F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   2009 - 2014 F-150 (https://www.f150online.com/forums/2009-2014-f-150-105/)
-   -   Ecoboost turbo / wastegate crapped out [VIDEO] (https://www.f150online.com/forums/2009-2014-f-150/483160-ecoboost-turbo-wastegate-crapped-out-video.html)

Ragged05FX4 02-14-2013 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Wookie (Post 4954637)
I don't see this happening. The turbos on the truck EB are made by Borg-Warner who has been making turbos for about as long as anyone on the market. They supply most of the turbos to VW/Audi some Porsche motors and I believe some of the BMWs. While I can understand your frustrating at having gotten a pair of bad ones, I would chalk this up to a manufacturing defect not a problem with the design.

True, they are pretty much the Budweiser of turbos. But maybe just a bad design, as the number of these issues & underboost codes are seeming to grow on the forums. Hell, there's three trucks with the bad turbos within days of eachother on this site alone last week. I'm not even frustrated, I'm loving my loaner, but I also know Ford having a certain history of being a stick in the mud and hiding it when they know they have a problem on their hands.

NASSTY 02-14-2013 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Ragged05FX4 (Post 4954638)
True, they are pretty much the Budweiser of turbos. But maybe just a bad design, as the number of these issues & underboost codes are seeming to grow on the forums. Hell, there's three trucks with the bad turbos within days of eachother on this site alone last week. I'm not even frustrated, I'm loving my loaner, but I also know Ford having a certain history of being a stick in the mud and hiding it when they know they have a problem on their hands.

Yeah, about 5 reported tubo failures on about 500,000 Ecoboost F150's sold in the last 3 years. That's an astronomical failure rate. :rolleyes:

Lusso 02-14-2013 11:54 PM

Im glad to hear, that you'll be getting replacement turbos soon. No info on mine yet, at least got my replacement truck l, so I started catching up on work:) I don't think ford's turbos are bad, but I still will start educating myself on turbos, how they work & how to fix them and whatnot:) In case mine breaks down again:)

Posted from F150online.com App for Android

Wookie 02-15-2013 10:02 AM

They make rebuild kits for most turbos. I checked on the F150s and they were in the $100 range from what I remember.

If might crap out outside of warranty I'll be very tempted to go bigger.

mkosu04 02-15-2013 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by NASSTY (Post 4954643)
Yeah, about 5 reported tubo failures on about 500,000 Ecoboost F150's sold in the last 3 years. That's an astronomical failure rate. :rolleyes:

actually that is rather high. That would be 10 PPM. Most automotive suppliers keep their rates a lot lower than that.

Ragged05FX4 02-15-2013 12:35 PM

What's your source on this? Plus if this were true, that's reported turbo failures, my post was about unreported and currently unknown problems with "marginal leaking". Trust me, I'm die-hard blue oval, this is my sixth F-150, and have owned nothing but Ford/Lincoln. I love my ecoboost. That's why I don't want them effing this ecoboost thing up as they are putting a lot of their chips in that basket. Perception is everything, that's why people still buy Toyotas.

Originally Posted by Wookie (Post 4954797)
They make rebuild kits for most turbos. I checked on the F150s and they were in the $100 range from what I remember.

If might crap out outside of warranty I'll be very tempted to go bigger.

I found BorgWarner EFR has that single 71mm replacement kit for the ecoboost made for racing :rocker:.

Lusso 02-15-2013 07:34 PM

Well I've already done HIDs, headlight & taillight replacement, rear bumper & bull bar installs by myself on my previous f-150
, maybe turbos are next:))

Wookie 02-15-2013 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Ragged05FX4 (Post 4954849)
I found BorgWarner EFR has that single 71mm replacement kit for the ecoboost made for racing :rocker:.

You mean these... EFR.pdf

The other option would be to switch to the Garrett turbos used on the SHO. They are a little bigger so spool time will go up but they should be able to pull harder on the top end. These could be a cheap salvage yard find if you're lucky.

Ragged05FX4 02-19-2013 09:00 PM

UPDATE: Turbos are in, They say its a big job and are aiming to have it done by Friday but no promises.

Ragged05FX4 03-01-2013 04:30 PM

Final Update:
Haven't posted in a while since I've been so busy and I hate sitting at a computer after squashing into a Taurus loaner all day. But my truck is READY! After I last posted, they had a bitch of a time getting the driver side turbo off, and ended up breaking a bolt or two and having to drill them out. I'm guessing that thing got crazy hot. I visited them one day and had them take me back to visit my ol' girl and they had just found an oil leak on the front of the engine from the head (I guess they don't use gaskets on the ecoboost??) on top of everything else. So after they tore into the top end to fix that, they discovered the inside of my intake manifold had MELTED!!!! They just so happen to be on backorder but they worked some magic and got another dealership to overnight one to them. So after all that extra work, two new turbo assemblies, resealed top end, and a new intake manifold, my truck should be as good as new. Cannot WAIT to get it back!

Also would like to give a huge plug to Hines Park Ford's service department. I've been to a couple other services in my area over the years and I'm really impressed with them. They started out with giving me a sweet loaner, gave me almost daily updates, tracked down parts quickly, were very polite, and had no issues with taking me back in the bay to show me the progress being made.

Lusso 03-01-2013 10:56 PM

Glad to hear its over for you, man! I'm picking mine up on Monday. They got replacement turbos a few days ago & worked their magic to have it fixed asap. Now I'm just hoping my wife doesn't go into labor before I get my truck back:)))) 38 weeks:)

blueovelboy 03-02-2013 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by Lasso (Post 4960035)
Glad to hear its over for you, man! I'm picking mine up on Monday. They got replacement turbos a few days ago & worked their magic to have it fixed asap. Now I'm just hoping my wife doesn't go into labor before I get my truck back:)))) 38 weeks:)

Originally Posted by Ragged05FX4 (Post 4959952)
Final Update:
Haven't posted in a while since I've been so busy and I hate sitting at a computer after squashing into a Taurus loaner all day. But my truck is READY! After I last posted, they had a bitch of a time getting the driver side turbo off, and ended up breaking a bolt or two and having to drill them out. I'm guessing that thing got crazy hot. I visited them one day and had them take me back to visit my ol' girl and they had just found an oil leak on the front of the engine from the head (I guess they don't use gaskets on the ecoboost??) on top of everything else. So after they tore into the top end to fix that, they discovered the inside of my intake manifold had MELTED!!!! They just so happen to be on backorder but they worked some magic and got another dealership to overnight one to them. So after all that extra work, two new turbo assemblies, resealed top end, and a new intake manifold, my truck should be as good as new. Cannot WAIT to get it back!

Also would like to give a huge plug to Hines Park Ford's service department. I've been to a couple other services in my area over the years and I'm really impressed with them. They started out with giving me a sweet loaner, gave me almost daily updates, tracked down parts quickly, were very polite, and had no issues with taking me back in the bay to show me the progress being made.

well if nassty is wright the two of you should go get lotto tickets becuse ether you to are lucky or your just 2 ot of the 5 still with 500,000 thats dam fine odds! hope your trucks work better now!

°°Pat°° 03-03-2013 01:41 PM

I'm sure the 500 000 F150 Ecoboost owner are registred on the forum...

NASSTY 03-03-2013 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by °°Pat°° (Post 4960503)
I'm sure the 500 000 F150 Ecoboost owner are registred on the forum...

You are?? I don't think there is quite that many.

92497pmu 01-10-2015 11:13 AM

New update- P0299 code, turbo failure

So the updated news from California as follows
Here's the rest of my sob story ...
https://www.f150online.com/forums/v6...ml#post5127470

I ran it to an autozone and got a P0299 code.
Ford service called me yesterday that this got set by a turbo failure.
Some type of oil leak in/ around the turbo.
Some type of low pressure event.
Turbo is failing and only giving about 4 PSI max.

If anyone has had these events - looking to hear about your situation.