2009 - 2014 F-150

2010 with odd electrical problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 11:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 with odd electrical problems

My 2010 F 150 4x4 has had some weird issues, I wonder if they are related?

I have tire pressure sensor warning that comes and go's, it comes on then resets itself. Yes tire pressure is correct. It was happening with the oem wheels, installed new wheels, tires and sensors it was fine then the same happened.

My key fob's are acting up, they have no range you have to stand next to the truck for them to work. Tonight they just quit working, tried new batteries nothing, pulled out the batteries again and tried them again and they work, no range.

And my radio reception on FM is quirky reception gets poor at times when I should have perfectly good reception.

Is there a common receiver on these trucks?

Old 07-24-2013, 09:31 PM
I have the same problems, well 2 out of the 3. My TPMS alerts come on for no reason. Matter of fact it just happened to me 3 times while on vacation. It has only happen when I was driving on the highway for awhile. So the tires are nice and hot. I paid a visit to the dealer after the 1st time it happen and they reset the TPMS system. It worked for awhile.

The other issue is the keyless entry remote. They had GREAT range when new, but until 6 months ago they started acting up. I changed the batteries as well and nothing changed. I am at a lost.

Sorry couldn't be of much help, but I would love to hear of any fixes if any.

My truck is a 2011 FX4.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:27 PM
glc
Received 757 Likes on 702 Posts
I wonder if the TPMS will stop tripping if you use dry nitrogen in the tires? That will minimize the pressure rise/drop with temperature.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:25 PM
Only problem I have sometimes with my '10 is that the a/c will sometimes blow at full blast and i have to turn it off to shut it down.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:35 PM
May have a loose ground wire somewhere. I would also check the trucks battery, may have a bad cell.

Old 07-31-2013, 11:28 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
YES! The TPMS and remote Key fob DO use the same antenna so at least part of the reciever is going to be common.

Ok just looked at electrical manual. It shows the recievers as being separate FUNCTIONAL black boxs but with a common antenna. It's all part of the Smart Junction Box. Those areas are powered by a 10A fuse (F5). I think it's also on the SJB but I'm not sure. The keypad and keypad illumination are powered by the same fuse so if it's a fuse problem they should fail at the same time.

I THINK the radio separate but didn't check. So I THINK radio problem is unrelated unless there's a major power problem.

Is your TPMS losoing data for ALL wheels or only one? If one then it's probably a sensor problem but if all then I'd look at the TPMS reciever on the SJB.

FWIW the Ford eelctrical manual doesn't give any significant detail on the TMPS reciever or RKE reciever. It only shows them as functional black boxs with a common antenna and as part of the physical SJB. Those (and other) areas are protected by F5. So no other detail is available, at least from this manual.

Old 07-31-2013, 12:07 PM
It doesnt say which TPMS just says tire pressure sensor fault. Radio, that got fixed they had to recalibrate after installing a new battery

Hmmm.....Interesting where does one find the antenna?

Old 08-01-2013, 09:58 AM
Antenna is usualy just a piece of wire or maybe a pattern on a circuit board so I doubt that it would go bad. But it feeds a small RF amplifier, usually a MOS FET Transistor and those are very sensative and can be blown easily. It's all part of the SJB (Smart Junction Box) which is a MAJOR electrical component and probably very expensive. If you want to repair it, you'll have to find someone very knowledgable in electronics and they'll have to reverse engineer the circuits to find the parts and test them since Ford doesn't give ANY repair info. There are a few threads on the net about people working on the SJB to fix door locking problems, that's about the only info available on repairing the SJB IF that's even the problem.

Look at your owner's manual. A failure of the TPMS gives one error message and failure of one tire sensor gives a similar but different message. Also try the TPMS tire learning routine and see if all tires pass or none pass or only three pass. That'll tell if the WHOLE system is working or completely failed OR if only one tire sensor is failing respectively. If the system registers at least one tire then the TPMS reciever and antenna are >probably< ok.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:06 AM
PS Taking your message literally, "tire pressure sensor fault", it sounds like only one sensor has failed (or tire pressure is low). But post the *exact* error message and someone will tell if it means the system or just one tire. BTW have you checked the pressure in the tires INCLUDING the spare?

FWIW I'm sort of going through the same thing on my 2010 FX-4. It says Tire Pressure Monitoring System Failure and will not read the front right tire so it appears to just be that one sensor is bad. My tire shop and stealership are both being real vague about dieagnosing and fixing the problem so I haven't taken it in. I'm just living with it until I can learn more and/or buy my own tire sensor reset tool.

Old 08-01-2013, 03:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Joe, the word stealership brings out a monster with a huge head around here. If you're lucky, you'll meet him one day. You'll know him when you see him by his God complex and derogatory comments.

DUCK, He's coming.

Quick Reply: 2010 with odd electrical problems