2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Removing the Front License Plate Bracket

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 02:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Removing the Front License Plate Bracket

Received my new 2013 Ecoboost recently want to remove the front license plate bracket. I have the left side bread loaf cap to replace it with, but can't find anywhere on how to remove and replace. Anyone have any suggestions?

Old 01-11-2013, 02:20 PM
Just yank it off. It is held to the bumper by four barbed plastic tabs and there is no way to remove it and make it re-usable. The "replacement "bread loaf" piece is installed by pushing the tabs through the slots in the bumper. I believe you have to buy both sides just to get the left one and they're not interchangeable either. Too bad dealers in single plate states order trucks with the (front) license plate holder just to give them another place to display their dealer advertising.

Old 01-11-2013, 03:49 PM
Thanks. I am slowly figuring out what all I want to do. Next is to find a suitable Tonneau cover and then who knows what.

Old 01-11-2013, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by GoingGoingGone
Just yank it off. It is held to the bumper by four barbed plastic tabs and there is no way to remove it and make it re-usable. The "replacement "bread loaf" piece is installed by pushing the tabs through the slots in the bumper. I believe you have to buy both sides just to get the left one and they're not interchangeable either. Too bad dealers in single plate states order trucks with the (front) license plate holder just to give them another place to display their dealer advertising.
Actually, if you go slow enough, and open the hood so you can start by squeezing the upper tab first to help pry away, you can salvage the bracket tabs and reuse. At least that is what I did so now my Eco has both bumperettes and my 5.0L now sports the license plate holder....lol.

Old 01-11-2013, 06:55 PM
yeah bro i just ripped mine off cause here in mass i have an old green plate so i dont need to display two plates- and the new one just pops right in, cleans it up real nice

Old 01-11-2013, 07:03 PM
Plus the off center plate looks like ***!

Old 01-12-2013, 08:45 AM
I reached behind the bumper and pushed on the clips. Like DDawg said, just push the top tab down while pulling. Mine came out intact. I needed it operational because if i get a "fix it" ticket I'll stuff the EB holder back on.

Old 01-12-2013, 02:23 PM
Originally Posted by Pswole GT
Received my new 2013 Ecoboost recently want to remove the front license plate bracket. I have the left side bread loaf cap to replace it with, but can't find anywhere on how to remove and replace. Anyone have any suggestions?
I have a 2013 F-150 XLT Ecoboost and would like to remove the licence plate bracket also - what is the part number for the replacement pads? Also cost? Thanks

Old 02-01-2013, 07:37 PM
Originally Posted by drswiger
I actually dig it but to each his own

Old 02-02-2013, 07:14 PM
Originally Posted by Pswole GT
pswole, please explain what you mean by the left "bread loaf cap" are you referring to the left bumperette? Not seeing how the left side would fit in the middle since they are angled?

thx

Old 02-03-2013, 03:26 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The one in the center does too on these trucks. But front plates are mandatory in most states so either way most of us have to go with the "looks like *** look".

Old 02-03-2013, 09:48 AM
Originally Posted by NASSTY
The one in the center does too on these trucks. But front plates are mandatory in most states so either way most of us have to go with the "looks like *** look".
yeah i have to figure out a way to put a bracket back onto mine. in mississippi we didnt have to run front plates but now i moved to ohio and they have them up here. i took mine off when i installed the hidden winch mount. maybe i can get away with now having one

Old 02-03-2013, 11:05 AM
^ yep. It's just a $20 fix it ticket in Cal. I have never received a ticket yet for not having one. This is counting all 20 years of driving. I take my chances instead of having some god awful plate ruining the look of my vehicles. I've received other tickets ( speeding, illegal stop, etc.), but even then they didn't go around the vehicle to ring me up for everything.

Old 02-03-2013, 11:38 AM
What kind of *** have you been looking at?

Old 02-04-2013, 11:00 AM
Originally Posted by hydro1
^ yep. It's just a $20 fix it ticket in Cal. I have never received a ticket yet for not having one. This is counting all 20 years of driving. I take my chances instead of having some god awful plate ruining the look of my vehicles. I've received other tickets ( speeding, illegal stop, etc.), but even then they didn't go around the vehicle to ring me up for everything.
Just be sure you zip tie one on for LAX cause they have plenty of revenue generation officers there and will find it and ticket you even if you make it to the parking lot...when you return you will have a ticket on your windshield!

Quick Reply: Removing the Front License Plate Bracket