F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   2009 - 2014 F-150 (https://www.f150online.com/forums/2009-2014-f-150-105/)
-   -   Fuel Guage/ Gas tank Issue? (https://www.f150online.com/forums/2009-2014-f-150/505733-fuel-guage-gas-tank-issue.html)

Diesel5897 07-18-2015 04:33 PM

Thanks RevBiker. I purposely drove the truck today to empty the tank as much as possible without running out to see how much I can get in the tank. Ill try the slow fuel today and see what happens.

Diesel5897 07-19-2015 01:18 PM

Well when I got to the gas station it said I had 2 miles until empty. After the first $100 and around 22 gallons it shut off. I figured it was the station shutting it off after $100 being spent so I tried my card again and was slowly able to get around 4 more gallons before fuel started to spill out. That still was only 26-27 gallons max that i put into the truck. The difference this time was the fuel gauge was reading full not 3/4 full. Im starting to think maybe its my fuel gage itself that is faulty. I know for a fact that I have the 36 gallon tank.
Anyone know if there is a code that would be pulled for a faulty fuel gauge?

joe51 07-19-2015 06:05 PM

If there is one I would think that the dealer would have found it and said something.

NO! I would not pay for them to learn their D***** jobs on MY truck! Tell them to go experiment on one of their fleet trucks and figure out what the problem is and then call you!

Also Ford should have a technical support line to support dealers with difficult problems. Have they tried it yet????? In my experience they don't until they're forced to.

Charcoal canister is a pretty simple device IMO. if it were mine I'd take it off and have a close look at it inside and out. But I love to tinker.

FWIW I did have one nearly new car that was returned by the original buyer under the Lemon law and that I bought. After I had the same emmissions code pop up three times and the dealer couldn't find the problem three times and they tried to blame me for leaving the gas cap loose, I CHEWED their asses and threatened to return the car under the Lemon Law. They finally took it in actually spent some time troubleshooting it instead of just part swapping. The problem turned out to be a tiny crack on the top of the charcoal canister in the crease where one of the molded plastic hose barbs came out. It was allowing a small air leak and the computer caught it. They replaced just the top of the canister and we never had another problem. My son is still driving the same car 14 years later.

FordService 07-20-2015 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Diesel5897 (Post 5158508)
So I took my truck into my mechanic to see if he can figure out the problem with it not filling completely up and between him and Ford service they don't know what the issue is...

Let's get these concerns pushed up the chain to your regional customer service manager, Diesel5897. To make that happen, PM me your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership. I'll make sure this is in the right hands. :thumbsup:

Crystal

tcp2 07-20-2015 12:52 PM

Because of the evap, purge valve problem, your tank was under vacuum for some period of time. The purge valve puts the tank in a vacuum state and if it stays that way due to it being defective, your tank will buckle inwards from the vacuum. When that happens the fuel tank sending unit (that provides the gauge with the fuel level) bends and will now read incorrectly. you need a new sending unit to fix the level problem.

Please watch this video:

even more info:

joe51 07-20-2015 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by FordService (Post 5158740)
Let's get these concerns pushed up the chain to your regional customer service manager, Diesel5897. To make that happen, PM me your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership. I'll make sure this is in the right hands. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Yes, this needs to happen NOW. The Stealership should have elevated it to Ford Tech Support when they couldn't figure out the problem INSTEAD of offering to start randomly swapping parts at the customer's expense and at ~$500 a throw! It's things like this that drive otherwise loyal customers away from Ford. IMO the service manager in the case should be fired! I can only wonder how many customers Ford has already lost because of him in cases where the customer didn't publicize their problem and that we don't know about.

For the life of me I don't understand why Ford and the other car companies let the stealerships keep pulling this kind of crap! Frankly, to a LOT of people buying an automobile isn't an opportunity to buy what they think is the best brand and best model but a choice of choosing the lesser of evils! I can tell everyone in nauseating detail of my experiences with several stealerships and why I will never buy that brand of automobile again because of stunts like this.

joe51 07-20-2015 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by tcp2 (Post 5158754)
Because of the evap, purge valve problem, your tank was under vacuum for some period of time. The purge valve puts the tank in a vacuum state and if it stays that way due to it being defective, your tank will buckle inwards from the vacuum. When that happens the fuel tank sending unit (that provides the gauge with the fuel level) bends and will now read incorrectly. you need a new sending unit to fix the level problem.

Please watch this video:

Purge valve issue

even more info:

more evap info

WOW! I did not know that this was a KNOWN problem! I'd say right now that this is likely to be the source of the OP's problem. If so, the Steaslership's service manager and mechanics should have known about it and checked for it. I'm keeping my fingers crossed the OP will check for this and report back here if it is or is not, the problem.

I'm also going to bet that this is the source of a lot of other problem that others have reported such as excessive fuel consumption and burned out cats!

TCP2, do you know if the 2010 5.4s are subject to this problem? The video mentioned several engines but not the 5.4. Also how does the excess vacuum damage the fuel level sending unit? I've never had one out so I don't know how they're built or what they look like. (Knock on wood!)

Thanks for posting this TCP2! It's good to know about even if it's not the solution to the OP's problem.

Diesel5897 07-20-2015 09:59 PM

Thanks for the videos I've watched them before thats how I was able to replace the purge valve to remove the code. Im going to head into the dealership this week and hopefully get this situation fixed. My tank doesn't appear to be damaged my mechanic took a thorough look so Ill make Ford take a look deeper this time. And to be fair to Ford I haven't taken it into them yet. I decided to take it to my mechanic since he doesnt charge for an inspection. He was the one who spoke to the Ford techs and they said they would just replace the Charcoal Canister to see if that fixed the issue which is what I'm assuming what they would have told me if I brought it in.

joe51 07-23-2015 09:30 AM

I don't understand why you'd take it to a local instead of the dealership if it was still under warranty. Even if just to create a record of the problem with Ford in case it reoccurs later. I'm also surprised that a mechanic would take a free look at it if he knew that you weren't going to give him the job to repair it!

So, was there a problem with the purge valve? I don't think you've mentioned that before.

I went back and looked. You said:

"So I took my truck into my mechanic to see if he can figure out the problem with it not filling completely up and between him and **Ford service** they don't know what the issue is. **The Ford service tech said** that they have had this issue before and currently have 3 in their fleet with the same issue. The only option they gave me was an experimental one."

**s added. I think we ALL thought that you'd taken to a Ford dealership mechanic! You NEED to do that. A properly trained and equipped mechanic at a FORD dealership should know far more about how to find and fix Ford problems than a 3rd party. Also did you notice the bit in the video with the two paper printouts for the fuel adjustment and trim and how he showed that those were corrected after replacing the purge valve? I'll bet your mechanic can't do that.

Hopefully you can get into a Ford service center this week. I'd be very interested in what they find. OTOH if the tank is damaged or the fuel sending unit is damaged and you or your mechanic already replaced the cause (the purge valve) I can easily see Ford denying the warranty claim since you or your mechanic removed the evidence.

Waiting for the outcome on this one!

Diesel5897 07-23-2015 01:38 PM

I took it to my mechanic because both he and Ford said that it wasn't a powertrain issue and that was the only warranty I had left. I don't know where you got the idea that I would not have my mechanic repair it if he found any issue. Makes sense to pay nothing than $110 for a inspection when my mechanic is more than capable. My mechanic spoke to the Ford tech on the phone who stated that they did not know the issue and would just order the charcoal canisters to see if that fixed the issue. Seems to me that they do not know the exact cause. I replaced the purge valve myself so never adjusted anything. Ill rematch that video to see what your talking about.

Diesel5897 01-15-2016 12:16 AM

Took it to Ford finally and they told me I have a bad fuel sending unit. I had an additional 10 gallons of gas after it read 0 on the meter and the fuel gauge was completely on E. Anyone replace the unit one themselves?