2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Ecoboost turbo / wastegate crapped out [VIDEO]

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 03:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ecoboost turbo / wastegate crapped out [FIXED]

Just thought I'd share my latest EB experience. Driving my 2011 EcoBoost XLT in between job sites today and had a sudden howl then whine come from the engine, then huge power loss. The turbo(s) are making a siren like high pitch whining if my foot is on the gas at all. It feels like I have about 100 hp. I drove it home being afraid to drive it anymore until I get her into the dealer.
Anyone else have this issue this bad? I've seen some people say they had a P0299 but no noise.

Code P0299 Turbo Underboost.

Other than the annoying ticking (which turned out to be a plastic shroud) when I bought the truck, this is my first negative issue with the E.B. @ 18,200 miles.

Update 2/8/2013: Had to drive it today, turbos have completely stopped making noise so I thought the problem fixed itself, but then on the freeway, no power again, computer showing 0 psi, mileage actually around the same as before. Going to try to get it into the dealership today if they can promise a free rental.

Update 2/8/2013: Soon after I posted my last update, truck started puffing blue smoke out the exhaust like a damn locomotive, called closest dealer and asked if I should pull over and shut her down, or if they wanted me to try to make it (5 minutes away) since I was on a freeway with no shoulder & I had my kid in the truck. They told me to go for it as long as it was running ok other than the smoke & low power. Made it there and smoked up the parking lot lol. Stunk up the whole service bay until I left. They can't look at it until Monday.

Update 2/13/2013:
Talked to dealership today, they said they removed everything around the turbo and when they start the engine it is spraying oil. They were calling Ford's hotline to find out wtf to do next and/or get an approval to replace the turbo.
Also talked to my cousin who's a prototype mechanic and he is none too impressed with the BorgWarner turbos. Not very promising.

UPDATE 2/14/2013: Dealership called, they have ordered two new turbos. The driver's side turbo was completely destroyed and spraying oil everywhere, the passenger side was leaking "marginally". They should be there by Monday if there's no current backorders. I asked about anything that could of caused this, wrong oil, too aggressive driving, but they said no to everything, basically just a coincidence that both turbos were bad. Which makes me wonder how many EB F150's are driving around "Marginally" leaking oil from their turbos into the exhaust system?

Final Update:
Haven't posted in a while since I've been so busy and I hate sitting at a computer after squashing into a Taurus loaner all day. But my truck is READY! After I last posted, they had a bitch of a time getting the driver side turbo off, and ended up breaking a bolt or two and having to drill them out. I'm guessing that thing got crazy hot. I visited them one day and had them take me back to visit my ol' girl and they had just found an oil leak on the front of the engine from the head (I guess they don't use gaskets on the ecoboost??) on top of everything else. So after they tore into the top end to fix that, they discovered the inside of my intake manifold had MELTED!!!! They just so happen to be on backorder but they worked some magic and got another dealership to overnight one to them. So after all that extra work, two new turbo assemblies, resealed top end, and a new intake manifold, my truck should be as good as new. Cannot WAIT to get it back!

Also would like to give a huge plug to Hines Park Ford's service department. I've been to a couple other services in my area over the years and I'm really impressed with them. They started out with giving me a sweet loaner, gave me almost daily updates, tracked down parts quickly, were very polite, and had no issues with taking me back in the bay to show me the progress being made.

Last edited by Ragged05FX4; 03-01-2013 at 04:33 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:52 PM
Keep us updated please

Old 02-08-2013, 11:48 AM
Originally Posted by Ragged05FX4
Update 2/8/2013: Had to drive it today, turbos have completely stopped making noise, computer showing 0 psi, mileage actually around the same as before. Going to try to get it into the dealership today if they can promise a free rental.
How do you know the boost PSI? Do you have an aftermarket gauge or is there a trick to showing it on the computer?

Old 02-09-2013, 12:17 PM
Originally Posted by mkosu04
How do you know the boost PSI? Do you have an aftermarket gauge or is there a trick to showing it on the computer?
Borrowed a fancy OBD2 tool

Old 02-13-2013, 12:26 AM
Hey. I just posted about my turbo failing after only 9000km. Im starting to feel, like I should've gotten a V8.

Old 02-13-2013, 01:13 AM
blue smoke can mean oil in turbos. im assuming the eb turbos are oil cooled but i dont know for sure. but i would bet that you have a boost leak somewhere. look at your intercooler piping and find the leak!

Last edited by jdeacon; 02-13-2013 at 01:32 AM.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:11 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Like the commercial?

Originally Posted by Lusso
Hey. I just posted about my turbo failing after only 9000km. Im starting to feel, like I should've gotten a V8.
"Should have had a V8?"

Old 02-13-2013, 08:07 PM
Originally Posted by jdeacon
blue smoke can mean oil in turbos. im assuming the eb turbos are oil cooled but i dont know for sure. but i would bet that you have a boost leak somewhere. look at your intercooler piping and find the leak!
I don't think they ever made a real turbo that isn't oil cooled. The make them with optional water cooling but oil is mandatory.
Not sure about why oil would be leaking out of the turbo seals and burning in the exhaust in relation to boost levels?

Hope they get the new turbo/turbos on and get your truck back to running quickly.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:59 PM
Originally Posted by daggysvo
I don't think they ever made a real turbo that isn't oil cooled. The make them with optional water cooling but oil is mandatory.
Not sure about why oil would be leaking out of the turbo seals and burning in the exhaust in relation to boost levels?

Hope they get the new turbo/turbos on and get your truck back to running quickly.
Ya i thought them were oil cooled, just wasnt sure. if he blew a seal and fried his turbos that could explain the lack of boost. but i highly doubt that is the case. major boost leak sounds more likely

Old 02-13-2013, 09:42 PM
Talked to dealership today, they said they removed everything around the turbo and when they start the engine it is spraying oil. They were calling Ford's hotline to find out wtf to do next and/or get an approval to replace the turbo.

Also talked to my cousin who's a prototype mechanic and he is none too impressed with the BorgWarner turbos. Not very promising.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:12 PM
hmm guess my original guess was right. weird to see a seal (or other part) go bad that early. keep us updated on what it was, im curious now

Old 02-14-2013, 02:15 PM
UPDATE: Dealership called, they have ordered two new turbos. The driver's side turbo was completely destroyed and spraying oil everywhere, the passenger side was leaking "marginally". They should be there by Monday if there's no current backorders. I asked about anything that could of caused this, wrong oil, too aggressive driving, but they said no to everything, basically just a coincidence that both turbos were bad. Which makes me wonder how many EB F150's are driving around "Marginally" leaking oil from their turbos into the exhaust system?

Maybe time for Ford to find a new turbo supplier before this becomes a huge issue?

Old 02-14-2013, 06:51 PM
Originally Posted by jdeacon
Ya i thought them were oil cooled, just wasnt sure. if he blew a seal and fried his turbos that could explain the lack of boost. but i highly doubt that is the case. major boost leak sounds more likely
The Ecoboost's turbos are water cooled, but the bearings still need oil.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:44 PM
Originally Posted by MrEvil
The Ecoboost's turbos are water cooled, but the bearings still need oil.
hence the healthly mix of white & blue smoke I was getting. Still trying to pinpoint that heavy sulfur smell me and the whole service bay smelled when I pulled in. Maybe something burning off in the cats, who knows now

Old 02-14-2013, 07:48 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Ragged05FX4
...Maybe time for Ford to find a new turbo supplier before this becomes a huge issue?
I don't see this happening. The turbos on the truck EB are made by Borg-Warner who has been making turbos for about as long as anyone on the market. They supply most of the turbos to VW/Audi some Porsche motors and I believe some of the BMWs. While I can understand your frustrating at having gotten a pair of bad ones, I would chalk this up to a manufacturing defect not a problem with the design.

Quick Reply: Ecoboost turbo / wastegate crapped out [VIDEO]