2009 - 2014 F-150

MAF and cold air intake issues and questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 08:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MAF and cold air intake issues and questions

Hello all,
I tried to post this twice before and it would not load. I hope this works.

I have a 2010 XLT Screw 5.4, short bed 4x2. I love this truck and am happy with the 5.4 and 6 speed.

My mods are simple:
True dual exhaust with an X pipe and an 11 inch DI/DO Magnaflow muffler, 3.73 gears abd POSI unit upgraded from factory 3.15 gears, SCT unit with 93 tune from Mike at 5-Star, and lastly, an AEM 4" cold air intake unit.

My issues is with my cold air intake. Its a full 4" tube. Its big, chrome, and loud. I love the look because it deletes the ugly lower air box and plenum. This intake comes with a module that plugs between the MAF and wiring harness. Per AEM, it "calibrates" the MAF signal to adjust for the 4" tube.

Ever since i installed this unit, my truck has idled just a tiny bit rougher. It skightly surges when it revs up and at WOT, and it seems to always has a slight miss. This was after the instal. I seemed to just get used to it.

I recently got an SCT unit with a 93 tune from 5-Star. After downloading the tune, the truck was a monster. I loved it. However, the old symptoms got way worse. Including pinging at WOT.

I spoke with a few tuners and they say to ditch that ETI MAF module. They said its a hack and the conputer and MAF should be tuned to the 4" tube.

Mike at 5-Star said he couldnt do it unless data logged and dynoed.

VMP said they have premade tunes for exactly what I neef.

Also, I purchased a kit from Spectre that includes two cone calibrator insert tubes made for 4" intakes. One insert is 3" OD and the other is 3.5 OD. They slip in the front of the tube at the MAF and there is a slot for the MAF. Its basically a tube within a tube to keep the look of ghe 4" intake without reducing it at the MAF. The problem is that the stock Ford MAF housing is 3.25 or 82mm. Can anyone confirm this?? That means that one insert will be too lean and the other too rich. I was hoping to use one of these to mechanically calibrate the MAF, so I could ditch the ETI module.

Being that most after market intakes are 3.5" , so i pulled out the ETI, put in the 3.5 insert, and returned it to stock. The symptoms remain. I was thinking of using ghe 3" insert to be on the safe side until i find a solution.

Anyway these seem to be my only options.

1. Return the intake to stock. I cant because i sold it one year ago.

2. Keep the conputer stock with the ETI module and deal with it. Well, i dont want the symptoms and I want to be able to tune it with the SCT unit I just got without the symptoms getting worse.

3. Get a whole new intake with the factory size tube of 3.25. I would not know where to start with this. All the ones I have seen use a 3.5 inch tube. If thats the case, i can just use tbe 3.5 insert I have already and not waste money on a new intake.

4. Get s VMP custom email tune for just what I need. This seems to be the fastest, easiest, and cheapest way, but i worry about doing this without a dyno.

5. Dyno tune. I know of a very reputable place about 4 hours away that can dyno tune my truck real nice which includes calibrating the MAF for any tube size for $550. Thats crazy expensive and too far for me.

Any other options??? Ideas?? Advice?

Just FYI. I have always been very good with engines. I have always done all my own repairs and even rebuilt a few modded engine. My knowledge is limmited to the mechanical realm. Im a total noob when it comes to ECU tuning, MAF transfer tables, and so on.... Please pardon my noob questions.

Thank you in advance.

Old 02-12-2014, 08:17 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Hi and Welcome!

In Florida?

I would go with VMP. Get the tuning, and either go to their shop to get it dialed in if necessary, OR, datalog and have Justin dial it in remotely. You will need access to a wideband to connect to the X3 analog input or perhaps Justin can work from trims and narrowband data - need to ask him what parameters and data he requires to save you an actual visit.

No real need for a dyno - onroad datalogging and iterative remote email tuning corrections works just fine.

good luck!

MGD

Last edited by MGDfan; 02-12-2014 at 08:20 PM.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:54 PM
Yup in Tampa FL.

Thanks MGD! I have been a lurker on here for a while. You are ab absolute wealth of knowledge.

In the mean time, should i just run the ETI module, or one of the inserts?

Old 02-12-2014, 09:08 PM
Originally Posted by PRNDL
Yup in Tampa FL.

Thanks MGD! I have been a lurker on here for a while. You are ab absolute wealth of knowledge.

In the mean time, should i just run the ETI module, or one of the inserts?
Hi.

Tampa? You are SO lucky - yer only an hour or so away from VMP!

Hell - knowing that, I'd be gittin' my hairy ayss over to see Justin ASAP and get this put to bed.

On yer second point - running richer is better than leaner in the short-term. I suppose run the ETI and keep out of the throttle (in other words, out of Open Loop) as much as possible until you get it tuned correctly with a properly accurate and safe MAF transfer function specific to yer setup.

Very best of luck - good to see you over here!

MGD

Old 02-12-2014, 09:28 PM
Wow, I did not know VMP was here. Thanks man!

Old 02-12-2014, 09:52 PM
Wow, I did not know VMP was here. Thanks man!

Yep: http://vmptuning.com/index.php?p=pag..._id=contact_us

They've moved east a bit. Contact 'em fer their new address.

Check out the Events section on the right - they will be holding an event in Bradenton on March 6 to 9, 2014. Mobile dyno, etc. Call 'em to find out more, register, etc.

good luck!

MGD

Old 02-12-2014, 10:25 PM
What do you think of the AF1 intake MGD?? From what I read they make a 3 inch intake so its does not have to be tuned?? Im having trouble finding one for my application. I wonder how the 3" would work with my truck.

MGD are you able to confirm if my 2010 5.4 has a 3.25 stock MAF housing?

Old 02-12-2014, 10:33 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What do you think of the AF1 intake MGD?? From what I read they make a 3 inch intake so its does not have to be tuned?? Im having trouble finding one for my application. I wonder how the 3" would work with my truck.

Any intake is going to be a waste for 2009+ f150. They do not have a restrictive snorkel like 2008- f150s. Unless you just wanna spend the money for looks.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:36 PM
Ok thank you guys! Great info

Old 02-12-2014, 10:45 PM

Hi.

AF1 is no longer in business. They were gone before the 2009+ trucks came out, AFAIK, so there isn't going to be a compatible unit.

[ The 3"ers for the 04-08 5.4 3V's did not need tuning in most cases. The 3.25 and 3.5" variants did. ]

As for the stock MAF housing size on yer truck, I do not know. But - I do know it's not only about the 'size' or 'cross-section' of the MAF venturi, it's the geometry. That's why the MAF has to be calibrated to match - otherwise the sampling will be off.

Best to ask VMP.

good luck

MGD

Quick Reply: MAF and cold air intake issues and questions