was wasn't vented and when you put fuel in the fill tube, air would come back out the same tube and that would cause the fuel nozzle to shut off early and occasionally gas would even blow completely out of the fill tube and onto the user or the side of the truck. The fuller the tank got, the worse the problem was. We finally just learned to live with it and would only fill the tank about 3/4 full.

I think the problem was mainly caused by the plate that they put in the fuel tank filler tube the blocked it and only allowed you to put in the small, unleaded fuel nozzle and not the larger regular (leaded) fuel nozzle. It completely blocked the filler tube except for a hole for the nozzle and a tiny hole for an air vent. I always thought about knocking that plate out but I never did. One of the strange things about my dad's truck was that if the truck was on a slope and tilted to the driver's side, then the problem was worse. When it tilted to the passenger side the problem was less.

In your case I don't see how the fuel sending unit could be involved. I'm wondering if the purge valve should be open (but isn't) when filling the tank to allow air out of the tank and if that might be the problem. But you could take it to the stealership while it's still under warranty and complain about it and make them find out what's wrong.

FWIW I have a 2010 FX-4 with the 36 gallon tank and I've never had a problem. But I RARELY fill it completely.

FordService 07-06-2015 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Diesel5897 (Post 5156749)
...Fuel sending unit maybe needs to be replaced? I have less that 20 days until my powertrain warranty is up and I thought this may fall into that category but not sure. Any help or suggestions i would be grateful...

It certainly wouldn't hurt to have your dealer take a peek, Diesel5897. If you get them involved, let me know and I'll explore some options to help out. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Diesel5897 07-07-2015 11:01 PM

@ Joe51. I would fill up the truck and when I would try to start it up it wouldn't turn over. It was take 3-5 tries before it would actually start. It did this for a few fill ups and then it went away. I think Ill jus take it in and see what they say.

RevBiker 07-08-2015 12:25 PM

may have leaking injectors??

glc 07-08-2015 02:54 PM

Turn over = crank
Fire = start

Doesn't crank or doesn't start?

Diesel5897 07-12-2015 05:56 PM

It wouldn't turn over

glc 07-12-2015 07:35 PM

Won't even turn over? Does the solenoid chatter, does it even try to crank? You sure you don't have a weak battery? Leaky injectors is a distinct possibility, that can cause a hydrolock which WILL destroy the engine. Get it to the dealer NOW before the warranty is up.

joe51 07-13-2015 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by glc (Post 5157665)
Won't even turn over? Does the solenoid chatter, does it even try to crank? You sure you don't have a weak battery? Leaky injectors is a distinct possibility, that can cause a hydrolock which WILL destroy the engine. Get it to the dealer NOW before the warranty is up.

X100! Hydrolock WILL destroy an engine. I've seen it happen.

Get it to the dealer and tell them that it will not turn over after filling the tank and that that you suspect hydrolocking. Make them write that down in the work order and get a copy and keep it in case something happens later. FWIW the last price that I saw for a complete engine replacement in an F-150 was over $16,000!!! But that was an Eco-boost engine so your's should be, ah, hem, "less".

Do you smell gas around it? That's a good indication of leaking fuel injectors. Leaking injectors can not only lead to hydrolocking but fuel leaking into the cylinders will wash the lubricating oil off of the cylinder walls and will cause excessive engine wear every time that you start the engine.
Another thing to watch for is the engine having more oil in it than you put into it or a strong fuel odor coning from the engine oil. Fuel from leaking injectors should ultimately end up in the oil pan and if you drain out more oil than you put in, that's probably because there's fuel in the oil.

Diesel5897 07-14-2015 12:03 AM

This happened a couple months ago. It starts now after filling up. The issue I have now is that I can't fill the tank all the way up. I have the 36 gallon tank and it will only take around 26 gallons and the gauge meter will only go in between 3/4 and Full. I had a evap code and replaced a part that fixed the code but I'm worried that the fuel sending unit and or tank is damaged (sucked in) from the issue. I read some threads about the plastic tank being sucked in due to the canister purge valve being defective. I don't smell any gas or see any other issues besides the rattling noise when accelerating or at low rpms.

Diesel5897 07-14-2015 12:04 AM

I have a trip into the dealership this weekend to see what the issue is so I will keep you all posted.

FordService 07-14-2015 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Diesel5897 (Post 5157889)
I have a trip into the dealership this weekend to see what the issue is so I will keep you all posted.

Thanks for offering to keep us in the loop, Diesel5897. If you need my assistance after getting a diagnosis, just say the word. :)

Crystal

Diesel5897 07-18-2015 03:56 PM

So I took my truck into my mechanic to see if he can figure out the problem with it not filling completely up and between him and Ford service they don't know what the issue is. The Ford service tech said that they have had this issue before and currently have 3 in their fleet with the same issue. The only option they gave me was an experimental one.
1. Replace the Charcoal Canister $320 Part plus labor
2. Replace the gas tank $ Unknown right now.

Must say I am a little disappointed that they didn't have any answers. Replacing the Charcoal Canister seems to be what Ill have to do but thats pretty expensive for just a "maybe" fix.

RevBiker 07-18-2015 04:23 PM

air has to come out of the gas tank in order for the fuel to go into the tank. I have found in the pass that the problem is in the filler neck hoses having a kink or a sharp bend in them causing the gas to backup in the hoses causing the gas pump handle to turn off. I would try pumping the gas in slowly and may be removing the hose assembly and see if the problem is there before spending money on

The Ford service tech said that they have had this issue before and currently have 3 in their fleet with the same issue. The only option they gave me was an experimental one.
1. Replace the Charcoal Canister $320 Part plus labor
2. Replace the gas tank $ Unknown right now.