2009 - 2014 F-150

New F150 Thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 01:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New F150 Thoughts

Long post here... I’ve been a lurker here forever. Used the info found to make sure I bought my old F150 with an engine build after the piston slap problem was solved, got the disappearing odometer solved, info on replacing the turn signal switch, and so much more.

It was time to retire old faithful. My 2000 F150 XLT Supercab 4x4 with the 5.4 had 218,000 miles on it. The engine was still running strong, but some problems started to pop up, was due for some big maintenance items, and could almost watch the rust grow by the minute. The lower fenders, doors, and rocker panels were real bad and the inner section of the door had holes. The lower part of the tail gate was pretty bad, too. I think I had one of the few 2000 vintage that didn’t develop the cracks in the door skin by the window (backed off the window a bit after closing). 14 years of dependable service, I’ll miss that truck.

Last month, I bought a 2013 F150 XLT Supercab 4x4 with the Ecoboost engine. Many of the small things I wished my 2000 had are on the 2013. We’ll see how things go once hauling and towing starts. Hope this one goes past 200K again.

Pros:
Get the 302B package.

I always thought my 2000 would be perfect truck if it had larger, heated outside mirrors; power sliding rear window with defroster; and power rear side windows. The 2013 has all three.

The balanced tailgate is a plus. Like the one-handed operation. This one has the tailgate step which I didn’t think was needed. However, it’s really useful and I already use it more than I thought I would.

The engine has way more pep than expected. I’m getting a little north of 16 mpg so far but only have 1,500 miles on it. Will be interesting what it settles out at after it loosens up.

The backup camera is useful in tight quarters and for checking if one of my family members has left something out on my side of the garage below my sightline while backing in.

Like the integrated trailer brake controller. Really like the trailer plugs in back. Comes with both the 7 pin and 4 pin. No 7 to 4 adapter needed. Nice.

The block heater cord doesn’t just hang out there in front like the 2000. This one comes with a clip.

Like that the rear side windows now go up and down instead of the pop-outs like on the 2000. And they’re power.

The auto-dimming rear view mirror and driver side mirror are a plus.

The 36 gallon tank rocks. Except when I fill it up.

Cons:
It’s taller and longer than the 2000. The box is higher and inside dimensions about the same. However, it has less ground clearance. Noticed that when I crawled underneath and couldn’t get very far. Was able to change the oil on my old one without jacking it up. Looks like the oil change will be a PITA on this one. I looked at the thread with all the oil change photos so it will be interesting.

What happened to the driver side grab handle?

What’s with the open door positions? Either too far in or too far out. Real adventure in a parking lot. Bought the Door Detent 3.0 kit.

Wish there was more room under the rear seat. The jack placement is a dumb. Was better under the front passenger seat. Hard to keep a small shovel, brush and scraper, and rain gear under there now.

Sure seems like the sheet metal is thinner. I guess that doesn't matter. Wonder how much lighter it made the truck?

Too much chrome trim for my liking. I liked the brushed metallic on the 2000 better. I guess bling’s the thing now.

The 4x4 stickers on the rear fenders are cheesy looking. Took those off last weekend.

Why aren’t there rear wheel well liners? The 2000 didn’t have them either, but the 2013 seems more open. I bought a set of the Ford liners on Amazon. Pretty easy to install.

I don’t like the placement of manual setting for the transmission. There should be a lockout or position it all the way to the right side. I inadvertently slid into it a couple weeks ago. Noticed it when I heard the engine screaming. Good thing I caught it quick. Don’t think I got past 4000 rpm. So much for the easy break-in…

Mods:

Nothing big planned for this one. I had the bed coated with Line-X premium. Checked the forum first and made sure to get the tailgate edges done.

Added a Bakflip G2 cover. Really like how easy it is to get full access now. My old truck had a fiberglass Astro lid. Hating taking it off when the need arose a few times each year.

Added WeatherTech mudflaps front and rear, the Ford rear fender well liners, a set of Ventvisors, and the Door Detent 3.0 door checks.

Will probably get winter tires next year if I can find some take-off wheels from a ’13.

Old 12-20-2013, 02:42 PM
Thanks for the helpful info. I'm planning a new truck and posts like this are very welcome.

Old 12-22-2013, 05:29 PM
Great post. Thank you for the insight

Quick Reply: New F150 Thoughts