Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

f150 burning again !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 10:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
f150 burning again !!!!

hey

some of you might remember how my truck caught on fire last year, well it was about to happen again.

my post from last year about the original fire https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...ught-fire.html the final diagnosis was that a wire rubbed against the front diff but they did not tell me which wire. they replaced the main wiring harness, oil send unit, block heater cord and diff vent.

everything was fine untill 36000 km excluding the first incident that occured at 18000 km, issues occuring 18000 km apart.

I was driving the truck and once I exited the vehicle I noticed a foul odor of burning rubber. The smell was very thick and potent. I instantly opened the hood of the truck but did not see anything out of the ordinary other then that the odor got stronger. I thought that this smell could have been my tires so I disregarded the odor. But the odor persisted when I drove home . I called ford to make an appointment for the issue. The service workers told me that the odor was from the catalytic converter. I drove the truck again the next few days but I was not satisfyied with the diagnosis of the odor being from the catalytic converters so I went back to ford and took a mechanic out for a ride with me and we both smelled the odor and we booked the truck in for the odor issue. I dropped the truck off the day of my appointment. I came back at the end of the day to see if the odor was diagnosed. I talked directly to the mechanic and he told me he could not find the issue but its possible that some type of glue was burning and possibly causing the smell. He also told me that the truck was going to be booked for hotline testing the following Monday and that ford is not letting the vehicle be driven because it was unsafe. I came back the following Monday and they did not diagnose the problem. I contacted fords customer relations and told them about the problem, the dealer also told me to write a statement of the whole issue from day one to now,

At this point we are thinking about trading it in but we will loose a lump some of money on the trade which is really inconvientinet

ps it was the exact same smell both times, a buddy of mine suggusts that it is the same problem persisting and that fords orginal dianosis was wrong

Old 09-02-2013, 11:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does it make this smell only when driving it, or will it happen if the truck sits in your driveway idling for an hour?

A waste of fuel, but might help a diagnosis.

Old 09-03-2013, 12:55 AM
get a good led light and go over it while it's running. Keep sniffing.

Old 09-03-2013, 01:33 PM
Suspended
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Usually this happening in a wire harness happens quickly and when U disconnect the battery it stops shortly. The damage is done and U loose whatever the power went to. What U may have is a bad motor in the AC unit. Again these usually solve themselves and quit working along with the fuses. It would appear UR's in the ground returning from the needed circuit. One thing to look for is a squirrel's mess by the exhaust near the motor. There is a natural trap area if U look up under the side of the motor where they can store pine cones, nuts and other stuff. It can/will burn from there.

Old 09-03-2013, 02:45 PM

If they deemed it "unsafe", and cannot fix the problem under warranty, isnt Ford supposed too replace the truck.

Old 09-04-2013, 12:39 AM
the dealership is still looking for the problem, if they do not find the problem would they replace the truck with something that is equivilent? or buy the truck back

Old 09-04-2013, 01:36 PM
Suspended
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I would demand to see the burnt up parts when U get it back. There is a lot of exposed wiring along the frame where something may contact the harness and crush it. I'm thinking a jack or lift. Also the area at the back of the motor where wiring harness continues to the transmission. Possibly installed wrong both times ?

Last edited by papa tiger; 09-04-2013 at 01:44 PM.

Quick Reply: f150 burning again !!!!