F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   2009 - 2014 F-150 (https://www.f150online.com/forums/2009-2014-f-150-105/)
-   -   Ecoboost or 5.0 which would you choose? (https://www.f150online.com/forums/2009-2014-f-150/489501-ecoboost-5-0-would-you-choose.html)

FshrFwl 08-15-2013 07:11 PM

Ecoboost or 5.0 which would you choose?

Getting a new F150 in the next month or so! Help me decide on which motor to go with.

From what a know the Ecoboost has about 10 more horse power and also a little more torque. The price Diff is no concern up front but I am very concerned about possible costly repairs to turbos or such. I put about 25K mile per year and they are 90% Farm road and in town driving. I pull a bass boat about once a week and a 29' house trailer about 3-4 times per year.

Will the Ecoboost give me much advantage in MPG to be worth the possible repair issues?

Does the Ecoboost have that much more advantage in towing over the 5.0?

Thanks for the help

jdeacon 08-15-2013 07:23 PM

:deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse: :deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse: :deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse: :deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse: :deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse: :deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse: :deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse:

:coffee:

johndeerefarmer 08-15-2013 07:25 PM

The ecoboost will not give you any advantage in fuel economy unless you go with the 3.31 axle. If you tow a 29' travel trailer you want the 3.73 axle with either engine.

The main advantage of the ecoboost is it's torque curve. It makes torque at lower rpms than the 5.0 and will not be shifting so much as you are towing.
I have no concerns about the turbos. I have two John Deere tractors and a skidsteer. All have turbos and none have had any issues. Neither have any of my previous tractors or my 05 Powerstroke or my 2011 Ecoboost -( I now have a 2013 ecoboost.)

jdeacon 08-15-2013 07:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
and just fyi i tried using about 100 more beating a dead horse icons but it limits me to 29 in a post

Attachment 39426

FshrFwl 08-15-2013 07:35 PM

Sorry to offend you Mr JDeacon. I just found this site and had a legitment question. If you are so bothered by it you could have chosen to just bypass the post and not waste your precious time, or better yet maybe you could have polity referred me to previous threads that might have help me out! JA

Thanks for the warm fuzzy welcome

retrogameroom 08-15-2013 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by FshrFwl (Post 5011831)
Sorry to offend you Mr JDeacon. I just found this site and had a legitment question. If you are so bothered by it you could have chosen to just bypass the post and not waste your precious time, or better yet maybe you could have polity referred me to previous threads that might have help me out! JA

As I found out the "hard way" in a different forum, you are better off searching before you ask a question if you are new. :welcome:

BTW, I love my 5.0 but I do not tow at all... (plus the extra $500 rebate was nice)

KingRanchCoy 08-15-2013 08:37 PM

Depends how big your man card is? If you have to have the v8 sound then get the 5.0.. If you want better hp, torque and mpg's then go with the ecobeast.. I went with the Ecoboost and absolute love it.. Good Luck!

:shark:

gcart 08-15-2013 08:48 PM

I'm actually surprised with the responses.

If I was faced with this opportunity I would have chosen the 5.0, no questions asked. Especially considering its a proven engine, like the 4.6.

The one thing that bothers me with the Eco boost is this... Small motor + big hp = issues. Apparently that is not the case. Nice to know that ford has come up with a solid more economical alternative to V8. That is of course if the asking price is similar.

Good stuff.

Bluejay 08-15-2013 09:04 PM

I seldom tow, so not concerned with the extra torque. When I do tow, the 5.0 has been jut fine. I have 60,000 on the 5.0 and I get better mpg than two buddies that have EBs. If I were buying another one it would be another 5.0.

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup

jntibs 08-15-2013 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by gcart (Post 5011850)
I'm actually surprised with the responses.

If I was faced with this opportunity I would have chosen the 5.0, no questions asked. Especially considering its a proven engine, like the 4.6.

I dont understand why people think this. The EB has been in service longer than the 5.0, and this engine bears no resemblance to the 5.0 of old.

retrogameroom 08-15-2013 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by KingRanchCoy (Post 5011845)
Depends how big your man card is? If you have to have the v8 sound then get the 5.0.. If you want better hp, torque and mpg's then go with the ecobeast.. I went with the Ecoboost and absolute love it.. Good Luck!

:shark:

Everyone I personally know who owns an EcoBoost loves it. However, I get virtually identical MPGs under similar driving conditions. For me it was not worth the extra cost for my use.

Since this guy plans on towing, the EcoBoost may be his best option.

blueovelboy 08-15-2013 09:17 PM

I drive all three of fords motors, all three are extra cab f150's all with the 3.55 and all pull a 7700# trailer behind them! I can say 5.4 /3.5 /5.0 all tow good the 5.4 gets the best mileage towing the 5.0 is second and last is the 3.5 empty the 5.0 is best then the 3.5 then the 5.4. but to be honest with you all are great motors and all will do what you need them to do!

Wookie 08-15-2013 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by jntibs (Post 5011856)
I dont understand why people think this. The EB has been in service longer than the 5.0, and this engine bears no resemblance to the 5.0 of old.

That line of thinking is thrown out in ever freaking EB vs. 5.0 thread. Think of it as an easy way to weed out those that talk straight outta their ass.

NASSTY 08-15-2013 10:07 PM

Because they don't know what they are talking about.

retrogameroom 08-15-2013 10:25 PM

...the 5.0, and this engine bears no resemblance to the 5.0 of old.

Yep, It doesn't look anything like what I had in my Fox body Mustang GT.

gcart 08-15-2013 10:47 PM

If you really don't know I would love to explain it to you.

A couple things.

First off, people, including myself, have heard about the 5.0 engine forever. Now you say the motors are not similar at all. That's a fun fact. Didn't know that. Kudos to you. Secondly, generally when a "new" motor is released, it comes with issues. And when you take such a substantial, dare I say risky, move like adding a smaller motor with a higher output motor to a work horse... It may raise a few brows. I look forward to seeing how these vehicles hold up in mass amounts at 200k+. Not everyone finances a new truck every 3 years. From the looks of things so far, once again, it looks like ford successfully put out a more economical alternative to the v8.

I added my opinion, I forgot we couldn't do that on this forum anymore.

Thanks all,
Sam.

Edit: let me add in I'm not Kevin O. Or prime81. I don't come here to argue back and forth and defend my opinion. There is a lot of good information on here, and a lot of pricks.

hydro1 08-15-2013 10:55 PM

^gcart, the EB may be smaller displacement with big power...., but the internals are FORGED. That is huge in any engine. It is built to last. I did and will pay $750 more for forged internals any day of the week. The mpg are not really any better with the EB, but the engine makes way more power. Most engine builders would kill for 30 more lb-ft.

For me, a motor doesn't need to last 200k miles. It would take me 20+ years to get there. I hammer the crap out of my truck everyday. It gets floored at least 10-15 times a day. I just love feeling torque from a stand still or passing. I only put 8-10,000 miles on my truck a year. So years are what count in my book. I flip every 4-6 years because I like having the latest gadgets in my vehicles. I may not turn the most miles, but they are very severe miles. Probably worse than a 100k+ mile motor that has been a freeway queen.

gcart 08-15-2013 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by hydro1 (Post 5011894)
^gcart, the EB may be smaller displacement with big power...., but the internals are FORGED. That is huge in any engine. It is built to last. I did and will pay $750 more for forged internals any day of the week. The mpg are not really any better with the EB, but the engine makes way more power. Most engine builders would kill for 30 more lb-ft.

That goes along with what I have previously said, twice, I'm glad ford came up with a more economical alternative. Economical meaning fuel wise, and affordability.

dewalt17 08-15-2013 11:38 PM

Ecoboost has more components that can fail. Ford has been making the modular S/D OHC motors for quite some time and are quite good at it. This ecoboost motor is newer in the sense that Ford hasn't been making this type of engine as long. The 5.0, while being a different motor, was built on lessons learned from the 4.6/5.4. Seeing some of the headaches members have had on here make me want to avoid ecoboost. Kinda like some on here would also want to avoid a 5.4 3v. My motor might be pretty gutless, but it is quite reliable.

gcart 08-15-2013 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by dewalt17 (Post 5011902)
Ecoboost has more components that can fail. Ford has been making the modular S/D OHC motors for quite some time and are quite good at it. This ecoboost motor is newer in the sense that Ford hasn't been making this type of engine as long. The 5.0, while being a different motor, was built on lessons learned from the 4.6/5.4. Seeing some of the headaches members have had on here make me want to avoid ecoboost. Kinda like some on here would also want to avoid a 5.4 3v. My motor might be pretty gutless, but it is quite reliable.

Put on your flame suit.

dewalt17 08-15-2013 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by gcart (Post 5011906)
Put on your flame suit.

I ain't scared. :p I know my engine is far more reliable than an ecoboost, 5.4 3v, and probably even the current 5.0. Only thing more reliable than a 4.6L 2v is an old 300 straight 6. Those damn things are pretty much indestructible.

gcart 08-15-2013 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by dewalt17 (Post 5011911)

I ain't scared. :p I know my engine is far more reliable than an ecoboost, 5.4 3v, and probably even the current 5.0. Only thing more reliable than a 4.6L 2v is an old 300 straight 6. Those damn things are pretty much indestructible.

I'm on my second one. Put 180k miles on my first. Hard miles too.

Just bought a 2010 a month ago with the 4.6, plan on driving it until I have kids (hopefully 6-10 years).

risupercrewman 08-16-2013 12:00 AM

I'd go with the 5.0! Nothing like V8 sound & smoothness!

prime81 08-16-2013 01:12 AM

Turbos are in diesels and many cars, many of which have gone 250k+ miles with no issues. For mileage, towing ability, and quietness the ecoboost is a clear winner.

The EB will not go rev crazy like the v8 counterparts do, this gives the engine better economy and IMO less wear and tear. My EB tows my 9300lb fifth wheel @ 60mph with 1700-1800rpms. I've owned both v8's and turbo cars in the past, v8 has a different and addictive sound to it where as the rush from the turbos is equally addictive. Towing with v8's is just not the same as the EB, the max torque at 2500 rpms on the EB just blows the older v8's away.

Want proof? Try doing this with a 5.slow :p

JCR 56 08-16-2013 07:10 AM

The 5.0, all day long.

99and04f150 08-16-2013 08:35 AM

I have owned them both..... For what you are looking to do get an EB. Both are solid engines that at the end of the day will get the job done. With what you are looking to do with your truck, you will most likely average 15 to 16 MPG for the life of it. I wouldn't worry about reliability with either engine. Some of the 11 and 12 EB's had some bugs, but I think Ford has that worked out.

With all that being said I do drive a 5.slow...... :)

Kevin O. 08-16-2013 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by gcart (Post 5011891)
If you really don't know I would love to explain it to you.

A couple things.

First off, people, including myself, have heard about the 5.0 engine forever. Now you say the motors are not similar at all. That's a fun fact. Didn't know that. Kudos to you. Secondly, generally when a "new" motor is released, it comes with issues. And when you take such a substantial, dare I say risky, move like adding a smaller motor with a higher output motor to a work horse... It may raise a few brows. I look forward to seeing how these vehicles hold up in mass amounts at 200k+. Not everyone finances a new truck every 3 years. From the looks of things so far, once again, it looks like ford successfully put out a more economical alternative to the v8.

I added my opinion, I forgot we couldn't do that on this forum anymore.

Thanks all,
Sam.

Edit: let me add in I'm not Kevin O. Or prime81. I don't come here to argue back and forth and defend my opinion. There is a lot of good information on here, and a lot of pricks.

First off, I'm not sure who you think your calling a prick??? I also only argue facts not opinions and your opinion on the 5.0 is WRONG. It has nothing in common with the 5.0 of the past except the 5.0 badge. Comparing it this soon to the well renowned 4.6L is just a little premature since the new 5.0 has only been out since 2011. The 3.5L duratec that is the same engine design as the Ecoboost has been out since 2007 and has already proven itself as a dependable power train. Ford has now taken the same engine and made it strong enough to handle the twin turbos. Here is a link that explains what the ecoboost short block is made of to handle the extra power.

http://www.full-race.com/articles/in...ost-f-150.html

To the OP, If you need the sweet sound of the V8 then get the 5.0 .Both engines will do the job. The Ecoboost will just do it with much less effort and much less downshifting on hills to maintain speed.. I chose the Ecoboost and couldn't be happier. The smooth quiet power is what i enjoy. Nothing better than climbing 6% grades with a 7500-8000lb trailer and never seeing the rpms going higher than 2200rpms.

gcart 08-16-2013 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin O. (Post 5011968)
First off, I'm not sure who you think your calling a prick??? I also only argue facts not opinions and your opinion on the 5.0 is WRONG. It has nothing in common with the 5.0 of the past except the 5.0 badge. Comparing it this soon to the well renowned 4.6L is just a little premature since the new 5.0 has only been out since 2011. The 3.5L duratec that is the same engine design as the Ecoboost has been out since 2007 and has already proven itself as a dependable power train. Ford has now taken the same engine and made it strong enough to handle the twin turbos. Here is a link that explains what the ecoboost short block is made of to handle the extra power. http://www.full-race.com/articles/in...ost-f-150.html To the OP, If you need the sweet sound of the V8 then get the 5.0 .Both engines will do the job. The Ecoboost will just do it with much less effort and much less downshifting on hills to maintain speed.. I chose the Ecoboost and couldn't be happier. The smooth quiet power is what i enjoy. Nothing better than climbing 6% grades with a 7500-8000lb trailer and never seeing the rpms going higher than 2200rpms.

You're** actually, holy grammar man.

Not you. You weren't involved in the "being a prick" in this thread. When I brought up your name, I was referring back to your repeated arguing with prime81. And didn't say anything negative towards you.

Does no one read into post anymore?

Thanks all.
Sam.

Rambo 08-16-2013 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by FshrFwl (Post 5011822)
I pull a bass boat about once a week and a 29' house trailer about 3-4 times per year.

Does the Ecoboost have that much more advantage in towing over the 5.0?

Buy it based on the payload, not the sound. The EcoBoost's extra payload and torque will help towing. I say buy the EcoBoost Max Trailer Tow Package or Heavy-Duty Payload Package.

Patman 08-16-2013 11:55 AM

All you ECO lovers, just wait until you have an injector fail. The Land Rover (built under Ford) direct injectors cost 800 a piece, just in parts

I'd buy 5.0 in a heart beat. I don't care about having 30 extra ftlbs with the ECO, since I'm already gaining a lot of power over my 4.6 2V 4spd

glc 08-16-2013 12:03 PM

Why does Rock Auto list Motorcraft injectors for the Ecoboost at $39.79?

hydro1 08-16-2013 12:08 PM

^ really?? Did you just "read" that or actually search? Not you glc, you beat me to patmans post. I saw many for $25-40 also, but wasn't sure if that was a complete assembly. Either way another lame EcoBoost flame that was proven wrong.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Standard-Mot...a482fb&vxp=mtr

Wookie 08-16-2013 12:20 PM

^^^ When will you guys quit using facts on the internet? Personal opinions based on wild speculation and conjecture are the only things allowed! Sure anyone with a dial-up internet connection, a search engine and 2 minutes could find a thousand differences between the Windsor 5.0 and the Coyote 5.0 but who has time for all that? Given 2 more minutes of dial up time and you could learn the Duratec series of Ford V6s has been in use since the early 90s but who really wants to use facts when they shoot holes in your conspiracy theories?

hydro1 08-16-2013 12:26 PM

That's right Wookie, don't let facts get in the way of a good story.

Bmax32 08-16-2013 12:33 PM

Actually Kevin O. He didn't call you a prick he just said you argued.

prime81 08-16-2013 12:38 PM

There was a prick in there originally, it was edited out. Either way, it's forums and we all have opinions. Drive what ya like

Rambo 08-16-2013 12:50 PM

Rambo 08-16-2013 12:52 PM

KingRanchCoy 08-16-2013 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Patman (Post 5011995)
All you ECO lovers, just wait until you have an injector fail. The Land Rover (built under Ford) direct injectors cost 800 a piece, just in parts

Originally Posted by glc (Post 5011997)
Why does Rock Auto list Motorcraft injectors for the Ecoboost at $39.79?

Burn! Lmao.. :devil:. Glc 1 Patman 0 :scared:

jdeacon 08-16-2013 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by FshrFwl (Post 5011831)

You see what this thread has already turned in to? I wasn't bothered by your specific question at all, just the fact that this question has been asked a million times and you could've read through dozens of threads on this without even joining the forum. :eek: